Finally had to get a Commander sized 1911

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Finally had to get a Commander sized 1911

Postby Rualert » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:37:51

OK, so I don't normally post pictures of any of my toys after loosing two safes 6 months after moving here from FL 22 years ago, but I just had to share this with the group. I know it's a RIA, but to be honest, the fit is very nice, so far I haven't found any machine marks on the outside at least, and will get to shoot it tonight, and maybe again on Sunday. My daughter is shooting in the Central district 4-H match tomorrow. So here's a couple of stock photos, but they are very representative of the gun in my grubby hands. I'm at work, so they don't allow us to carry in the building, thus no pictures of my actual example right now, but you will get the idea. I was also quite pleased with the trigger. Someone there has gotten there act together, this is one of the nicest examples I have seen from RIA. I think the finish would be nicer in actual hot salts bluing, but pauperizing is less and maybe faster. Heck I might just strip it, and have someone drop it in their tank.

Pics:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Casey

Re: Finally had to get a Commander sized 1911

Postby cwfunrider » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 16:56:57

Nice new pistola. The RIA 1911's have stepped up their game.

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Rualert » Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:36:06

Thanks CW, I did run a few mags through it tonight while my daughter was sighting in her rifle for the match tomorrow. Not a single hiccup, and I was only doing 7 yard quick drills with a standard paper plate. Every round except the very first one went into a nice little group. I guess one would say the bad guy would not get up from that.

I like it, and if Dominion still hold the IDPA matches, I might jut have to get back into competition myself. I really enjoy coaching the 4-H kids, but I miss shooting IPSC, but would need a good duel more practice and a lot more bullets to load, just to keep up with the required practice.

Who knows, maybe one or the other, so far I really like it, and haven't found anything to complain about. They really did get it together at RIA.

Casey

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snakester » Sat, 22 Jul 2017 17:44:11

I have The RIA TCM22/9mm. Close to 9K rds. so far. Not a glitch of any kind. I did a pretty complete trigger job and keep it oiled . It's a great shooting pistol , very accurate and I love the feel. You will not be disappointed .

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Rualert » Thu, 27 Jul 2017 13:11:54

OK, so as I mentioned I finally got to shoot it. Started with a magazine of random HP's from the one offs, and extras box, some old silver tips, Hydroshocks, some with the pins in them, and some with just huge looking holes in the front randomly loaded in the mag for fun. It didn't miss a beat shot everything and just asked for more. Ran about 100 - 150 rounds of 230 gr ball through it for pure break in, then ran some 7 yard, and 15 yard draw and fire drills on a standard 6" paper plate. All the rounds hit point of aim, and clustered within a 4" or so group as long as I didn't jerk the trigger or pistol around. Took it home gave it a quick clean, not a full break down then dry fired it, and shook it, not a sound, so it's a nice fit but not too tight. My only hiccup right now is I need to mill a small arch in the top front of the left grip so I can install an extended slide stop. My hands are not quite big enough to reach the slide stop without changing my grip, or using the other hand, and since I always keep an extra one on hand, it's a pretty easy fix. I'm just having trouble cutting those pretty grips so many people wine about. I have no idea what is wrong with these supposed shooters that they can't handle some grips with a bit of grit and a solid I don't want to call it bite, but that description does seem to fit, but it's not too rough on the hands. I like them, and they allow you to really keep your hands planted in the position you want on the pistol.

OK< enough for now, thanks for the replies guys, again I'm a lot more happy that I thought I would be, and it's a great gun thus far. If it can take the beating I give it, it will make a good EDC gun shortly, just need to make it to 1K rounds, and maybe replace the recoil spring then,

Casey

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:47:19

I have found that most of the "starter" 1911's are as tight in tolerance, and fit and finish as the higher end.... and in fact, some HIGHER END use CHEAP (not "inexpensive" ) parts that do not function well!

I'll take an RIA 1911 any day.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby cwfunrider » Sat, 29 Jul 2017 17:54:10

I came home with a Springfield RO Elite Operator today in 9mm.

Came with 4 mags, holster, double mag holder, range bag.

Pictures tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby cwfunrider » Sat, 29 Jul 2017 19:22:32

Stock photo.

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Rualert » Tue, 01 Aug 2017 13:22:26

That's a good looking RO there. How do you like the grips, I love mine, but it seems there are a bunch of i guess light weight reviewers out there that think the grips are too aggressive. I personally like the fact that I have a solid positive hold on my 45 when I shoot it.

Again Chris, that's a nice looking Range Officer.

Casey

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Snakester » Wed, 02 Aug 2017 18:05:37

I , for one ......really like those grips ! :pistol:

Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby cwfunrider » Sat, 05 Aug 2017 10:14:55

200 rounds through it yesterday without a hiccup. Smooth shooter. I like the grips, no complaints here. My only gripe is the mags were a bit tight to load. My thumb is sore.

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Rualert » Tue, 08 Aug 2017 12:07:01

I hear you on the thumb bit, not too bad loading a couple of hundred, but after you hit the 300-500 range it does take it's toll. I guess that's why they send those loading things with a lot of the newer guns, but i still haven't quite gotten used to them, so I just suck it up, and keep on shooting.

Casey

P.S. Looks like I won't be picking up any new toys for a while, daughter is stepping up to the precision class in air rifle for 4-H, CMP, NRA, and any other matches we can find. The rifle alone cost more than a Savage Precision Rifle with support gear.

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Ironbear » Tue, 08 Aug 2017 13:16:44

The UpLULA Loader looks gimmicky, but they actually work really well if you have a bench or table to push against. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the thumbs! Highly recommended.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Rualert » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 11:52:32

Thanks for the recommendation, I can most likely swing that purchase, and it would be quite useful when one is loading up 10-15 1911 mags, a few Sig mags, and some others... I also saw the one for AR mags, but then I would really be tempted to shoot way too many rounds if I could load them that fast.

:) :pistol: :machinegun: :thumbsup:

Casey

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby cwfunrider » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 13:48:35

Ironbear wrote:The UpLULA Loader looks gimmicky, but they actually work really well if you have a bench or table to push against. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the thumbs! Highly recommended.

I have one for double stack mags. I'll be getting a single stack one too.

cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 14:25:18

cwfunrider wrote:
Ironbear wrote:The UpLULA Loader looks gimmicky, but they actually work really well if you have a bench or table to push against. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the thumbs! Highly recommended.

I have one for double stack mags. I'll be getting a single stack one too.

The regular one loads single stacks as well. You can get an accessory that helps stabilize the single stacks in the regular UpLULA, but it isn't strictly necessary. There is also a small loader for .22 to .380 single stack magazines.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

ads

Return to General Discussion