Best design for 10mm PCC

Discussion Forum for National Firearms Act regulated firearms and Special Occupational Tax manufacturing requirements

Best design for 10mm PCC

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:16:44

So,

I've come to a fork in the road. I'm sure you will say build both and I might later down the road.

What is best design for a 10mm action when running suppressed? I hear that blowback gets a ton of back pressure/gas in the face. This is already a hot round and I do love smell of gun powder, but not that much.

Would it be best to seek a DI system for this caliber? Or get a CMMG Guard radial delayed blowback action?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Re: Best design for 10mm PCC

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 01:17:31

The other eventual build will be a 300blk suppressed shorty.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 07:01:16

I'm a huge 10mm fan, but 10mm suppressed is a questionable choice.

if you want quiet, you really need to stay subsonic, and there is not a lot of choice for subsonic 10mm ammo out there. In fact most subsonic 10mm, is sold under the 40S&W designation :hysterical: . If you care less about quiet, then you might as well be into a more traditional rifle round for your carbine.

So why 10mm?

BTW _ALL_ suppressed semi-autos give you the gas in the face experience. I run DI, piston, blowback, and delayed blowback, and they all spit gas.

I only tend to find the blowback objectionable on full-auto guns, and generally only in the rifle cartridges.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SnakeWIthAGun » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:17:50

10mm has a lot of energy. That's why. And it doesn't cost as much or hard to find like 9x25 Dillon, .450smc or other wild cats that are slowly making round turns.

There are people running 180gn through a .45 suppressor no problem. If I would have to use it, it won't blow everyone's ears out in the house.

SnakeWIthAGun
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
self built AR15
Taurus PT809

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:30:05

10mm subsonic does not have a lot of energy.

10mm supersonic is loud. 10mm 180gr is supersonic in a 5" pistol barrel, so it certainly will be in a PCC length barrel.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 16:46:59

They all are about the same. Some folks have used high-temp silicon to make homemade gaskets...that's about the only improvement I have heard of.

10mm auto is an interesting choice. Should be interesting how it works out in real-world application. On paper, in 180gr, 10mm only makes about 435 ft-lbs of energy at about 36,000 PSI. On paper, it would be louder and have less energy than a supersonic 9mm through a can. If you have the right tools, it would be interesting to see how close the published stats are compared to your end results.

220gr 300 blackout is about 500 ft-lbs and can be "movie quiet" through the right can. I shoot mine without hearing protection regularly. It has lower SPL's than my 17 cal pellet air rifle.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to NFA & SOT