Hogue N RB Con TulipN RB Con Tulip
Hogue
    Hogue N RB Con Rose w/TFGN RB Con Rose w/TFG
Hogue
    Hogue Rubber w/Finger Grooves Sig P226Rubber w/Finger Grooves Sig P226
Hogue

Dust Cover

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Dust Cover

Postby ModelAUzi » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:16:17

I just got a LMT Ar-15 CQB 16. Some times the dust cover won't stay closed. Can it be adjusted?

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Re: Dust Cover

Postby meak99 » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:38:55

Under what conditions does it open other than when the bolt is either blown back from firing, or pulled back with the charging handle? Does it just pop open sometimes? Is the detent that holds it closed still tight and under spring pressure?

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby ModelAUzi » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:07:34

The bolt is home and when I shut the dust cover with my fingers it pops open sometimes. I could try it with the bolt open and see. It may be hitting the BCK. Thanks for helping. It's a new gun and the spring seems to be ok.

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Postby ModelAUzi » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 20:54:14

Tried it with the bolt open and now it stays shut. It will pop open with just slight pressure from my finger in the Mag well.

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Postby meak99 » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:15:40

It should stay shut, and then pop open as the bolt moves past - either forward from being released, or back by firing/being pulled back. It can also be popped open with your finger through the mag well... but should stay shut as long as the bolt isn't move past, or you don't pop it open with your finger.

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby ModelAUzi » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:21:48

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it does it intermittently.

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Postby meak99 » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:24:37

Then something it wrong with the detent, or the point where the detent is supposed to hold in place. Where'd you buy it? See if they'll fix it. If it usually sits in a closet and you take it to the range every now and then, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it fixed, check with the seller or manufacturer...

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby ModelAUzi » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:09:27

I will. Got it at Quantico Tactical. Thanks again!!

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Postby grumpyMSG » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:21:15

One other possibility to look at is making sure you bolt is all the way forward. If you look at the side of your bolt carrier , there is a "flat" spot on it, as it slides to the rear it contacts the cover (it actually pushes out on the detent housing) bumping it out and opening it. That is when you have the bolt forward. If you look at the front of the bolt carrier that is where it contacts the detent housing when it goes forward. If you ride the bolt forward, it may not go into full battery, meaning it may not allow the cover to close completely and that may be what is happening with your rifle. If you think that may happening, watch the bolt carrier through the ejection port, and tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt is all the way forward. If you have any doubts take it back to Quantico Tactical and let them take a look at it.
Of course it is in the last place you looked, you're not going to keep looking for something after you've found it.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby ModelAUzi » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:28:00

GrumpyMSG, I think you are on to something. I have been riding the bolt home and have not just let it go all the way. I bet that's what's happening. :clap: I'm going to go slap myself now.

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

ads

Return to Question and Answer