Hogue Govt Pau CkGovt Pau Ck
Hogue
    Hogue Colt Government Ambidextrous Safety Cut, Polymer Grip Panels, White PearlColt Government Ambidextrous Safety Cut, Polymer Grip Panels, White Pearl
Hogue
    Hogue Govt Pau S&A Mag WellGovt Pau S&A Mag Well
Hogue

are kel-tec's any good

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

are kel-tec's any good

Postby heavy804 » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 10:59:11

Just was wondering if the kel-tec p11 was a good carrying gun for my 1st firearm or should I go bigger

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

heavy804
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: dee

My Arsenal:
sw9ve

Re: are kel-tec's any good

Postby t33j » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:43:34

Basically nobody can answer that except for you. It'd be best for you to go to a range where you can rent a variety of firearms in different calibers and decide what you like and what you don't. If you're in the Hampton Roads area I'd be willing to take you to my range and let you use my guns if you provide the ammo. I'm sure others in different parts of Virginia would be willing to do the same thing.
Sic semper tyrannis

t33j
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Anonymous

Postby heavy804 » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:47:19

I'm in the petersburg area and ill have to take you up on that offer just to get the feel of all type of guns I'm almost at gun show up richmond hope I have some luck my cousin told me a hi point 9 a do good for me so that's maybe my last result when I get there

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

heavy804
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
sw9ve

Postby t33j » Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:58:58

Well I'm not doing much 'till Friday. Pick a day and we can meet here-> http://www.lafayettegunclub.com/ Ammo and targets are not sold at the range so you'd have to pick them up at some other store/range. Probably closer to the end of the week a friend of mine should be picking up a USP Tactical to replace his USP Compact Tactical so we'll likely be playing with his suppressor.
Sic semper tyrannis

t33j
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Anonymous

are kel-tec's any good

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 07:05:23

I'd advise against a HiPoint for SD. Keltec is much better than the HiPoint IMHO, but I'm not a huge fan of theirs either. I think you can get a much better gun for a little bit more money.

As far as size goes, that is personal. I've CCed a full size 1911, but it certainly takes more effort than a smaller gun. Whatever you choose, make sure you will actually carry it. A pocket gun on hand when you need it is far better that a 1911 left at home.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:33:51

Sig's P238 is a sweet compact carry gun with a good sound safety, IMHO.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby heavy804 » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 22:02:06

i ended up getting a sw9ve for 306.00

heavy804
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
sw9ve

Postby davasmith » Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:55:55

Kel Tec's are good weapons. They however have some of the heaviest triggers I've ever seen on a firearm. You definitely have to practice with any weapon, but with a kel tec even more for control (repeated shots or double taps). I have a couple kel tec's, they are very simple in construction and neither has given me any problems since the day I brought them home. I recommend them, but also to practice with them. IMHO

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby zephyp » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 07:09:00

gunderwood wrote:I'd advise against a HiPoint for SD. Keltec is much better than the HiPoint IMHO, but I'm not a huge fan of theirs either. I think you can get a much better gun for a little bit more money.

As far as size goes, that is personal. I've CCed a full size 1911, but it certainly takes more effort than a smaller gun. Whatever you choose, make sure you will actually carry it. A pocket gun on hand when you need it is far better that a 1911 left at home.

Yep...IMHO the only thing high points are good for is to throw in the bottom of your tackle box in case you ever want to shoot at a snake or something and dont have anything else handy or you need to anchor the tag end of a big jug line....
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby BIGCHEEFER30 » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:03:41

I've owned a Kel Tec PF 9 now for about 3 months. It's is a very compact sidearm (about .88 of an inch wide if I recall), and is very easy to conceal. To date, I've put about 180-200 rounds through it, with only a few issues. The only issue I've had relates to casings failing to eject..

This was primarily my own fault though. A very friendly range officer was able to correct the problem with one simple fix. He noticed that right before I would pull the trigger, my wrists would lift up a bit, in anticipation of the recoil (for a 9mm, the PF9 packs a little punch). This was causing the casing to get hung up when the slide re-racked. The fix: simply remain sturdy and don't give into the recoil.

Also, if your hand is a little larger like mine, make sure you get the grip extension for the magazine (fits my hand like a glove with it.)

Other than that, I love the weapon. The people at KelTec are incredibly friendly (called to ask a few questions), and the weapon is very simple to field strip and keep clean.

Definetly a great sidearm for a first-time buyer. Picked mine up slightly used for $230. New I think they're like $260?
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

BIGCHEEFER30
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: CT

My Arsenal:
KEL TEC PF-9

Next Firearm:
CenturyIntArms- AK?

Return to Question and Answer