Fired For Carrying a Weapon to Work Violating Company Policy

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Fired For Carrying a Weapon to Work Violating Company Policy

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:32:34

A former Wells Fargo employee has filed a lawsuit in circuit court against the bank, contending the financial institution violated her constitutional rights when they fired her for carrying a concealed firearm at work.

Florida resident Ivette Ros, a former bank manager at Wells Fargo, claims she feels “naked” without her gun and says because she had a concealed carry permit it was unlawful for her employer to terminate her for carrying, the Tampa Tribune reported.

“I am within my constitutional right,” Ros reportedly said. “The bank is one of the places that I am able to carry a weapon to. My weapon was concealed. I have a certified license.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02 ... hes-suing/

Now I'm no Constitutional scholar like all those people on Capital Hill claim to be, but it was my impression that Constitutional rights are in place for your interaction with government agencies and should have no bearing when interacting with private entities. Just like how Rick can delete whatever he wants to on this forum, Wells Fargo sets the policies for their employees and they either agree to them or move on to other employment. In my eyes Constitutional rights do not trump private property rights. I don't see where this lady has a leg to stand on in court.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Re: Fired For Carrying a Weapon to Work Violating Company Policy

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:07:58

Is it a known policy that employees can't have weapons? If so, she's SOL. If its not published or otherwise told to her, she may have a case.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 18:43:13

It's back to "Private Property Rights" vs "Second Amendment Rights", and the Private Property Rights are stronger.

Especially in VA where it's a Right to Work state.

HOWEVER! If she were working for the STATE, she'd have the right to keep it in her VEHICLE!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby FiremanBob » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:00:33

The big question is whether the company had a no-gun policy in place while she was employed there. Until we have this fact it's hard to make a judgment.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:34:37

According to the article, it seems they did have a no gun policy in place.

I support the right of the bank to let her go.

I also support anyone who sees fit to boycott the bank.

Can't support the lawsuit, though.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 23:02:17

Yea, like I said... If she was aware of the policy, chose to work there and violate the policy... I can't get behind that either.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 00:37:12

I have to abide by the same anti-gun policy. It sucks and I hate it, but I need to work. Life ain't fair. It is what it is. In my line of work though, it has more to do with varying state laws than with the company.

To be clear, I find the policy of Wells-Fargo to be foolish and short sighted. But, just like I support the right of drug addicts to self destruct, I have to support the right of a bank to foolishly ban firearms from on duty employees.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby trailrunner » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 08:47:19

I have a strict no-guns policy where I work. Not only that, it would be a serious crime for me to carry my gun at work.

As the Reverend pointed out, the fundamental issue here is private property rights versus second amendment rights. I see both sides to this issue. I do not think that she will win the lawsuit.

trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:30:42

Exactly... until we have a legislative body, and executive branch that says PRIVATE companies have to respect PRIVATE PROPERTY owned by employees!

They own my soul, not my vehicle! HAHAH :hysterical:

At this point? We don't have any decent banks that pay interest, respect gunowners, or act in good faith... (shrugs) And considering how dismal the interests rates have become? You'd be better off just buying precious metals, and burying them. HAHAHA

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:37:14

No, she won't win.

She shouldn't win. This case should really confound the powers that be. On one hand, here is a prime opportunity for gub'mint to insert themselves into private affairs (where they clearly want to be, and where they more clearly oughtn't be) but on the other hand, doing so would be an endorsement of private gun ownership.

Maybe I'm overtired from driving all night, but I kinda find that a little humorous.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby mamabearCali » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:21:32

yeah it stinks....Chris has that at work too. What can you do? She is probably SOL.

Anyway. I understand her need to be safe, but if you choose to disobey your employer and you get found out...well you gotta expect to be fired.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby newdovo » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 13:57:56

When the Wachovia Bank branches where I live became Wells-Fargo, "no guns" signs on the front door were part of the new look. It's part of why we switched banks.
The article stated that she was a "bank manager", which I suppose means at a branch. She would have walked past a "no guns" sign every morning.

newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:53:23

I don't know if this is still the case, but about a year ago the number one and two self defense situations were a nighttime ambush at a gas station/convenient store parking lot or a mall parking lot. The number 3 location was at a bank parking lot and/or outdoor ATM.

Over the past few years, I have stopped going to the mall, bank and gas station unless I was armed.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)