What should my next suppressor be?

Discussion Forum for National Firearms Act regulated firearms and Special Occupational Tax manufacturing requirements

What should my next suppressor be?

Postby 95taco » Tue, 06 Jun 2017 22:10:29

Looking into my next suppressor (still waiting on my first, Griffin Checkmate, to come back) and I don't know if I should get a .30 cal (Either a Griffin Paladin or Recce 7 Mod 4) for use with multiple hosts (SBR AR, 7.5" 556, 10.5" 556, 16" 6.8 SPC, .308 bolt gun) or a 9mm can for my glock 19 build and a future SBR 9mm AR.

I like the idea of the 30 cal can because of multiple host ability and probably used more, however the 9mm can is cheaper and a suppressed 9mm SBR sounds like a metric ton of fun.

What are y'alls thoughts?

95taco
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Jake

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P 40, 7.5" SBR AR (built by me), others

Re: What should my next suppressor be?

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 12:44:53

depends on what you want to use it for.

if you run any .4 bore pistols, then a .45 bore supressor is usually #1 on the list, else swap for a 9mm/35 bore can.
next up would be a .22 can if you run much rimfire.
3rd is a .30 cal rifle can, does double duty on 5.56, and not many people have > .30 cal rifles they want to suppress.

Once you've got that list filled up, you'll know exactly what can #4 is, and why you want it.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby 95taco » Wed, 07 Jun 2017 20:55:27

jdonovan wrote:depends on what you want to use it for.

if you run any .4 bore pistols, then a .45 bore supressor is usually #1 on the list, else swap for a 9mm/35 bore can.
next up would be a .22 can if you run much rimfire.
3rd is a .30 cal rifle can, does double duty on 5.56, and not many people have > .30 cal rifles they want to suppress.

Once you've got that list filled up, you'll know exactly what can #4 is, and why you want it.

I have a .40 M&P but no threaded barrel for it, it's reserved more as a duty pistol than anything else, I'm in the process of building a Glock 19 but it doesn't have a threaded barrel (Yet) and I shoot my long guns much more than my pistols.
Rimfire can is on it's way, I'm 11 months into the wait on it.

I'm leaning towards the Griffin Paladin (.30 cal suppressor) because my cousin (who is on my trust) is looking at the Silencerco Hybrid so if I want to borrow a pistol can for the occasional use I could use his.

95taco
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:

Postby 95taco » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 13:30:01

Decided to get a Griffin Optimus, I got a 9mm SBR upper for my AR and I really want to suppress it as well as my various other AR uppers, and my .308 so I decided even though it's not the best option it seems like the best option for me at this point.

95taco
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 15:28:47

perspective is what makes something best. If it works for your needs, rock it!

now you only have the waiting to contend with... =(

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 16:03:24

Reminds me of the expression "it's all over but the crying". I wish Congress would just repeal the NFA and GCA. They are both worthless. They aren't even a decent revenue stream for the government

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Ironbear » Mon, 03 Jul 2017 18:42:13

MarcSpaz wrote:I wish Congress would just repeal the NFA and GCA. They are both worthless. They aren't even a decent revenue stream for the government

By all indications, It is probably a negative revenue stream.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Tue, 29 Aug 2017 18:59:52

Its worth a look into Black Aces Tactical. They have developed a Pro series po'boy 5.56 can for 199 bucks. Yup, less than the tax stamp. They have a 9mm and a .30 cal can in the works...with more to follow. If I can figure out how a DC resident by orders can obtain a can, I will definitely probably go 9mm route, multi use on 5.56, .30 cal (future build, 300 blk?) and of course a 9/357 sig.

now, about getting a can being from IN, living in VA but working in DC (military orders)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to NFA & SOT