Moving to VA within next 3 months

If you just created a profile, please take a moment to stop by and introduce yourself.

Re: Moving to VA within next 3 months

Postby Jeff82 » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:16:07

Welcome here!

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

Jeff82
www.TheInfantryStore.com
www.facebook.com/TheInfantryStore

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
Jeff82
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
Glockman!

Postby motorcycelnut » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 10:20:39

Looks like we will be around Stafford to look around the second week of January. Looking to get small 1 bedroom senior apartment for the 1st year. Don't know if apartments have rules about firearms, don't wanna ask the apartment staff at this point, but wanna see if anyone has 1st hand knowledge of any restrictions. Looks like my wife will be starting her new position the 1st week of March.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
motorcycelnut
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Phil

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 13:52:57

:welcome:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby motorcycelnut » Thu, 09 Mar 2017 17:42:38

OK. We finally made it and have been here for 6 days. So far so good, still have a few things to do before I can venture out and start shooting somewhere. I hear there is a bulls eye match in Fredericksburg every Monday evening, so hope to check that out. Got my VA DL on Monday and hear I can't buy any firearms for 30 days. Anyone verify that?

Thanks for all the welcomes and hope to meet and get to shoot with some of you soon!

BTW, Quantico shooting club seems to be closed except on weekends and that is spotty too. Been there 3 times on my various trips here in Jan and Feb and no one was there, except one when a nice lady was working in the office, but the range was closed.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
motorcycelnut
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Phil

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 09 Mar 2017 23:35:21

Glad you made it!

There is no limit/delay to when you can purchase a firearm in VA. You don't even need to be a resident of VA to buy a gun from a licensed dealer. Being a resident makes it a lot easier though.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:14:40

MarcSpaz wrote:There is no limit/delay to when you can purchase a firearm in VA.

correct, BUT ignores the reality.

Where the primary form is a photo-ID issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the dealer shall not transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30 days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless a copy of his/her DMV driver's record is presented showing that the original date of issue was more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.

He can't use his VA DL as an ID for 30 days.

so there are 3 "primary ID's" that a dealer can accept.
1) VA DL - residents, non-VA DL for non-residents
2) Federally issued ID that indicates the individual's name, address, sex, and date of birth.
3) ID card for non-drivers

so effectively you need a #2 ID.

Trouble is most people don't have one. Everyone thinks passport, but a passport doesn't list your address, so that's a no-go.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:30:01

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good points, relating to dealer purchases. I actually forgot about that.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 10 Mar 2017 13:31:19

had a FFL so I got the behind the counter view. Fresh DL's were one of the checklist items.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Newgunguy » Sat, 18 Mar 2017 19:46:39

Welcome here! We finally escaped from the Peoples Republic of mASSholechusetts a few months ago to Bumpass and was informed about the 30 day thing with the license and wasn't able to get a Glock 43 on black Friday.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
[url="http://www.signaturebar.com/"]Image[/url]

Newgunguy
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Ruger SR9c
Savage FXP .22LR
2 Mosin Nagants

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 19 Mar 2017 10:30:13

if you find a good deal, remember purchase and transfer are two separate actions, and can be disconnected events.

If you're dealer is willing to do essentially a fully paid lay away, you can buy now, and pick up 30 days or so later when your DL is 'old' enough.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:37:33

That's what I did with my NFA stuff. Pay everything but the sales tax and leave it at the store til the tax stamp shows up. When I pick it up, I pay the sales tax and leave.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Previous

Return to New Members Report Here