Mass. AG Bans Sales of All New “Assault Weapons” As of Today

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Mass. AG Bans Sales of All New “Assault Weapons” As of Today

Postby ShotgunBlast » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:22:11

After the usual “assault rifles” are “weapon of war” used by “mass murderers” anti-AR agitprop, Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey dropped this bombshell at The Boston Globe.

The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban Congress allowed to expire in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific weapons like the Colt AR-15 and AK-47 and explicitly bans “copies or duplicates” of those weapons. But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon is. They market “state compliant” copycat versions of their assault weapons to Massachusetts buyers. They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon.

That will end now. On Wednesday, we are sending a directive to all gun manufacturers and dealers that makes clear that the sale of these copycat assault weapons is illegal in Massachusetts. With this directive, we will ensure we get the full protection intended when lawmakers enacted our assault weapons ban, not the watered-down version of those protections offered by gun manufacturers.

The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/ ... -15-sales/

OK, so the AG at least recognizes that it's not the cosmetic features that lawmakers typically like to include in legislation that make these particular firearms so scary. So now it's the trigger system? The bullet caliber?

This might actually survive the judicial challenge that's bound to happen. Progressives can't outright ban guns, but they have unlimited taxpayer funds and time to continue nibbling around the edges and making inroads where they can.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Mass. AG Bans Sales of All New “Assault Weapons” As of Today

Postby WRW » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 08:23:43

So, the Massachusets AG has taken it upon herself to define "militia". That should end. Massachusets National Guard should be denied all "weapons of war", as should the entirety of their police forces, State and Local...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:01:40

All this will do is raise the prices for AR's and AK's in Mass. Prohibition has never worked and never will.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:16:51

How do they distinguish between components, parts and accessories? A component of a rifle can be a scope. Does that mean that if a scope fits both an AR and rifle the rifle is illegal?

Doesn't sound like a lot of thought went into this action either -- like so many others.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby ShotgunBlast » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:45:41

Is the Mossberg Predator bolt-action rifle illegal because it accepts AR-15 magazines?

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:28:54

(shakes head) "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:05:32

I doubt that she has the legal power to make this order, but that has never stopped Leftists. Now somebody is going to have to be prosecuted in order to have standing to sue in the courts. Talk about taking one for the team. I hope the NRA will fund the case.

Wait until some police officer tries to confiscate a gun dealer's inventory, or a private citizen's rifle, and shoots an innocent person. You won't have to wait long.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 23 Jul 2016 00:37:58

FiremanBob wrote:I doubt that she has the legal power to make this order, but that has never stopped Leftists. Now somebody is going to have to be prosecuted in order to have standing to sue in the courts. Talk about taking one for the team. I hope the NRA will fund the case.

Wait until some police officer tries to confiscate a gun dealer's inventory, or a private citizen's rifle, and shoots an innocent person. You won't have to wait long.

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I was under the impression that the State AG can't "write" or verbally dictate law; only legislature can. It doesn't matter what the AG feels.... whatever the statues says is law.

sigh.... forget it. Its pointless to let this stuff trouble me. We are living in a post-constitutional and lawless time. Riots and money rule the day. Anyone trying to do the right thing is just screwed.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sat, 23 Jul 2016 07:21:53

MarcSpaz wrote:I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I was under the impression that the State AG can't "write" or verbally dictate law; only legislature can. It doesn't matter what the AG feels.... whatever the statues says is law.

sigh.... forget it. Its pointless to let this stuff trouble me. We are living in a post-constitutional and lawless time. Riots and money rule the day. Anyone trying to do the right thing is just screwed.

The problem is that most legislation is lazily written which allows the executive branch to interpret the legislation as they see fit. In this case the legislation bans "copies" and "duplicates" but doesn't specifiy what "copies" and "duplicates" mean in the legislation.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 23 Jul 2016 07:38:01

It's less that legislation is lazily written, and more that it's intentionally vague. That way, it can be sold as meaning one thing, then, once it has passed into becoming law, it can be manipulated to be interpreted as meaning something else, entirely.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby wittmeba » Sat, 23 Jul 2016 08:51:00

Their own argument about how difficult it is to determine what defines an "assault rifle" supports our objection to this classification.

It clearly illustrates that there is not enough difference between an assault rifle than a regular rifle other than they are different. Just like Ruger is different from S&W, Mossberg from Remington...
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 23 Jul 2016 18:53:20

MarcSpaz wrote:
FiremanBob wrote:sigh.... forget it. Its pointless to let this stuff trouble me. We are living in a post-constitutional and lawless time. Riots and money rule the day. Anyone trying to do the right thing is just screwed.

YEP!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 24 Jul 2016 00:46:11

Found this interesting...

FBI crime stats for 2014 show that no rifles of any kind, “assault” rifles or otherwise, were used to murder state residents in 2014, the last year for which such stats are available.

According to the FBI, there were no murders to list. No rifles of any kind were used to murder Massachusetts residents in 2014. Moreover, no shotguns were used. The fact that no shotguns were used is important because many gun-grabbers, when banning “assault” rifles, will include a number of semiautomatic shotguns in their ban, as well.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... apons-ban/

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Sun, 24 Jul 2016 08:37:30

Obviously a solution looking futilely for a problem.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby kelu » Sun, 24 Jul 2016 11:31:15

Marc, TPTB don't care about weapons that kills unwashed civilians. They care about weapons that can be used against them.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 24 Jul 2016 11:58:00

oh, no argument here. I just found it interesting that they say this is being done in the name of preventing a mass shootings and public safety, but there is no support for that argument.

It's just amazing how stupid the politicians think we are.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

ads

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)