BlackHawk Products Group Hip Nylon Belt Holster RH 4" Md/Int DA RevolverHip Nylon Belt Holster RH 4" Md/Int DA Revolver
BlackHawk Products Group
    BlackHawk Products Group Hip Nylon Belt Holster RH 5.5"-6" .22 AutoHip Nylon Belt Holster RH 5.5"-6" .22 Auto
BlackHawk Products Group
    BlackHawk Products Group Hip Nylon Belt Holster RH Glock 26/27/33 SW ShieldHip Nylon Belt Holster RH Glock 26/27/33 SW Shield
BlackHawk Products Group

Firearm purchase application "delayed"

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Re: Firearm purchase application "delayed"

Postby BW1911 » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:52:00

Made a purchase today at the local gun show. Saturday morning, about 9:15 am, no delay. Just happy to have a fairly unique name. :clap:

BW1911
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mongo

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:08:58

BW1911 wrote:Made a purchase today at the local gun show. Saturday morning, about 9:15 am, no delay. Just happy to have a fairly unique name. :clap:

Congrats on the purchase. You don't run across many guys named Mongo :roll:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Image @OakRidgeStars

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby BW1911 » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 20:05:13

OakRidgeStars wrote:Congrats on the purchase. You don't run across many guys named Mongo :roll:

You cannot imagine how hard it was to get "Mongo" on all my forms of ID!

BW1911
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mongo

Postby ttlphotography » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:36:02

new member to the site today.
Lots of good info. I have alot to read :clap:

My question is in regards to this thread topic. I have only purchased 1 other handgun back in late 2008. It was on a weekday but i was delayed until the next day. I didnt think much of it as i wasnt sure how long the process actually took.
I then legally sold that handgun and still have a signed bill of sale and so forth. So everything on the up and up on that.
Fast forward to a local gun show this past weekend. I filled out the paperwork for a handgun purchase and was told to check back in 30 minutes or so. Well, by the end of saturday, still no answer and just prior to leaving the show, i stopped by the booth on the way out and the dealer said my application was sent "to research". Is that the same thing as a delayed application or is it something different. Its now around lunch on tuesday and still no answer from the dealer in regards to the status of my paperwork.
I have no criminal history. Not so much as a speeding ticket. Im about as low profile and "boring" as they should come on a background check. Ive emailed the dealer a couple times now that i dealt with at the show, but have yet to hear anything in reply. Is there a way i can contact the VSP and check on the status of my paperwork?
Appreciate any help as Im truly new to all this.
Thanks
Tom

ttlphotography
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:18:39

ttlphotography wrote: dealer said my application was sent "to research". Is that the same thing as a delayed application or is it something different. Its now around lunch on tuesday and still no answer from the dealer in regards to the status of my paperwork.

I have no criminal history. Not so much as a speeding ticket. Im about as low profile and "boring" as they should come on a background check

What you are not getting about the process is IT IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH YOU. Its a problem with a close match to someone who is a known criminal. It could be a name, an address, hell for all we know it could be your eye color. But SOMETHING in the automatic check system kicked your application out to manual review. All you can do at this point is wait.

Is there a way i can contact the VSP and check on the status of my paperwork?

Your dealer is the interface to the system until, or if, you are denied.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ttlphotography » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:01:12

thats good to know. calms the nerves.

If indeed its a case of some sort of close match flagging my name, is there something i can do to make it possible to buy at gun shows in the future? If Im constantly getting kicked out for manual review, then the option of finding some sales or deals at gun shows is tossed out the window if i cant do something to speed up the process.
thanks again for the quick reply and the info.

ttlphotography
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby SilentServiceVet » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 14:47:28

ttlphotography wrote:thats good to know. calms the nerves.

If indeed its a case of some sort of close match flagging my name, is there something i can do to make it possible to buy at gun shows in the future? If Im constantly getting kicked out for manual review, then the option of finding some sales or deals at gun shows is tossed out the window if i cant do something to speed up the process.
thanks again for the quick reply and the info.

I've heard you can request a PIN number for the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) National Instant Criminal Background Check System's (NICS) system be issued to you, but have never tried this personally, nor do I know if this will in fact speed up the process. I've only heard that it will. While I do not know for sure where or how to request this PIN, here is the web page for the FBI's NICS: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics

I did read that if you contact the FBI NICS Operations Center, you can request they mail out a request form for the PIN. The FBI NICS Operations Center number is (304) 625-2750. I do not know if that number is valid. The web site lists the NICS customer service number as 1-877-FBI-NICS (324-6427).

My name is so ridiculously unique that I've never been held up longer than 1 minute. Even my CC permit only took 22 days. Thank God for small miracles.

Some ships are designed to sink ... others require our assistance.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member  
SilentServiceVet
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nate

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P226 MK 25
S&W M&P9c
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W Bodyguard 38
S&W Bodyguard 380
Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob

Postby cwfunrider » Sun, 13 May 2012 14:27:04

I contacted the VSP about getting a PIN recently since I always get delayed due to a common name. The way the very helpful officer on the phone explained it to me was the only way one can get a PIN is the be denied habitually, but wrongfully. If there is someone in the system so close to your description that you get denied, you can get a PIN.

The PIN does not eliminate delays since they have to perform the same checks it simply tells them you are not the other guy causing your denial.

I was very excited to hear rumors of a mystical PIN to eleviate my delays only to be squashed by the man.

Basically it means no more buying at shows for me unless the system is improved or the dealer is local.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Previous