Ranges close to Alexandria

What range did you visit, what did you shoot, how were you treated, etc. Tell us about your day at the range.

Ranges close to Alexandria

Postby RWBlue01 » Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:02:37

I am from Ohio. I have been in Northern VA for several years and haven't found "my place" to shoot. I have been to blue ridge. I have been to NRA range. It is just no the laid back, go for the day (shoot the target, shoot the poop) shooting type place. (They are busy and they are business, I understand.)

I am looking for a range to call "my place".
I would love an indoor/out door range.
I would love to have a range that goes beyond 100 yards.
I wouldn't mind paying a yearly fee and then not paying any more.
I must be able to bring my own ammo. (I do not shoot AP indoors, but may if the outdoor backstop is able to take it.
Steel plates like what I was shooting back in Ohio was cool.
Large enough to have competition and have other people shooting would be cool.
Reasonable driving distance...from Alexandria.

Thanks

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Re: Ranges close to Alexandria

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 17 Sep 2017 10:07:22

Thats going to be tough. What you are describing is the 'ol hunting club feel. There are places around that have that feel, but you're going to be going to Winchester, South of Fredericksburg etc... all of which to me miss on the Reasonable driving distance requirement.

All of the NoVA area ranges are pay by the hour type places, and have motorized target carriers. So you're going to find a get a get in shoot, get out, with no 'cold' range socialize time.

There are a few groups around that I knew of that used to have a evening after work shoot, and then go out to dinner as a group that gave the social aspect.

There are also a few Izaak Walton leagues around that might give you that feel as well. I was a member at the Arlington-fairfax chapter, but the guys that run the range there are very old-school. They had no desire for pistols on the range, or rapid fire, steel, or standing...etc.

The nearest > 100 yd range is 340 defense on the VA WVA line, there is quantico shooting club, peace maker, after that its an overnight trip somewhere.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:00:40

JD pretty much covered everything. If you have any interest and ringing Steel or shooting past 100 yards, it's going to be a drive. Very few places allow auto-fire or simulated auto-fire if you're into that type of stuff, too.

I wish I had some different/better news. You're basically looking at an hour and a half drive for the kind of entertainment you're looking for. That would be about the closest.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby RWBlue01 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 03:05:36

I spent a couple hours reading all the rules about quantico. To be honest, they made it sound like a pain and just a stupid moment away from being locked up for life. It may be ok to compete like when I was at Camp Perry, but... The rules are written like they don't want people there.

Another range has limited members, with a 20-24 month wait, with a sizable fee, and requires two members to recommend.

I don't know what an Izaak Walton league is.

What is funny is I didn't miss rapid fire multiple target acquisition until I didn't have it. Now I consider it essential.

So lets talk about talk about longer drives. I feel like I have an hour drive no matter what I do around here.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:01:16

RWBlue01 wrote:I spent a couple hours reading all the rules about quantico. To be honest, they made it sound like a pain and just a stupid moment away from being locked up for life.

yep, nicest facilities around, but there are a lot of restrictions on using the ranges, and lots of rules for having firearms on base.

I don't know what an Izaak Walton league is.

sorry to hear google was broken last night and you couldn't search.

based on your desire for rapid fire disqualifies the IWLA ranges in the area that I know of.

so you want longer than 100, and rapid fire.
340 defense
peacemaker national training center
rivanna rifle and pistol club

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby RWBlue01 » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:54:25

Looks like google was correct, it didn't make sense. The Izaak Walton League is an American environmental organization founded in 1922 that promotes natural resource protection and outdoor recreation. Just not what I was expecting.

I will have to look into the others when I have more time.

The longer I am in Northern VA ,the less I like it.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:22:33

the IWLA facilities vary from chapter to chapter, but most have shooting ranges, archery ranges, some have camping etc...

NoVA/DC/MD is a giant city that crosses 3 states/districts, and more than a dozen counties, and there is hardly any outdoor firearm friendly anything. When you cram 10million + people in, nature is in short supply.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby smltooner » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:58:00

RWBlue01 wrote:.....The longer I am in Northern VA ,the less I like it.

I don't blame you.
Southside, Southwest, and the Highlands are wonderful.
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 19:06:55

I've been wanting to move a tad further south for a bit now myself.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby trailrunner » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:20:27

RWBlue01 wrote:
Another range has limited members, with a 20-24 month wait, with a sizable fee, and requires two members to recommend.

That must be Fairfax Rod and Gun club. I know a guy that shoots there, but he is not a member. He is more of a rifle shooter, but from what he tells me, it would be a good place to shoot. Since he is not a member, I don't know how I'm going to get two members to recommend me. It actually sounds more like a golf club, but I do understand that they want to be selective. I guess I don't blame them.

I also looked into Quantico and gave up. Just didn't sound like a fun place.

I shoot at Sharpshooters. That's an indoor range that only satisfies one or two of your criteria -- single annual fee, and close to Alexandria. It's very close to my house, so it's convenient for me, and I've been shooting there for 25 years.

Sorry I can't help, but if you do find a place, post the information here.

trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby trailrunner » Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:25:23

jdonovan wrote:sorry to hear google was broken last night and you couldn't search.

Maybe this will help:

http://bfy.tw/E05X

trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby teebee » Mon, 09 Oct 2017 13:19:14

Is peacemaker worth the drive? Is the 1000yd open a few times a month, or once in a blue moon? Also, does anyone have an idea about how long the waitlist is? There was no indication the length on their website

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
teebee
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
10/22 and a .38

ads

Return to Range Reports