Pocket pistol must be holstered?

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Pocket pistol must be holstered?

Postby Bernie » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 20:12:12

I have an LCP in my back pocket, instead of my wallet. Am I breaking a law? I was told by someone I work with that all pistols must be in some form of holster.

Thank Ya Much, :tinfoil:

Bernie

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
Bernie
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bernie

My Arsenal:
Ruger LCP w Crimson Trace
Sig P232 w Crimson Trace
SS Sig P232 w Crimson Trace
Remington Modle 1100
Para TTR

Next Firearm:
Something lever action

Re: Pocket pistol must be holstered?

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 21:52:49

I don't know about the law, but it is an IQ test. A trigger that isn't fully protected by a holster is an ND looking for a place to happen.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 06 Feb 2015 22:17:33

I'm with you on that one. I haven't read any laws specifically stating anyone must have a weapon holstered, but its a damn good idea. Sitting on your weapon or bumping it can be the same as pulling the trigger if you hit it right.

There are hard pocket holsters for many compact weapons. They are designed to stay in your pocket while you draw the weapon.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Mindflayer » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:14:26

There are differing opinion on this. If you carry in the front pocket, some say the pocket itself is a holster. You just have to ensure that pocket is empty, never put your hand in there, and only do this with a DAO pistol or revolver.

Others say pocket holster, no matter what.

You gotta do what works for you (again, FRONT POCKET) and train with an empty, unloaded, no ammo anywhere gun.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Chasbo00 » Sat, 07 Feb 2015 13:51:41

A good pocket holster does two things in addition to covering the trigger. It properly positions the gun for a fast draw and it keeps the gun's outline from showing (prevents printing).
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby ProShooter » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 00:14:46

Is this a real question?

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 00:30:49

For some reason, you reminded me of the Beavis and Butthead movie when they were at the Hoover Dam.

Tour Guide says "are there any questions?" and Beavis said "ya, uh... is this a God Dam?"

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:04:24

That may have been the funniest part of that movie. I laugh about that every time Igo to Nevada.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:09:59

Incidentally, I find the question to be legitimate. Not everything occurs to everyone; that's kind of why we have this forum. So we can ask questions and answer questions, and generally share our knowledge with each other.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby WRW » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 01:23:07

SHMIV wrote:Incidentally, I find the question to be legitimate. Not everything occurs to everyone; that's kind of why we have this forum. So we can ask questions and answer questions, and generally share our knowledge with each other.

Thanks for the reminder.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Palladin » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 11:19:55

^ :clap: ^

so Jim's post should have read...

"Come on in for some training!" :wink:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby wscrst » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 12:42:45

I also find this post very legitimate. I do not carry with a round in the chamber for a couple of reasons. The main one is that my pocket carry gun tends to muzzle my children. I've made a personal choice which would not require a holster. That being said, there are so many carry holsters available, especially for the firearm in question, that a holster really is a must for the reasons stated by others: lack of printing, position for a good draw, protection of your firearm, etc. And certainly, a firearm with a round in the chamber needs to have the trigger protected. Thanks for the thoughts from everyone above.
"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper.

wscrst
On Target
On Target

First Name: Dave

My Arsenal:
Sig P238
Springfield EMP 9mm
S&W 3913
Glock 20
Kahr PM9
CZ 455 Lux
Mossberg 835 Turkey
Remington 870 Police
Buckmark .22
Ruger Service Six
Marlin XL7 .270

Next Firearm:
Walther PPQ M2 or HK VP9

Postby Viper21 » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 13:16:47

While no law exists preventing cc without a holster(to my knowledge, *ianal*either), it makes sense depending on the situation. For example...

My everyday carry is an sp101. I carry iwb in a cheap in or outside waistband holster. For me, it's all about comfort. Im so used to carrying in this fashion, I forget it's there (more of a figure of speech than reality). I like that I can carry in the summer wearing a pair of shorts & tshirt without printing. However, even though I've gotten so used to this weapon, & my carry style, occasionally, I will carry my P89. When I am carry the P89, It is not holstered. Simply tucked into my waistband. While rare, it does happen sometimes, generally in the winter. The only difference when I am in this situation is, I will NOT have one piped. While, certainly not as quick or easy to discharge, I feel pretty confident in my ability to pipe & discharge this weapon in the 1 in a million chance I ever need to. Like I said, this isn't an everyday thing anyways but, does happen on rare occasions.

Now..... in the event I had a sa pocket pistol & was carrying it literally in my pocket, front or back..... same would apply for me. It wouldn't be piped. Would hate to have a Plaxico Burress type experience...lol.

On the wish list is a compact .45 for carry. I get all tingly when I look at Kimber's Ultra Raptor. If I ever pull the trigger on one, & actually carried it, I would do so with an iwb holster which in turn, would be piped when carrying.

So.....reality is, for me anyways.... it depends on the weapon, the situation, & what you are comfortable with. Definitely not a one size fits all.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby ProShooter » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 15:19:44

Palladin wrote:^ :clap: ^

so Jim's post should have read...

"Come on in for some training!" :wink:

Looks like its not needed.

Reminds me of the old joke about a set of encyclopedias being for sale. :hysterical:

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 17:43:09

My opinion is that although law doesn't require a holster, it's a darned good idea. Here's a pocket holster that I think would work for you.

http://all-in-general.com/product_info. ... s_id=64584

I also vote for front pocket carry - not back pocket.

Just my two cents.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Bernie » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 19:32:15

I will leave this post with the opinion I came into it with.
If there is no round chambered, and you do not play pocket pool, a holster is not "required". :thumbsup:

As always, thanks for the quick and qualified comments.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
Bernie
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bernie

My Arsenal:
Ruger LCP w Crimson Trace
Sig P232 w Crimson Trace
SS Sig P232 w Crimson Trace
Remington Modle 1100
Para TTR

Next Firearm:
Something lever action

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:07:27

Bernie wrote:I will leave this post with the opinion I came into it with.
If there is no round chambered, and you do not play pocket pool, a holster is not "required". :thumbsup:

As always, thanks for the quick and qualified comments.

What good is a firearm without a round chambered? Seems akin to a car with no gasoline or a flashlight with no batteries.

To each his own, I suppose.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Oakes » Sun, 08 Feb 2015 21:20:23

Knew a gent who used to do gun shows in NY and he shot a gent right threw his sweater pocket when he was being held up. It was a revolver w/ bobbed hammer.

Oakes
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby wscrst » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 02:03:43

Why would one say that a loaded firearm without a round in the chamber is not useful. A round can be chambered during the draw costing me a second. It is like a flashlight that needs two buttons to turn on the light instead of one. It is like a car that needs to be started with two keys instead of one. It is not useless. It takes time but there is rational thought behind it. The car and light analogies are off. How about a fixed blade knife with a sheath or a holster with a retention system. More time. Still useful.
"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper.

wscrst
On Target
On Target

First Name: Dave

My Arsenal:
Sig P238
Springfield EMP 9mm
S&W 3913
Glock 20
Kahr PM9
CZ 455 Lux
Mossberg 835 Turkey
Remington 870 Police
Buckmark .22
Ruger Service Six
Marlin XL7 .270

Next Firearm:
Walther PPQ M2 or HK VP9

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 04:24:11

I have to preface this with... its your life, you can do what you want.

That said, you will have many shooters (especially the defensive shooters) tell you carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is carrying a gun that is not loaded. Technically, they are right. A gun is not considered loaded just because ammo is in the mag. It is only loaded when the weapon is in a condition that, when the trigger is pulled, a round is discharged. Many modern weapons can do that without have a mag in it at all.

Getting back to the key point, the issue is, if you are getting robbed at gun point (or knife) and you draw your weapon with a round in the chamber, all you have to do is pull the trigger. If you have to draw, rack the slide, aim and pull the trigger, the bad guy, who is already aiming at you, simply needs to pull the trigger (or start stabbing you). That's bad news.

Plus, lets assume the worst... because we pray for the best but prepare for the worst. Lets says its really like this... draw the weapon, hope the mag is seated correctly, hope you have the manual dexterity under extreme stress to turn the safety off, pull the slide back all the way without dropping the gun or pulling out of your own hand trying, hope it doesn't have a fail to feed, find your target, aim and shoot. And God forbid you get a fail to fire, now you have to clear that round and try again.

There is a lot of stuff that could potentially go wrong in those first moments. In a real ambush (self defense) situation, many people can't speak, tune out all sound, lose the ability to execute fine motor skills, you experience dulled vision and tunnel vision. You are at a huge physical disadvantage in a self defense situation. Now you have grossly over complicated it by bringing an unload gun and expecting to overcome all those odds.

If you chamber a round before you holster you weapon for the day, you already know the mag is seated, the slide came all the way back, and the round chambered correctly. Worse case, if you freak out and the mag falls out when you draw (yes, this does happen) at a bare minimum, you already have one round chambered and ready to go. This greatly reduced your risk of mechanical and human failure in a crisis situation and provides you with at least one good shot.

Plus, as you draw the weapon, the guy (or girl) robbing you may think you are complying and going for your wallet, giving you a very, very slight upper hand. You toss that tactical advantage away having to rack it.

Now, there is a very good chance you will go your entire life and never need your weapon. In that case, I guess none of this matters. But if you do, I think I would rather have you around and one less bad guy in the world.

Me personally, I practice shooting without aiming down the sights, for improved short range engagement response time and performance. I draw my weapon straight up, while keeping my arm and elbow tucked against my body. Once the pistol clears the holster, I simply pivot my shoulder, pointing my elbow down, which puts the weapon level and pointing ahead... and now, from 3 to 7 yards, I can easily start putting rounds in the bad guy as I push the gun out, get ADS and put precision shots on target too. At 7 to 10 yards or beyond, I'll take my time and ADS for the first shot. A good draw technique is still imperative though.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Next

Return to Question and Answer