Silencer myths and facts

Discussion Forum for National Firearms Act regulated firearms and Special Occupational Tax manufacturing requirements

Silencer myths and facts

Postby ImmortalArms » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:30:21

1. Silencers are legal in Virginia.
2. Having a silencer (or other NFA item) does not allow the police, FBI, ATF, men in black to violate your Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures.
3. Silencers do not sound like they do on TV/movies, but then again, most guns don't sound that way either.
4. Silencers are FUN!

Purchasing a silencer in Virginia is a simple process. We here at Immortal Arms pride ourselves on our knowledge of the "system" and making your silencer purchase as easy as possible. We are authorized dealers for just about every "can" made in the US.

Please post any questions you may have or myths you have heard and we will answer/debunk them.
"Come get quiet"
We are located in Culpeper.
http://immortalarms.com
https://www.facebook.com/immortal.arms
Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
ImmortalArms
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mark

Re: Silencer myths and facts

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:43:50

ImmortalArms wrote:3. Silencers do not sound like they do on TV/movies, but then again, most guns don't sound that way either.

Which is why most people refer to them as suppressors. "Silencers" only exist on film, TV or the minds of the uninformed.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:15:38

OakRidgeStars wrote:
ImmortalArms wrote:3. Silencers do not sound like they do on TV/movies, but then again, most guns don't sound that way either.

Which is why most people refer to them as suppressors. "Silencers" only exist on film, TV or the minds of the uninformed.

And a handful of well designed .22lr cans with the perfect ammo.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby ImmortalArms » Mon, 01 Aug 2011 18:25:39

OakRidgeStars wrote:

... ATF calls them that, up to the reader to decide where they fit on your scale
"Come get quiet"
Certified Glock Armorer

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
ImmortalArms
Marksman
Marksman

Postby pedal_pusher » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 00:13:49

actually 'silencers' was an actual term, it's just not used anymore. i own a few brügger & thomet's marked 'silencer' that use wipes for sound suppression, unlike machined baffles of today. the term 'suppressor' for me, just means the difference in technology.

pedal_pusher
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Junior

Postby Taggure » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 08:16:23

All I know is that it makes a big difference on the sound of gunderwoods .50BMG when you shoot it with the supressor then without the suppressor.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 09:49:07

I know that a "SilencerCo" Sparrow on a 10/22? You only hear the slapping of the action... quietest thing I have EVER shot!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby ImmortalArms » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:10:05

pedal_pusher wrote:actually 'silencers' was an actual term, it's just not used anymore. i own a few brügger & thomet's marked 'silencer' that use wipes for sound suppression, unlike machined baffles of today. the term 'suppressor' for me, just means the difference in technology.

The ATF still uses the term silencer when referring to these items. Suppressor has become a more PC term, as silencers have taken on a negative aura of "hitman".
"Come get quiet"
Certified Glock Armorer

ImmortalArms
Marksman
Marksman

Postby ImmortalArms » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:12:09

Reverenddel wrote:I know that a "SilencerCo" Sparrow on a 10/22? You only hear the slapping of the action... quietest thing I have EVER shot!

Attach it to the end of a Ruger 22/45 and run subsonic ammo.....click...slap...BIG GRIN
"Come get quiet"
Certified Glock Armorer

ImmortalArms
Marksman
Marksman

Postby kanata67 » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 03:07:43

I tried subsonic 22lr in my waltherp22 and it jammed every shot. I'm thinking suppressor and bolt action rifle is the way to be real quite.
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

when in doubt set it on fire.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 07:40:47

K, you go with that package?

Squirrels will shudder at the mere mention of your name.

"Hey Frank, wanna run around, and shake our tails? (ZIP-THWACK!) Frank? Wha'...(ZIP-THWACK! sound of squirrel falling)".

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby ImmortalArms » Wed, 03 Aug 2011 21:06:19

A bolt gun setup is scary quiet.
P22's are picky about the ammo. You have to play with it until you find the load it likes. The 22/45 doesn't seem to care.
"Come get quiet"
Certified Glock Armorer

ImmortalArms
Marksman
Marksman

Postby AlanM » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 12:26:35

Now, I know next to nothing about suppressors and currently have no interest in getting one. And I CERTAINLY would NOT improvise one in violation of state and federal law.

I do have an observation:
I wonder how well soda bottle suppressors work and I wonder if anyone at the BATFE has noticed this advertisement.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=606354

It's called the "No Mess" Tipton™ Patch Catcher.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:06:22

I'm fairly cerian the wallmart add this week had both duct tape and pillows in it... I wonder if they know about that add too?

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 19:19:56

jdonovan wrote:I'm fairly cerian the wallmart add this week had both duct tape and pillows in it... I wonder if they know about that add too?

I read a crime research report on suppressors a while back (don't think I saved it off and I don't recall where I got it from), but they noted that criminals know about the additional charges if they use a suppressor in the commission of a crime (technically just possessing one while committing a felony is sufficient). Thus, pillows indeed are the most common suppression technology used in the commission of a crime. A pillow is very effective (apparently), conspicuous and/or easy found on location, carries no additional charge, and is "untraceable."

Clearly we need to bring pillows under the NFA...
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Diomed » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 23:55:00

AlanM wrote:I wonder how well soda bottle suppressors work and I wonder if anyone at the BATFE has noticed this advertisement.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=606354

It's called the "No Mess" Tipton™ Patch Catcher.

Soda bottle silencers work quite well, apparently the old one liter bottles were best (shaving cream makes a great coolant). Every few years someone comes out with another bottle adapter, that is the registered part and the bottle is a consumable, like a wipe.

Those solvent traps have been noticed before, but ATF hasn't said anything about them and I'm not aware of anyone making one into a silencer and then talking about it online.

Perhaps I should get one and see how it performs.

gundrewood wrote:I read a crime research report on suppressors a while back (don't think I saved it off and I don't recall where I got it from), but they noted that criminals know about the additional charges if they use a suppressor in the commission of a crime (technically just possessing one while committing a felony is sufficient).

Do you mean this law review article?

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

ads

Return to NFA & SOT