Load and Bullet Preferences

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

Load and Bullet Preferences

Postby Remington » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:39:22

I want to hunt deer with a muzzle loader this year. I picked up a CVA Wolf 50 cal "magnum" in-line as a starter new bp gun and am now trying to work through the myriad load options. Things have changed a lot since I hunted with traditional black powder guns as a kid. The CVA owners manual strongly suggests using only power belt bullets because they are what works best in CVA muzzle loaders. That just seems suspicious. The manual also recommends Pyrodex. I'd appreciate any and all tips on powder and propellant and bullet preferences. Is it worthwhile to upload to full magnum power or best to keep it simple and middle of the road? I'll be hunting in brushy patches and also in some older forest stands with lengthy shooting lanes. My gun has a scope. And last but not least... Are all 209 primers created equally?

Remington
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Kyle

Re: Load and Bullet Preferences

Postby TScottW99 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 03:51:22

Not all 209 primers are created equal. I have several set ups for different rifles but have found the following to work the best in a range of friends and my rifles.

CCI M209 primer (hard to come by unless you shop at a reloading store)
Blackhorn 209 powder, between 100 - 120 grains
Barnes 250 grain Spit-Fire T-EZ bullet

I use 115 grains, two buddies use 100 grains and another uses 120 grains. We all have outstanding accuracy and performance on deer. Best blood trails I have seen with any muzzleloader bullet I have used. One friend is using this combo in a newer CVA rifle.

Hope this helps.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
TScottW99
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
Not enough!

Next Firearm:
CZ 75

Postby TScottW99 » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 03:54:33

Kind of left you hanging on the 209 question. Every primer "shoots" a different amount of fire. Some have less to help with the crud ring yet don't fire the powder as well as some of the hotter primers. The 777 primer from Winchester I hate and it hates both my rifles. The regular Winchester 209 primer is great with 777 FFG in my CVA Mag-Hunter however that primer does not fit in my T/C Bonecollector.

I have found the best thing to do is some quality range time with friends and try each others components. Heck I have given components and received at the range from unknown hunters over the years trying to help each other out.

I still have more muzzleloading bullets then you can shake a stick at :hysterical:
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
TScottW99
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
Not enough!

Next Firearm:
CZ 75

Postby Remington » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 23:55:00

Thanks for the good advice TScott. What you are telling me makes perfect sense. I made it into the woods and got a shot in early muzzle loader season... but obviously hadn't completed all my requisite studies beforehand. I had a hang fire with a clean and dry gun. I was confident with shot placement until the hang fire and then I never found a blood trail or evidence of a hit so it was probably a miss. Hate it that I let that happen.

I started with two 777 pellets and the Winchester 777 primers and experienced multiple hang-fires with that combination even after cleanings. I experienced the "crud ring" first hand... thanks for teaching the correct name. Now I know what it's called. :) The 250 grain power belt aerolite pointed tips were dead-on accurate during target shooting but I am wondering now about how they perform on game in light of my limited field experience using them. Other postings gave high reviews on the Blackhorn 209 powder so I picked up a bottle and will start working out the precise measure for my gun with the Barnes 250 grain Spit-Fire T-EZ bullets. Still on the look-out for the CCI M209 primers. I had already went ahead and picked up some high powered Remington 209 primers to try out.

I plan for several range trips starting soon to better prepare for next season's early hunt. Are there any other smoke pole shooters planning to use the Phelps WMA range that wouldn't mind sharing a shooting station with a rookie? I live in Stafford and am open to other shooting ranges if available.

Remington
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:39:28

Remington wrote:I plan for several range trips starting soon to better prepare for next season's early hunt. Are there any other smoke pole shooters planning to use the Phelps WMA range that wouldn't mind sharing a shooting station with a rookie? I live in Stafford and am open to other shooting ranges if available.

I'm not too far away, and would come down for a shooting day.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Remington » Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:25:37

jdonovan wrote:I'm not too far away, and would come down for a shooting day.

That sounds great. I will send messages to work out the details.

Remington
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

ads

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder