Illinois Proposed Medical Marijuana Rules: No Guns

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Illinois Proposed Medical Marijuana Rules: No Guns

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:16:22

Patients who want to qualify for medical marijuana in Illinois would have to be fingerprinted for a background check and pay $150 a year — and give up their right to own a gun, state officials proposed Tuesday.

The plan outlines how adults who have any of 41 specified medical conditions, such as cancer, AIDS or complex regional pain syndrome, may apply to get a patient registry identification card to purchase medical pot.

I found this part interesting.

Todd Vandermyde, lobbyist for the National Rifle Association, said the NRA takes no position on the issue but that the rule seems to be an attempt to interpret federal law. A U.S. Department of Justice firearm application form asks if the buyer is "an unlawful user" of marijuana or other controlled substances.

Illinois regulations make clear that pot possession is still prohibited by federal law, and the state denies liability for damages arising from the program, including federal prosecution.

"It presents a novel legal conundrum," Vandermyde said. "The courts are going to have to reconcile it."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 0419.story

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Illinois Proposed Medical Marijuana Rules: No Guns

Postby Remek » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 00:57:03

The problem is too many laws and statutes. Let's toss 'em and let courts decide things in font of juries.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:43:19

Hold on...as much as I don't think guns and drugs should ever go together why should a cancer patient or a person who has serious medical conditions requiring serious medication (cannabis is serious medication in my book) be required to give up a constitutional right. A person who uses cannabis for relief of pain is not high all the time. When I bought a bottle of peach snapps for personal use I did not have to turn in my guns. Now if I am stupid and use my guns while I am intoxicated I will be held accountable. Why is it not the same for cannabis?

In my book this is yet another way they have dreamed up to infringe on people right to keep and bear arms. It will likely pass as it sounds "reasonable" but it is another wolf in sheep's clothing. :bangin:

Edited to add: there are much more serious drugs prescribed than cannabis and a person does not lose their RTKABA when they fill their prescription for an opiate pain killer or ambien.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Remek » Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:31:29

^^ agreed. It's really something that needs to be decided on a case by case basis, as I said indirectly above.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)