carry revolver opinion

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

carry revolver opinion

Postby CarrymomX2 » Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:42:38

[I just got my CC I am curious to see what opinions are for a good carry revolver ?

CarrymomX2
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Holly

Next Firearm:
hammerless revolver?

Re: carry revolver opinion

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 05:10:42

My sister carries a .380 revolver, though she's not too fond of it. It's lightweight, and it bothers her wrists.

My other sister has a friend who carries a Taurus .357; she loves it.

A nice thing about a .357 is that you can run .38 through it, which is cheaper. Theoretically, the .38 has less recoil than .357, but I haven't noticed the difference.

A Taurus revolver is fairly inexpensive, and they function well, by all reports that I have read or heard.

If you can find a Ruger Security-Six, those are pretty awesome. They haven't been made since the 80's, but they were designed for LEO use, and are over built. I understand that salesmen used to begin their demonstrations by running over the sample pistol with their cars before actually firing them, lol. The only thing is that a nice set of Hogue grips is recommended; the stock grips are too skinny, even for my small hands. Also, it's a heavy gun. But that's good, because between the weight and the Hogues, recoil is minor. The DA trigger pull weight is quite heavy, but if you are firing for self defense, I doubt you'd notice, adrenaline pumping and all.

Ruger replaced the Security-Six with the GP100. Those seem a little pricier, but you can get them brand new with Hogue grips. I've read that the trigger pull is smoother, but I can't speak to it. They seem to have the same weight, if not an extra ounce or two.

I'd avoid any "feather-weight", "ultra-lite", or other gun that makes a selling point of how light weight they are. You really feel the recoil in those. You want to practice with your carry piece, and if it's not pleasurable to shoot, you'll be discouraged from practicing. My sister is a prime example. She had a S&W that she loved, but her husband replaced it with this feather weight thing. She was shooting regularly. Now she only shoots about once a year, when my son goes to visit, and she takes him to the range, as a good aunt should.

So, those are my brief thoughts on the subject. I'm sure others will chime in later. Any specific recommendations, either from me, or from others, do some Googling on them. Independent research is a good thing. And, of course, if your budget allows, you may be able to rent some of them at your local range for a test drive, and you'll be able to see how you like it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby wittmeba » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:19:23

I don't have a revolver but would like to own a Ruger SP101 in .357 and shoot .38 specials. To me even though I have big hands the GP100 feels very large.

The only concern with a revolver is they are a bit thicker than most semi-autos but may not be enough to be a concern.

Attend a gun show, find a booth like Trader Jerry's where you can handle many different types and calibers -- something will feel best.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:56:13

I'll cast a vote to the SP101. About as light as I want to run 357's in. Small enough to conceal.

The GP100 is a very nice revolver, but the grip size starts to push it into the hard to conceal category.

If you want to see what some gunsmith time can do, take a look at gemini can do for you
https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers/

I've got one they re-worked, with bobbed hammer, hybraport and trigger work. A truly impressive change from the factory gun.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 11:29:22

Ah, yes. I forgot about Ruger's SP line. I have no experience with them, but I've heard good things.

Ruger, in general, I hear good things about. My own experience with Ruger products has been good, as well. My impression of the company is that they offer quality products at an affordable price.

Incidentally, there are other calibers, than .357. I suggested .357, though, because while it is a powerful enough round, I am personally acquainted with many women who can handle the round with ease. Some of them are quite the girly-girls, too.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 18:58:48

Before I carried the Colt Mustang, I carried a Ruger SP101 with Hogue grips, and 125 grain Magnums SD loads (less flash- medium recoil)

It's what I qualified with when they REQUIRED you to get training before "Shall Issue" in my county.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 19 Sep 2016 21:49:11

SHMIV wrote:My sister carries a .380 revolver, though she's not too fond of it. It's lightweight, and it bothers her wrists.

Why did she choose a .380 revolver? Why not a .38 or .357?

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby Snakester » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:38:33

Carol carried her sp101 .357 for about 2 years . Now she has gotten comfortable with her SR 22 and prefers it to the revolver .

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 21 Sep 2016 03:46:54

Lol, Jim. She didn't choose the .380; it was issued to her. My sister basically just carries whatever her father in law gives her to carry.

Oddly, her father in law is an FFL, and she can afford to buy a gun that she actually likes, so I really don't know why she is inclined to hang on to that .380, especially since she really doesn't like it.

I guess that it's just not a priority to her. It's functional, it's a revolver, and it fits in her purse, so she's happy.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:25:31

if you can't even tell the diff in recoil between full charge 357's and .38 ammo, you're really, really in-experienced AND unaware. the 380 is most unlikely to be a revolver. It's an autopistol caliber.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 02:08:02

bali wrote:if you can't even tell the diff in recoil between full charge 357's and .38 ammo, you're really, really in-experienced AND unaware. the 380 is most unlikely to be a revolver. It's an autopistol caliber.

My experience with .357's is limited to two guns. You caught me. Pat yourself on the back.

But, with those two revolvers, the recoil felt when firing .357, and when firing .38, was about the same. That was my personal experience and observation; a topic with which, I might add, you are wholly and completely ignorant, considering that you've never met me.

As to .380's, I know the difference between a revolver and a semiautomatic, thank you.

I may not be an expert on everything guns, but clearly, neither are you, Bali.

Oh, look, a revolver chambered in .380 acp:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... y=Revolver

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 09:09:22

You know what I think would be a fairly good weapon for a "kit Gun" carry revolver? A 9 shot .22 MAGNUM....

Paired with a decent bolt action? That's a good combo for general "walks in the woods".

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby bali » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 14:26:10

you dont need much of anything to just walk in the woods. about 90% of the time, nothing's in season, legally, to be shot. I go with a silenced 22 handgun and a pocket 9mm. gotta keep the defensive gun always present and it's educational to shoot live targets with the carry load.

It's best to not be seen with a gun (or heard to be shooting) The handgun's reduced range, vis a vis the .22 rifle, is made up for by the fact that a miss doesn't run off the target (or other critters). They just sit there and be shot at again.:-)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 14:28:28

there's very few critters that require the increase in power of the 22 mag. it's wasted on birds (short of turkey), squirrels, frogs, rabbits, chipmunks, water turtles, muskrats, possums, skunks and the like.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snakester » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 21:58:17

Critters that I feel require the .22 Mag. over the .22LR : Ground Hogs , Bob Cats and Coyotes.....My property in Dinwiddie is loaded with these. I spend a lot of time in the woods and am always armed. I keep my Rossi .22 mag. 9 shot revolver rifle on my gator . It's light weight and easy to handle. I usually carry my Bond Arms .410 Derringer....for those Copperheads and Cottonmouths. Carol usually carries her Judge .410 (5 shot revolver )around our property. We don't hunt too much for frogs , turtles and skunks. :pistol: :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 07 Oct 2016 07:56:19

Snakester wrote:Critters that I feel require the .22 Mag. over the .22LR : Ground Hogs , Bob Cats and Coyotes.....My property in Dinwiddie is loaded with these. I spend a lot of time in the woods and am always armed. I keep my Rossi .22 mag. 9 shot revolver rifle on my gator . It's light weight and easy to handle. I usually carry my Bond Arms .410 Derringer....for those Copperheads and Cottonmouths. Carol usually carries her Judge .410 (5 shot revolver )around our property. We don't hunt too much for frogs , turtles and skunks. :pistol: :pistol:

Agreed! 90% of the time I find that a .22lr is useless for Ground hogs, and we've got 'yotes around central VA now... .22 Magnum just has that good reach that them 'yotes feel safe.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby rifle » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 04:57:45

In no way, shape, or form did my post allude to me being a snitch for anyone. Your post on the other hand, clearly says you carry a silenced 22 and a 9mm. Another one of your "oops" moments.
Trust? Years to earn, seconds to break. Be careful who you trust - remember, the devil was once an angel

rifle
On Target
On Target

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
might have one or two laying around here

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 11:34:27

I like a 38 special revolver. Charter Arms or Taurus fits a budget. Maybe a hammerless model if you plan to carry in your purse.

Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:18:43

but what is the POINT of a revolver in 380? and I DID say most unlikely, so that a sucker like you would search all over the net, but that aint what she's GOT, so I caught you again. Once again, unless the .38 is an airweight snub, using 158 gr lhp plus p's and the 357 was a huge, heavy gun, using abbreviated loads, the difference in recoil is VERY noticable.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:27:33

there's simply no way that 158 grs at 800 fps, normal 38 load, feels anything like 158 grs at 1400 fps, normal, full charge 357 load, cause the latter is 3/4 more blast and recoil. So the gun has to weigh 3/4 more, or the 357' s recoil is going to be noticably greater. But beginners can't tell the diff between a .38 and a 380, so of course they wont notice the huge diff in recoil between a 38 and a 357.

bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next

Return to Question and Answer