SCOTUS Pick

Discussions concerning happenings in other states throughout this great land of ours.

SCOTUS Pick

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 31 Jan 2017 21:14:41

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: SCOTUS Pick

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 05:22:06

From the editorial board of the NY Times:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/o ... eport.com/

The title indicates how they feel about the nominee. Not surprising, everything that they had to say about Judge Gorsuch made me believe that Trump had picked well. Clearly, I am not the intended audience. Just as clear, the editorial board of the NY Times is still angry and upset that Trump won, and Hillary lost, and our former emporer didn't get to pick a new judge on his way out the door.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby AlanM » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 05:38:54

I really like this comment after the NYT editorial piece, a lot of good historical references:

This article is hilarious!!!! It must be satirical!!! Historically, the country has waited for the next election to appoint a Supreme Court Justice. In 1992, Senator Joe Biden (hoping Bill Clinton would win the White House) pleaded that the best thing for the country, the Constitution, the Supreme Court, Congress, and the Presidency is for the current President (George H. W. Bush) to wait and allow the next President to fill any Supreme Court vacancy.

At the time, Senator Biden declared, “If the President (Bush) goes the way of Presidents Fillmore and Johnson and presses an election-year nomination, the Senate Judiciary Committee should seriously consider not scheduling confirmation hearings on the nomination until after the political campaign season is over.”

This article totally ignores the Constitution and also historic precedent since 1880 that upholds giving the American people a voice in choosing who the next Supreme Court justice will be when a vacancy arises in a Presidential election year.
In 1992, all the following whining Democrates emphatically agreed with Senator Biden, that the appointment should wait until AFTER the election: Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Democratic Conference Vice Chairman Chuck Schumer, and Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Patrick Leahy .
Jan. 31, 2017 at 10:11 p.m.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 14:05:17

So what might a Justice Gorsuch mean for the court? Like Justice Scalia, he is an originalist, meaning he interprets the Constitution’s language to mean what it was understood to mean when it was written

So... the NY Times thinks written words shouldn't mean what they say? By their argument, a person should be able to interpret anything the NYT writes, in whatever way they feel! That sounds like a real rabbit hole for a newspaper to open up!
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 15:15:23

Nancy Pelosi objects to everyone and everything. We need to get rid of her.

The SCOTUS nominee:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/ ... index.html

Republican Health care plan:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/opinions/ ... index.html

Late in 2016:
http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/13/pelos ... -of-state/

Then she confronts Dems about the 2016 elections.
If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby kelu » Wed, 01 Feb 2017 16:05:00

wittmeba wrote:Nancy Pelosi objects to everyone and everything. We need to get rid of her.

I disagree. She contributes greatly to the destruction of her party. Let her continue.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to National Discussions