Displaced Utahn, where to shoot?

What range did you visit, what did you shoot, how were you treated, etc. Tell us about your day at the range.

Displaced Utahn, where to shoot?

Postby glasseyeddog » Tue, 24 Jul 2018 08:05:34

Recently moved to Virginia for work, trying to locate a usable range. I'm used to wide open deserts and public land, shooting long distance, something something freedom, something something treading water on me, etc.

Where are the best places to shoot around Fredericksburg? I'm a high volume shooter with multiple platforms and calibers, needing a place that allows reloads and brass retrieval. Distance would be a plus and I don't want Fudds/Cool guys being unsafe and annoying.

Any advice would be appreciated.

glasseyeddog
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Displaced Utahn, where to shoot?

Postby AlanM » Tue, 24 Jul 2018 18:47:52

:welcome:

Fredericksburg is right at 75 miles away from the Rivanna Rifle & Pistol Club.

https://rrpc2.org/

There's probably something closer to you.
If you live over 75 miles away it's possible to get a non-resident membership.
Just a thought.

BTW - Here in the Charlottesville area no one even blinks at people open carrying a pistol on their hip.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Snakester » Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:51:57

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:09:51

Well there is nothing like BLM land in the east, so finding a few 100 acres you can have to yourself for the day, just doesn't happen here.

Long distance in the east, is hard to find at best, and almost for certain requires joining a club/org of some sort. The longest ranges I've ever found around here are 1000 yds, and there are only 3-4 that I know of.

A vote for Rivanna, its a decent place.

You used to be able to get a day pass for the gore camp ground outside Winchester and use their shooting range. It used to be 4-wd access only, and was a bit of a redneck free for all, but it was available, for a reasonable price.

There are some ranges out in the national forest off of I81, but that is going to push you to a 2 hour-ish drive 1 way. The nice part, if you can get mid-week time off, is you can all but have the place to yourself. I've been there on a Tuesday, or Thursday, and seen 1 other person the whole day.

I don't want Fudds/Cool guys being unsafe and annoying.

Better move back to the land without people. Given your proximity to DC the idiocy is high, and they're breeding :hysterical: kidding but only a bit.

Most of the indoor ranges are well supervised, and the RSO's tend to catch and quash this kind of problem quickly.

When you goto the unsupervised outdoor ranges, like in the national forest, or Gore, thats where the poorly behaved redneck + clueless city dood factor goes up quite a bit. But you can shoot almost anything, at almost anything.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby glasseyeddog » Tue, 07 Aug 2018 07:47:39

I'll check out the Rivanna, it will be a drive but if the facilities are good enough I'll be willing to join. Thanks for the advice everyone! My main concern is safety and I don't want to be on the receiving end of wild east style unmanaged ranges, so it looks like I'll have to join a club.

glasseyeddog
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby Snakester » Tue, 07 Aug 2018 20:29:08

The next time I can get a few together to shoot at my range , you will be welcome to join us . I'm hoping for early September. :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby AlanM » Wed, 08 Aug 2018 05:27:26

FYI: Re: Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club

The lower ranges (all the outdoor ranges except trap, skeet, wobble and archery) will be closed to all firing from Sunday August 5 though Tuesday August 14 so that the concrete culvert bridge over the creek can be removed and a new bridge utilizing two flatbed truck bodies can be installed. The indoor range is the only range that will be open for rifle and pistol firing during this time (within the normal rules for the indoor range). If this closure period is either shortened or lengthened an additional email message will be sent.

BTW, IIRC the indoor ranges limit rifles to air and .22lr.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Return to Range Reports