Private firearm sale regs

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Private firearm sale regs

Postby Tan41 » Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:37:41

So I listed a handgun on Armslist, and have a buyer who is also a VA resident. My question is do we need to do an FFL transfer with the associated background checks or not? And if not, is it a good idea to do one anyway?

Tan41
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
CZ P07 Tac
Sig Sauer P228

Re: Private firearm sale regs

Postby Utah » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 17:53:44

VA law FTF is legal, so no need to go through a dealer. However, I write down all their information from their drivers license and CCW if they have it (CCW), they are also welcome to have mine. If they balk, I walk.
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Private firearm sale regs

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 14 Nov 2017 22:49:38

I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what its worth... but...

I believe a "private party" face to face sale (i.e. not earning an income from selling firearms) is no different than selling a used bike to your neighbor, with one exception. It is illegal to sell a firearm to a someone if you know the buyer is prohibited by law from owning/possessing a firearm.

To make sure I don't get jammed up, unless its someone that I have known forever, I tell buyers that I accept ID's that include a valid VA CHP, active duty military (these days its a safe bet), federal/state/local law enforcement ID. Otherwise, my local gun store does background checks for me for $2.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Question and Answer