9MM Apex barrel on a .40 M&P

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

9MM Apex barrel on a .40 M&P

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 20:52:42

I am considering an SS Apex Grade 9mm barrel for my S&W M&P frame.

I read that it might require a bit of custom fitting and to have it done correctly by a gunsmith.

Once this is done, would the .40 and 9MM be interchangeable on the frame? Only other consideration would be the magazine -- but I have heard the .40 can be used with 9MM also.

Comments?
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: 9MM Apex barrel on a .40 M&P

Postby skeeterss0 » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 08:09:25

I know my M&P .40 has a tight spring. My worry would be, does the 9mm have enough power to blow the slide completely back for a smooth extraction and feed?
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 09:13:23

IIRC, the Rock Island Armory M1911 A2 FS-Target (Combo), .22TCM/9mm comes with a barrel, spring and magazine for each caliber. Looks to me like it might be a good idea to just buy the proper spring and magazine (assuming they are available. I wouldn't think that would cost much.......
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 10:21:38

Interesting. With the Glock conversion it's just a drop in barrel. They also recommend using 9mm magazines instead of loading 9mm in your .40 magazines to make sure there aren't feeding issues.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby WRW » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 10:29:19

ShotgunBlast wrote:Interesting. With the Glock conversion it's just a drop in barrel. They also recommend using 9mm magazines instead of loading 9mm in your .40 magazines to make sure there aren't feeding issues.

You mean the aftermarket barrels?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby ShotgunBlast » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 12:08:49

Yep.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby WRW » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 12:21:12

http://www.handgunforum.net/general-sem ... n-9mm.html

The reason I asked.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby wittmeba » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 14:33:09

Thanks for the info and link.

Here is a listing at Midway of various barrels most appear available. The Apex Grade are certainly more expensive than S&W stock replacements.
Midway S&W 9MM Barrels

I was considering Apex as the accuracy was hyped in an article I read testing the 9mm. It also mentioned "gunsmith fitting required" but did not go into details per this article.
https://www.apextactical.com/blog/index ... p-pistols/

My son has 2 9MM pistols and I thought we might benefit by buying higher quantities of ammo would save us some money and allow more fun time with him.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby WRW » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 16:06:43

FWIW, the site designates that as a replacement 9mm barrel, not as a conversion barrel. There is a difference.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 16:06:36

I sent my question to Apex via their website and this was the reply. For now I will sign up for their news letters & wait patiently...

Hi Bruce,

Our M&P .9mm Apex Barrels can’t be used as conversion barrels. We are going to look at making some in the future but as of now we do not have one. I have no ETA at this time.

My suggestion is if you are not on our e-mail list that you sign up. We send out announcements when we release new products and that way you do not have to chase the information down. Other places we release information are the following.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you check out the following sources of information about Apex products:

http://www.apextactical.com/contact.php -- You can sign up for our email newsletter at this link. We announce new product releases via our email newsletter.
https://www.facebook.com/apextactical -- We also announce new product releases on our Facebook page.
http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ -- Our blog has information about products that are currently in the "pipeline," but are not yet ready for release. We don't update the blog as frequently, but it will give you an idea of what we are working on currently.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for your interest,
--
Have a great day.
Krystal Winter
Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc.
805-528-5250
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby WRW » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 16:41:44

While you are waiting, you could get a threaded conversion barrel with an oil filter silencer or some other such toy.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby wittmeba » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 11:27:23

WRW wrote:http://www.handgunforum.net/general-semi-auto/38521-s-w-m-p-40s-easy-conversion-9mm.html

The reason I asked.

I'm just trying to educate myself and thanks to those contributing.

Reading this article verifies something I thought may be the case. The barrels may drop in place but there is no guarantee they will both point to the exact same POI. With the sights mounted on the slide and the barrel carries the bullet and determines POI it makes sense that some calibration would be necessary each time the barrels are swapped.

So...the barrel sight laser for .40 and 9MM might be in order.

New set of questions. The barrels are always inserted the same direction. The barrel sight laser like any other precise tool it seems it could also need calibration within either caliber. Example: if the BSL points slightly low/left if you rotate the BSL 180° it should now point high/right.

Just curious if anyone has tried one of these and what are your findings?
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Return to Question and Answer