12ga Home Defense Ammo

Re: 12ga Home Defense Ammo

Postby Chingon » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 08:14:02

Dispelling myths about 12 gauge bird shot in home defense.

Look unimportant, the enemy might be low on ammo.

Chingon
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
FN SPR .308, FN PBR .308, M1A Scout, Ruger 10/22, Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:31:15

"a crater in the skin over an inch in diameter. When the shot hit the level of the ribs, it spread out about five inches. "

First observation:
I would expect the above wound would seriously discourage 999 out of 1000 people from screwing with the shooter any more.

Second Observation:
Load some 00 Buck behind the #6 (I think I'd use #4 if I were going to use a shotgun loaded with birdshot for home defense) for anyone who IS NOT discouraged by the above; because he's going to take some serious discouraging.

Third Observation:
In terms of the legal aftermath, it seems to me you can get in too big a hurry to kill somebody. Waiting 'till the second shot doesn't seem all that pacifistic to me.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Wallace » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 15:01:29

jdonovan wrote:
Wallace wrote:I am not saying it is the only option, or the best, but it should not be completely ruled out.

Hey if you are going to consider birdshot... I'd look into this http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-Vulcan-EBF-25-Blaster/dp/B0013U95U2 too. Real low chance of over penetration, and LOTS of ammo.

My son has one of those and let me tell you what, they aint no joke. A little modification to the spring and it will damn near put an eye out, just ask my daughters! lol

Wallace
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:08:32

If I pull a shotgun out, there's no racking. If things are that bad, I want that shell in the chamber.
I'd like to find #1, but 00 reduced recoil it is.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby mk4 » Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:13:42

Mindflayer wrote:If I pull a shotgun out, there's no racking. If things are that bad, I want that shell in the chamber.
I'd like to find #1, but 00 reduced recoil it is.

I've got a lgs that generally stocks 1 buck. Mostly 2 3/4", but sometimes 3" magnums. Lemme know if you want me to look into it for you.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby fuze » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:30:37

The shotgun is loaded with 3 1/2 #4 BUCKshot. 54 ball bearings. Nasty stuff.

fuze
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Nunya.

Next Firearm:
Colt Anaconda

Postby bryanrheem » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:45:19

Just my 2cents: #4 buckshot I think would be the best combination of stopping power w/o over-penetration. I did research and read that in most home defense situations (meaning ranges of around 7ft), #4 buckshot would penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs w/o exiting the other end. This also means the intruder receives the full force of impact.

Unfortunately, most ammo shops (and gun shows) rarely carry #4 buckshot although you can find it on the web. It really was a pain for me because I want to practice with the load that's in my HD shotgun. I have children in my home and that's a consideration if they are not in the room with me.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby mk4 » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:53:54

Interesting discussion.
I chose #1 buck, over 00, based on reading one of Mas Ayoob's books.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby Kory » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:49:26

#4 buckshot is what a Leo friend of mine used/was issued (maybe) not 100% sure he died recently

Kory
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Wincester 94 30-30
Mossberg 835
Glock 26
Beretta 96 PS
Colt Mustang Pocketlite

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 06:51:03

Kory wrote:#4 buckshot is what a Leo friend of mine used/was issued (maybe) not 100% sure he died recently

LEO's often don't get the best tools for the job. They get what a bureaucrat got a good deal on.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:30:47

jdonovan wrote:
Kory wrote:#4 buckshot is what a Leo friend of mine used/was issued (maybe) not 100% sure he died recently

LEO's often don't get the best tools for the job. They get what a bureaucrat got a good deal on.

Yes and no. The LE market really drove the various ammo manufacturers to develop high quality HPs. Lot's of money and testing because the contracts were so large. It's a good point though, just because LE/Military uses it doesn't make it the "best." That being said, the most common loads for LE 12ga are usually 00 buck and 12ga slugs. Reduced recoil HP slugs are a popular compromise. The best HD/LE 00 buck IMHO is the Federal 9 pellet tactical loads, but my favorite HD load is the low recoil 12ga HP slugs. Those things expand rapidly to about 1.5" donuts and penetrate about 12". Brassfetcher had done a test on them and they blew out the sides of their 6" block (6x6x16 IIRC) whereas 00buck/etc. a 6" cross section was more than sufficient to contain the terminal effects. The only other round I've seen blow fist sized holes in gel after a few inches of penetration is my .45/70 hunting rounds (Hornady FTX 325gr@2000fps give or take). As long as your target isn't wearing body armor, it's as good as it gets IMHO.

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproduc ... dslug.aspx

Edit: As for those advocating birdshot...if it can't go through a couple sheets of drywall, it's not going to penetrate to vitals. People forget that gel approximates soft tissue; skin, leather jackets, denim, chest cavity, etc. are actually worth several inches of gel penetration. I'll take an effective HD load first and then use my judgement as to when/how to deploy it...no point in keeping an ineffective tool around just in case I miss.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby OSU84 » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:24:16

number 4 shot is recommended if you are worried about over penetration. I use the Centurion buck and ball round. It has a 69 caliber ball along with 3 00 buck. has a nice pattern on the target I shot 6 roundss at for practice.

OSU84
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Kevin

Previous

Return to Ammunition and Reloading