US school shootings and gun free schools

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

US school shootings and gun free schools

Postby AlanM » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:43:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

I entered all the info from the above link into a spreadsheet and ran the totals.

Since 1764 there have been 471 school shooting incidents.
471 incidents in 253.76 years.
201 of those occurred before 1990.
270 have occurred in the last 28 years.
1990 is the year that the US Congress passed the School Gun Free Zone law.

Totals:
Deaths: 585
Injuries: 886 (at least) two or three reports of "several injuries" instead of a number. I used a value of 1)

Since the 1990 Gun Free School Zone law:
351 deaths.
524 injuries.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Re: US school shootings and gun free schools

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:31:07

Wow... if this isn't an eye-opener, nothing will be.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WRW » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:03:44

Kinda sorta used that information elsewhere. Thanks for the perspective.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby AlanM » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 12:09:30

I posted it on Quora.com and another person added to it.

For those mathematically challenged:

Before 1990’s “Gun free schools” = 226 years (1990 - 1764 = 226)

Deaths before 1990 = 201. (201 / 226 = less than .9 deaths per year)

Injuries before 1990 = 362 (362 / 226 = 1.6 injuries per year)

Then the Liberal Democrats make a “Common sense gun law” in 1990

Deaths since 1990 = 351 (351/27 = 13 deaths per year)

Injuries since 1990 = 524 (524/27 = 19.4 injuries per year)

Remember folks, this is (as far as I know) just the “Schools”, add in the theater shootings, Mall shootings, Bar shootings and other “Gun Free Zone” shootings and the math is pretty easy, it is a glaring failure.

Add in the high gun restricted cities like Chicago, DC, Detroit, LA, New Orleans that the Liberal Democrats have implemented their “Common sense gun control” laws, and you can see yet another glaring failure.

Yet these same people, AND the media, will use these same statistics to justify MORE “Common sense gun laws”. They claim they are looking our for YOUR best interests. And you still believe them?

The conversation between us continued with:
ME
Thank You, I’ve been going under the assumption that our target audience could see the implications of my post without spelling it out in words a fifth grader could understand.

One caveat, those numbers are totals and don’t take into consideration the US population increase curve from 1764 to today.

From Demographic history of the United States - Wikipedia
the population of the colonies at that time was between 1.5 and 2.1 million. Not counting Native Americans.

May I add your text to mine for the next time(s) I respond with my stats?

HIM:
Correct, nor does it list other “gun free zones”, and does add in victims that occurred outside (usually at home) before the actual school incident. These actually artificially inflate the pre 1990 numbers.

After reading through your link, it should also be considered that most shooting incidents would not qualify as “Mass shootings”, especially before 1990. And many of those were deemed accidental, because there was no intent. Gun clubs, hunting guns in kept in vehicles were common and accidents do happen. Link was a good read, thanks for adding it.

And of course you may add any of my info to yours,… just in case there are mathematically challenged reading, or just need it spelled out.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

ads

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)