Why Hollow Point Ammunition is the Safer Choice

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Postby mmckee1952 » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:08:03

by Drew Beatty

Hollow point ammunition is often vilified by politicians and the media. Many of you are likely old enough to remember the attacks on Winchester Black Talon hollow point ammunition in the 1990s, which was designed with law enforcement needs in mind. News reports suggested that we should all be very afraid of this ammunition, as if the manufacturers were horrible mad scientists obsessed with killing and causing bodily damage.

Medical personnel were concerned that the jagged edges of the expanded bullets would puncture gloves during removal, though no incidents were ever reported. Eventually there was a lawsuit against the ammunition manufacturer after the ammunition was used in a murder spree in a 1993 Long Island railroad shooting. Winchester finally pulled the ammunition off the market.

The truth is, hollow point ammunition is a safer choice for ammunition used in civilian self-defense firearms. This is why law enforcement organizations throughout the nation use it, and this is why it is a good choice for concealed carriers to consider. Hollow point ammunition is actually safer than ball ammunition in a defensive situation.

Critics claim that hollow point ammunition expands upon impact, becoming in some cases twice the diameter of the unfired bullet. This is often characterized as a sinister result, but it is actually an important safety feature for someone defending them self against a threat in a public environment.

This characteristic greatly reduces the risk of over-penetration, where a bullet may go completely through an intended target and maim or kill innocent bystanders. Ball ammunition can over-penetrate targets in defensive situations because the bullet is less likely to deform into a "mushroom" shape, and will naturally encounter less resistance as it passes through a target.

Ball ammunition works to a soldier's advantage on a battlefield, as one shot carries the potential of injuring or killing more than one opposing soldier. In civilian use, this is a tragedy waiting to happen.

The expanding design of hollow point ammunition also creates a larger wound channel in a human or animal attacker, which increases the severity of an injury, potentially making a violent attack end more quickly. This is clearly an advantage in a defensive situation, where stopping the threat is the goal. A larger, more catastrophic wound per round fired can also lead to fewer rounds being used overall to stop attack — a clear safety advantage. Fewer rounds fired means fewer potential misses and less potential for innocents to be injured.

Hollow point bullets, because of their design, are also less likely than ball ammunition to ricochet off of hard objects and strike innocent bystanders. Ball ammunition has a greater potential to retain much of its shape and weight after striking hard objects. The expanding design of the hollow point bullet is more likely flatten out and decrease in velocity more quickly if it strikes a hard object.

Hollow point bullets are a responsible choice for use in a civilian defensive firearm. Modern ammunition manufacturers offer a tremendous variety of defensive ammunition to suit the needs of any customer. Whatever defensive ammunition you choose, it is important that you adequately function check it for reliability in your defensive weapon to ensure it functions flawlessly.
Read More: http://www.secondcalldefense.org/hollow ... 6-95324865
My Thoughts:
You hear gun owners say ball ammo is satisfactory for a defense round, hopefully this will convince them why ball ammo isn’t the way to go.
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
mmckee1952
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

My Arsenal:
1911, Bersa Thunder 380, Mitchell 12 gauge,

Next Firearm:
S&W MP 15 sport

Re: Why Hollow Point Ammunition is the Safer Choice

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:46:51

I assumed this was common knowledge and the argument from the anti-2A crowd was just smoke and mirrors. For decades, I've carried 2 mags... the one in the gun has hollow points for max stopping power and reduced risk of over penetration. The second has FMJ's in the event I needs to shoot through cover.

I mean, lets be real... if needed, we are killing people. Its not pretty and there is no such thing as more or less lethal. Dead is dead. BUT, the drop time and effectiveness is critical to saving innocent life. To borrow an expression from JD, in a life threatening situation, there is a big difference between the bad guy being dead now compared to dying 3 days from now.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:42:00

The next shooting day at my place we will have to do a little "Melon" shooting....Quite a difference when shooting Hollow Points . It's pretty impressive the affect a .40cal. Home Defense Round has on a Honey Dew at 20' . I also like Remington 125 gr. .357 mag. JHP for Boar Hunting in my Henry Big Boy. Never had one take more than a couple steps ! :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:55:35

Just say when. I'll contribute to the melon fund. We have to record it too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 07:51:52

I use hollow points in my smaller caliber/faster bullet handguns.

The 9's and the .40 and even the .357 magnum.

The .44 and the .45 don't see hollow points.

The rifles (except for hunting cartridges) also don't see hollow points. Well, the SIG 556R does but that's only because Wolf/Tula hollow points are the same price as FMJ and I don't reload that caliber.

I'm not convinced the modern hollow points will do, in flesh/bone what the computer simulations predict from the bullets shot into ballistic gelatin. We've been through this before. I'm old enough to remember the testing, computer simulations, long write ups, etc. that preceded the big switch to 9MM handguns in the early 80's by many of the LE departments across the country. Not long after than I also was reading in the LE publications/bulletins and the FBI summaries of LE officers killed each year about the many failures to stop/incapacitate criminals before they shot/killed LEOs. All of that eventually brought about the .40 S&W cartridge after the FBI was unable to make their desired switch to the 10MM cartridge.

My comfort in carrying a 9MM (what little I do) is that, 1. it' got 16 or more hollow points in it, 2. my CZ's are very reliable/accurate, and 3. I've got 3 spare 19 round magazines on me.

I agree, that when a hollow point works as intended, it can really open up to increase the diameter of the bullet and make small diameter bullets act like large diameter bullets. I'm just not 100% convinced they'll do it every time. I've shot too many deer and ground hogs (and trees, appliances, cars, etc.) to know that the same bullets always do the same things when they hit the intended target.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby OldEagle » Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:39:25

The .44 and the .45 don't see hollow point

What's your thinking behind that?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
OldEagle
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bob

Postby M1A4ME » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:26:56

Sorry, should have read "don't need". Not sure why "don't see" is there.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to General Discussion