How to Legally Acquire AR?

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

How to Legally Acquire AR?

Postby tperk100 » Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:37:13

I am a VA resident and my son is a NYC resident. He wants to acquire an AR, even if I have to keep it here for him. Can anyone suggest a legal, not too complicated way to accomplish this? We want to avoid NY / NYC's requirements if possible.

Thanks
Tom P in Sunny Virginia Beach

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
tperk100
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Tom

Re: How to Legally Acquire AR?

Postby M1A4ME » Sun, 10 Jul 2016 19:08:50

If it will be kept in your home why don't you buy it for yourself and let him borrow it when he comes to visit and you guys go shooting?

Not sure how the "gift" thing works. I mean you buy it and give it to him for a birthday or Christmas gift.

I'm sure if you buy it for yourself and keep it in your house and he shoots it at the range (public or private) when he comes to visit then that is legal.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SpanishInquisition » Sun, 10 Jul 2016 19:16:41

You buying it specifically for him is technically a straw purchase and not legal.

Buy one for yourself and let him shoot it when he visits.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby tperk100 » Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:11:08

Yep, I was thinking along the same lines. Buy it for myself. Let him shoot it when he is here. And I might decide at some point down the road to sell it.............maybe to him.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
tperk100
Marksman
Marksman

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:51:46

Good luck selling it to him while he's a NY resident unless you're going to water it down enough to be SAFE Act compliant.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:52:01

M1A4ME wrote:Not sure how the "gift" thing works.

Its a 'transfer', same as a sale works except for the $0 price. In VA at least, between residents.. All ok, as long as no one is prohibited. Between states, get a FFL involved.

(there are exceptions for inheritance, but that's not in-scope for the OP's question)

To the OP, it is highly unlikely a VA will sell and transfer an AR to your son. While it is possible for a dealer in state 1 to sell to a resident of state 2, the sale, and transfer must comply with the laws of both states. And most dealers won't know NYS's laws, or how to comply, so they will likely politely decline to try.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby wittmeba » Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:09:43

AR's are too high visibility at this time. Even a clean purchase will be watched.

I believe that the FFL refusing to make the sale is for the protection of the FF license. They do not want to violate the law and lost their license -- it would close the business and likely cause a financial burden defending any actions.

If I were you I would make the purchase myself for myself. If your son decides to visit or relocate to Va you will have a nice gift for him.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby tperk100 » Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:59:57

Thanks for all your comments. I am going to talk to an FFL or two here in VA Beach and see what they have to say. From comments here and on another forum, though, I do not think him buying the AR or me buying it and gifting it to him anytime soon, or at least while he is a NY resident, is going to happen. We'll see.

tperk100
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Utah » Tue, 12 Jul 2016 07:59:37

I'm a dealer and I can tell you this...if you come in and ask a question about purchasing a gun for your son in another state and you’ll hold for him when he comes here to shoot…you will not be getting the gun from me and to be honest I cannot imagine any dealer selling you a gun. With that said, go into the shop, pick out the AR you want and keep your pie hole closed about what you’re going to do with it.
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby tperk100 » Tue, 12 Jul 2016 19:38:19

Thanks! Already decided I am going to buy (another) one for me.

tperk100
Marksman
Marksman

Return to Question and Answer