Trulock Remington Precision Hunter, Port 12ga Tky .065Remington Precision Hunter, Port 12ga Tky .065
Trulock
    Trulock Remington Precision Hunter 12ga Turkey.060Remington Precision Hunter 12ga Turkey.060
Trulock
    Trulock Remington Precision Hunter, Port 12ga Tky .060Remington Precision Hunter, Port 12ga Tky .060
Trulock

OTR Trucking and Gun Possession?

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

OTR Trucking and Gun Possession?

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:14:20

My girlfriend is a long haul truck driver, and at times, she has to park in some rather sketchy areas. She has stated a desire to be armed, on more than one occasion. Also, I've been considering getting my CDL and heading out there with her.

I'm not too keen on the idea of traveling all over the country unarmed.

Any truck drivers on this site that would have some knowledge in this area?
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: OTR Trucking and Gun Possession?

Postby AlanM » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:12:38

There are NO federal laws against OTR drivers being armed.
That is a fact that Tom Gresham has to point out nearly every week on "Gun Talk".

You would have to obey the state laws of the states you drive through and stop in. That pretty much means stay out of Illinois, DC, NJ, and places of their ilk.

Your problem would most likely be with your employer not allowing you being armed as a provision of employment.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby jrswanson1 » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:31:59

If I were an independent OTR trucker, I'd keep a lever gun in the sleeping compartment. No need to worry about magazine capacity or AWB crap. No one bats an eye when they look at one. Get a 16" carbine in a pistol caliber, you'll have 8-10 rounds on tap and if it's a soft point bullet you can keep it while driving through NJ and NY.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag
Rem 11-87P
Spanish SxS 12 Gauge
ParaOrdnance P16-40 .40 S&W
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger Mark II
CVA Magnum black powder rifle
Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WM
Keltec PF9
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
RIA 1911 Bright Nickel .45 ACP
Enfield No. 1 Mark III*
Vz54/91
Vz52
Model of 1917 Enfield
Fazakerly No. 4 Mk I South African issued
Lithgow No. 1 Mk. III
Vz-24
Ishapore 2a
Enfield No.1 Mk III Republic of Ireland issued

Next Firearm:
Who am I kidding

Postby gunderwood » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:41:45

jrswanson1 wrote:Get a 16" carbine in a pistol caliber, you'll have 8-10 rounds on tap and if it's a soft point bullet you can keep it while driving through NJ and NY.

If you are going that far, why bother with a pistol caliber? Get it in .45-70 and load it with Hornady's 325gr FTX cartridges. Things make a fist size hole after about 3" of penetration.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:07:59

Thank you for the input, Gentlemen.

The whole National Reciprocity thing regarding permits for concealed carry seemed like it would have been useful for truckers.
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Palladin » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:56:57

gunderwood wrote:
jrswanson1 wrote:Get a 16" carbine in a pistol caliber, you'll have 8-10 rounds on tap and if it's a soft point bullet you can keep it while driving through NJ and NY.

If you are going that far, why bother with a pistol caliber? Get it in .45-70 and load it with Hornady's 325gr FTX cartridges. Things make a fist size hole after about 3" of penetration.

Plus they'll go flying backwards about 20 feet or so :hysterical:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby GreatDaneMan » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 01:41:16

I almost started OTR trucking but a local company hired me on, not even in trucking either. Waste of a CDL right!

As stated, no federal law against it. COMPANY POLICY aside.. (

Even if you have CHP/CWPs from numerous states, there are still states you cannot conceal in, and some you cannot OC in, and some not in a vehicle. If she picks up a load headed for DC, NYC, Maryland, etc , shes gonna be screwed. You would have to illegally hide it very well. I thought of a ultra light .38 within reach when legal, and stored up hidden behind the dash when illegal... But I thought about it for a few weeks, I would just have a fire extinguisher EXTREMELY HANDY by the drivers seat setup for easy removal. Legal in 50 and a half states. Doubles as a heavy/hard weapon. Crowbar, too, but more hands-on than discharging a fire extinguisher.

Its a toughie. Me, I would probably leave it home. My girlfriend/wife/etc , I would probably send over the road with proper equipment, you know?

Edit- You said you are considering a CDL to team drive with her. I vote this!!! I would love to be able to team drive with S.O. There are many companies that will hire team driving couples, and even send you through CDL training free as long as you stay on for a year. If you have not done so already, contact her current company and see if they will put you through the classes, and then for on road training she could be your trainer if she has been there long enough. Good luck!!!

GreatDaneMan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
I love Taurus.

Postby jrswanson1 » Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:26:28

gunderwood wrote:

So will a nice load of .45 Colt. The difference is you'll still have some hearing left if you have to shoot it in the cab since pistol calibers out of rifles tend to be quieter than rifle calibers. And what's with everyone automatically assuming pistol? Having a rifle like this won't even raise an eyebrow.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag