Glock gen 2 preferred over gen 3?

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Postby YoungGunVA » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:33:23

Ok, I've had my g19 for about a year now. It's a gen 2 and I have no problems with it, in fact, I love it. When I got it I thought "oh, no big deal between the 2 and 3, just some finger grooves and a light rail". Well I recently had a gen 3 g23 in my possession for a few days while making a holster for a co worker and there was just something that made me love that gen 3 just a tadddd more. My question is this, do some glock fanboys really value gen 2s over a gen 3. Are there people out there that would trade a gen 3 glock for a gen 2? I'm just testing the waters to see if I should post this offer on gun trader

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"I've always heard that the good die young. At least I know that I'll die young."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
YoungGunVA
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Chad

My Arsenal:
Glock 19, Remmy 870 Tactical w/Magpul SGA furniture.

Next Firearm:
???

Re: Glock gen 2 preferred over gen 3?

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:14:43

I think Glock fanboys would have at least one of each. :packin: :packin:

Me personally I'm looking to purchase a gen 3 or even gen 4 since it looks like the spring recall has been taken care of. I would personally want one with the rails on it so that would knock out the gen 2 for me.

I doubt the difference between the cost of a gen 3 compared to what you can sell your gen 2 for would be much, so I guess you just have to decide if your new found love for the gen 3 is worth that difference.

If you did decide to sell your Glock 19, would you be purchasing a gen 3 Glock 19 or the Glock 23 like you handled?

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby YoungGunVA » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 17:55:14

I'd be going for a gen 3 g19. All my handgus are in 9mm. I guess I'll have to see what offers I get on my g19 and what I can get a gen 3 for to see if it's worth it

"I've always heard that the good die young. At least I know that I'll die young."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
YoungGunVA
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
???

Postby Chasbo00 » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:00:30

I'm not really a fanboy, but I like Glocks and have a few of them. I have a Gen 2 and Gen 4 model 19 and a Gen 3 model 23 (latter has same frame as Gen 3 model 19s). Here are my views:

Gen 2:
- No finger grooves (probably a plus, fits more hands and fingers)
- No locking block pin (a minus, not as robust a frame and locking block support)
- No light rail (a minus, it's a good option to have)
- Manual magazine extraction cut out on base of grip (a minus as Glock 19 has a short grip and this cut out can pinch or bite little finger) Not an issue on Glock 17 unless you have super big hands.

Gen 3:
- The comparison baseline

Gen 4:
- Rougher grip texture a plus
- Larger magazine release a plus

Listed below are the components that were changed in the Gen 4 model 19 and model 17 reliability improvements over time after Gen 4 model's initial release (it was not just the recoil spring assembly):
- Recoil spring assembly (lighter than original)
- Ejector (slightly different design from original)
- Connector (new "dot" connector to lower trigger pull weight and make it equal to previous Gen guns)
- Extractor (likely some design and possibly hardness changes from original)

I believe a recently built Gen 4 is now as reliable as an out of the box Gen 3.

I often shoot a Glock 19 in IDPA competition. The Gen 4's rougher grip texture and larger magazine release are the main reasons I prefer the Gen 4 here. Any of my models work fine for me as carry guns.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby YoungGunVA » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:36:42

Thanks for the input guys! I'm not sure of my question was clear though. I'm aware of the differences in the generations. My question is, do you guys think there's a good chance that someone out there who has a gen 3 would trade me or my gen 2 or atleast do you think I could get enough for my gen 2 to buy a gen 3 with very little difference to make up? If you are one of those people who would consider trading a gen 2 glock 19 for your gen 3 than by all means let me know and we can talk :)

YoungGunVA
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
???

Postby CCFan » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:44:32

Only personal preference can answer that question, and about the only way to find out is to try. I'm not about to speak as to what someone else subjectively finds more desirable, and I doubt anyone else here could with any authority.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God.

CCFan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: none

Postby scrubber3 » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 21:19:45

I actually prefer a late model gen 3. I do have a 2nd gen 19 that's nice. My G30 .45 (3rd gen of course) is my favorite and also my EDC. I like the 4th gens okay, but they changed the hardening technique of the slide. I believe they no longer use tenifer. The new hardening technique has yet to be proven in longevity so I will wait to buy any 4th generation Glock for a few years just to see how they turn out. There is also not as much support for the 4th gens as the others.

I prefer the 3rd generation, but that's just my preference. I see not one thing wrong with the others though. YMMV
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Jamie » Sat, 09 Jun 2012 23:25:41

Ha! Thanks for the post, YoungGun. I like the gen2s over the gen3s also for the lack of finger grooves. I don't know if my fingers are gnarled beyond normal by years of keyboardbanging for the guv-mint or what.

Jamie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jamie

Next Firearm:
deer rifle

Postby YoungGunVA » Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:40:57

That's the thing, I prefer the gen 3 over the gen2. I got the gen 2 because I came across it on a great deal but recently after handling a gen 3 I've become interested in trading my gen 2 off to get a gen 3

YoungGunVA
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
???

Postby Diomed » Sun, 10 Jun 2012 01:18:52

I would think the answers in this thread would tell you what you want to know - you've got several folks saying they prefer the g2 to the g3 (and vice versa). So you should be able to arrange a trade without too much effort. Of course, there's the possibility that all the guys who like the g2 already have them and have ditched their g3s, but there's always the one who hasn't you're looking to hook up with...

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Dooga » Wed, 13 Jun 2012 00:18:14

I would love a Gen 2 version of my Glocks, except my Gen 1 G17.

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby YoungGunVA » Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:20:33

Dooga wrote:I would love a Gen 2 version of my Glocks, except my Gen 1 G17.

Well I've got a gen2 g19. If you have a gen3 your willing to trade then let's talk!

YoungGunVA
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
???

Postby Dooga » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:46:25

I have a Gen 3 G23, alas, not a G19. Sorry.

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby scrubber3 » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:52:14

Dooga wrote:I have a Gen 3 G23, alas, not a G19. Sorry.

You looking for a 2nd gen 19? I've been wanting a 3rd gen 23.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Erianerson » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 00:07:12

Regardless of your choice, any Glock is most definitely good to go. As I often repeat to my friends, "You only need two guns and zero modifications: a Colt 6920 and a Glock 19. Spend the rest on ammunition, training and appropriate equipment and magazines

Erianerson
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

ads

Return to Question and Answer