Republicans Cave; House to Vote on Gun Control Next Week

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Republicans Cave; House to Vote on Gun Control Next Week

Postby ShotgunBlast » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 21:44:49

And here I thought parenting 101 was that when your little brat throws a hissy fit, you don't reward them by giving them what they want. :dunno:

WASHINGTON (AP) — With Democrats applying election-year pressure to act on gun control, Republican Speaker Paul Ryan said Thursday the House will vote next week on a GOP proposal aimed at keeping suspected terrorists from obtaining firearms.

Democrats indicated that by itself, Ryan's plan would not quell the partisan showdown that has intensified since the June 12 mass shooting in Orlando, Florida. Two Republicans said the House is expected to vote on legislation resembling a National Rifle Association-backed bill that the Senate rejected last week and was opposed by most Democrats.

In a conference call with GOP lawmakers, Ryan, R-Wis., said the House will consider broad legislation also aimed at preventing extremist groups from radicalizing and recruiting sympathizers. He said lawmakers will also vote on buttressing mental health programs.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ryan-house-v ... itics.html

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Republicans Cave; House to Vote on Gun Control Next Week

Postby thekinetic » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 08:38:18

Republicans, there are no more republicans. Now they're just democraps under a different name!
'Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!'
-In Exterminatus Extremis

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
thekinetic
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jon

My Arsenal:
Error 404 Guns Not Found

Postby NewColonial » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 10:18:10

What will be even more telling than him allowing the vote, will be seeing how the RINOs vote.
"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
--Saint Augustine

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
NewColonial
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: David

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 12:45:42

I have dreamed of a Nation of men with integrity, love of Freedom and fellow man, but that dream is now gone from me. Stolen in death... death by 1,000 lashes.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby FiremanBob » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:55:21

Is it possible that this bill is designed to be voted down, so that Demonrats can't say the Republicans have done nothing about the issue? Even better if the Demorats are the ones who vote against it.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 20:57:42

On TV today, several members of the House of Representatives said that leadership is fast-tracking some bills to a vote this week in which they are voting to arbitrarily deny citizens their Constitutionally protected Rights, specifically the Second, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments.

I would recommend that everyone speak to your Senators and Representatives and you express that you do not want them to support ANY Bill that will deny a citizen their Rights without Due Process.

I am most concerned about H.R.5576, H.R.5544. Amendments S.Amdt.4859 to S.Amdt.4858, S.Amdt.4858, Senate Bill S.3069. and similar.

There are over 340 pending Bills that are unconstitutionally designed to deny citizens Rights. Here is a list of all the pending Bills and Amendments that the Federal Government wants to use secret lists to deny citizens their Constitutionally protected Rights and deny citizens Due Process.

https://www.congress.gov/search?q=%7B%2 ... ion%3Adesc

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 04 Jul 2016 22:53:44

FiremanBob wrote:Is it possible that this bill is designed to be voted down, so that Demonrats can't say the Republicans have done nothing about the issue? Even better if the Demorats are the ones who vote against it.

Well, the article mentions that it will be similar to Sen. John Cornyn's recently defeated bill that both the NRA supported and Cruz voted for that says it's ok to deny a firearms purchase to someone on an executive branch secret list, but if that person is denied the DOJ has 72 hours to prove to a court that there was probable cause to deny the sale. Not actual due process, but probable cause. That bill was voted down on party lines because Democrats wanted Feinstein's bill that just outright denied the purchase if on a list.

My question is if the House does take up this bill and pass it along party lines, how many Democrats will cross the aisle to vote yes to get the votes over 60 if McConnell brings it up again because they figure getting something is better than nothing? Why would Republicans even think about putting themselves in that position?

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 11:07:25

Are Republicans caving, or are they having their own little hissy fit? I imagine that the GOP is fairly mad at their base; this could be a big ol' middle finger designed to be payback for all the Trump support.

It sounds childish, but childishness is en vogue, these days.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby WRW » Tue, 05 Jul 2016 12:39:31

I rather believe that the "Something can, and thus must, be done by lawmakers" mentality places a somewhat artificial onus on said lawmakers. That Republican lawmakers have resisted total suspension of Constitutional rights is commendable, and, had there not been so very many laws passed already that addressed non-existent problems by restricting rights, this law would probably pass pretty much unnoticed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

ads

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)