New License 30 Day Hold

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

New License 30 Day Hold

Postby wpeed001 » Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:04:15

Hi Everyone,

I just recently started getting into firearms about 6 months ago and have started to amass a bit of a collection. We went on vacation a few weeks ago and during one of the beach days, I lost my license. When I got back in town had a new one issued.

I've been hunting a few times and have been taking my 12ga slugger, and I decided to get myself a .308 rifle. At Dick's I picked out a rifle did all the paperwork and once I was approved (didn't even get delayed this time), the guy came up to me and said that he couldn't let me take it home, he didn't realize initially that my ID was issued only a couple of weeks ago.

I went to the DMV website and printed the page showing the original license that I lost was issued almost a year ago, well past the 30 day mark. I read of the VA State Police page about the DMV driving record and being able to accept it however I don't know how clear it is. The guys at Dick's told me they could only take a plastic ID card and not the printed record. Anyone run into this situation before? Any other local places to find a decent deal on a .308 without breaking the bank that would be a bit more forgiving in this situation?

Text from the VA State Police page:
Virginia Residents - Identification and Residency Requirements
Prospective purchasers of firearms must present a valid photo-ID form issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia that denotes the individual’s name, sex, and date of birth. Where the primary form is a photo-ID issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), 30 days must have passed since the original date of issue or duplicate driver's license unless a copy of his/her DMV driver's record is presented showing that the original date of issue was more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.

wpeed001
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: New License 30 Day Hold

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 27 Dec 2016 09:09:18

What state law allows, and what a retailers store policy do not have to be in alignment. Often times the stores will have a more restrictive policy.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Re: New License 30 Day Hold

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 22:08:13

Had a similar issue at Cabela's a couple months ago. Took three wasted trips up there as different people behind the counter would tell me different things.

I've been in the state for 31 years. Cabela's made me wait till my "new" license was 30 days old to pick up the gun I'd tried to buy over a month prior.

They're scared of getting into trouble, they may/may not understand the law, they take the cautious path vs. the make the customer happy path.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Question and Answer