Inline or Sidelock?

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

Inline or Sidelock?

Inline
58%
Sidelock - Percussion
26%
Sidelock - Flintlock
16%

Total votes : 19

Inline or Sidelock?

Postby Moccasin » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:06:55

Let's get this one started out with a poll.

Which do you prefer, inline or sidelock? And if you choose sidelock do you prefer percussion or flint?

I like sidelocks, and I prefer percussion but do want a flintlock some day. I like the more traditional looks of the sidelocks over those of the inlines.
Last edited by Moccasin on Tue, 31 Mar 2009 05:49:01, edited 1 time in total.

Moccasin

Re: Inline or Sidelock?

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:09:30

I just added a poll to this thread. You couldn't add a poll, Moccasin?
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby toytruck » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:02:13

I voted inline, basically because I like a scope on my rifles (old eyes) and I don't like to see a scope on a traditional muzzleloader. I do own a .54 TC Renegade and it shoots RB great out to 50 yds very accurately. My White and TC Encore (with scopes) will group 1/2 " at 100 yds. I want to hit a deer and put him down quick. No brag, but last 3 deer shot with the White .504 were DRT (dead right there). I'm sure the traditional guns can do the same if the shot is put where it should be. I also prefer #11 caplocks which the Whites and Renegade are. :thumbsup:

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Steve

Postby Vahunter » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 19:44:33

I'll take a sidelock for target shooting and inline for hunting. I had a T/C Renegade in .50 years ago that I shot with all the other blackpowder groupies back in the early '80's at KC's range in Black Creek. Iv'e been through a few since then but nothing compared to that T/C. For hunting I use a T/C Omega that I bought 2 years ago. Iv'e taken 6 deer with it and all have been one shot kills, anywhere from 5 steps to 100 yards.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby allingeneral » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:25:57

I wouldn;t know the difference if you smacked me in the head with both of them. :whoosh:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Moccasin » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:48:24

allingeneral wrote:I wouldn;t know the difference if you smacked me in the head with both of them. :whoosh:

Time to learn. It is a little different shooting them. You "engineer" each load, unless you cheat and use the 50 grain pellets. The most accurate load for a given rifle usually isn't the most powerful load for that same rifle, and it changes depending on the ball/patch or bullet you use.

The difference between inline and sidelock is this-
Inline: percussion cap fits on a nipple "inline" with the barrel. The spark travels from the cap through the nipple to the powder in a straight line. It's more reliable ignition than a sidelock. Shotgun primers are sometimes used instead of caps.

Sidelock: percussion cap or flint/frizzen is off to the side of the barrel, hence a sidelock. With a percussion cap the spark travels through the nipple then makes a 90 degree turn to reach the powder. With flint/frizzen the spark ignites powder in a tray outside the barrel which then jumps through a hole in the barrel to reach the powder.

Anything with a "nipple" that you actually use has to be fun. :biggrin:

Moccasin

Postby Bob » Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:09:35

I couldn't vote in your poll because I use both. I started out years ago with a T/C Hawken in 50 cal. beautiful rifle, very accurate.

The last few years I've been using an inline 50 cal, 209 primer, pellits instead of black powder, power belt bullets and the dreaded scope.

My eyes are going and I can't take any long shots with the Hawken. I've taken a lot of deer with that T/C but I finally had to go to a scope. I still use it now and then but I have to limit myself to easy, short shots, some of my deer have powder burns on them Ha Ha.

The inline is no different than a modern rifle, easy to use, easy to load. I only go now because it gives me some extra time deer hunting. I liked the old days best.
The Bonnie Blue Flag

"I'll keep My Guns, My Freedom, and My Money, You can keep the Change"

Bob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bob

Next Firearm:
A new 12 ga. more than likely a Mossberg

Postby allingeneral » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:45:09

I liked the old days best.

That's a quote worth keeping, right there.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby toytruck » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:11:01

Bob wrote:The inline is no different than a modern rifle, easy to use, easy to load.

I'm gonna have to disagree on that one!! There is no way a modern inline can match a modern centerfire rifle in ballistics or range. The inline maybe just as accurate as a centerfire or even more so depending on the gun and shooter. IMHO

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby Moccasin » Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:44:29

The only real advantage that inline offers over a sidelock is the straight line of ignition and the use of pellets. It's been several years since I looked at either so I'm not sure what the max loads for each is, that could be an advantage also. Neither the sidelock or the inline can be compared ballistically to a modern centerfire. The powder itself works at different pressures than modern powder so the modern centerfire will have the advantage. Muzzleloaders or black powder cartridge arms can reach the same ranges of many modern centerfire rifles. Black powder, whether muzzleloader or cartridge, can be as accurate or more so than modern centerfire cartridges.

Moccasin

Postby Bob » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:19:47

Of course there is a big difference in ballistics,that goes without saying.

I was just thinking these new inlines are so easy, not like when I first started muzzle loading years ago. When I carry my inline it doesn't even feel like I'm carrying a muzzleloader, to me anyway.

You bet they are accurate, I've taken plenty of deer with both, if my eyes where better I'd use my old T/C all the time.

I kill a deer every year during muzzleloader to put some meat in the freezer, buck or doe I just look for a good size deer. Here is a picture of a big doe I killed last year with my inline. I hit it with a 230 gr bowerbelt, it was quarting away from me you can see the entrance hole, I took the heart right out and dropped it on the spot, no powder burns on this one.
The Bonnie Blue Flag

Bob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Postby Bob » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:21:20

It helps if you include the picture.
The Bonnie Blue Flag

Bob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Postby Bob » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:37:05

Thats twice I hit submit with out including the picture.

I must be getting oldtimers
Attachments
muzzleloader big doe.JPG
The Bonnie Blue Flag

Bob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Postby toytruck » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 18:54:57

Wow!! That is a big doe, congrats!! I took a 3 point buck and a button buck that fooled me, he was by himself and heading for a apple tree when the 496gr lead conical hit him, both deer dropped at the shot. Gotta love the high shoulder shot. I'll try to get the pic's up.Image
That's the 3 point, guess I didn't take a pic of the button..very little meat damage with that shot!

toytruck
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby Vahunter » Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:34:52

Here's one I called in and shot at 5 steps this past hunting season with my T/C Omega and a Powerbelt bullet. A little 7 point.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby volvodog » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:57:53

I like sidelock even though all mine are inline.

GARY :clap:

volvodog
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby cutun » Mon, 18 May 2009 09:14:09

I've moved from the Hawkins 50 cal, to the BK 92 in 50 cal and now have a TC encore, 50 cal, while I was pleased with the performance in all three. It's about the cleaning for me, and to be able to look down the barrel and see that it's clean. Hard to beat in my book. And I must say, my TC should be all the gun I ever need :clap:
Enjoy the Journey
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!

Otter Outdoors Pro Staff
Webfoot Mafia Field Staff

cutun
On Target
On Target

First Name: Joe

Postby guitarpicva » Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:31:26

Bob wrote:...
My eyes are going and I can't take any long shots with the Hawken. I've taken a lot of deer with that T/C but I finally had to go to a scope. I still use it now and then but I have to limit myself to easy, short shots, some of my deer have powder burns on them Ha Ha....

I'm curious....are your near-sighted or far-sighted? Wondering if there's a difference with open sights because I can use mine with open sights without too much trouble, but I'm near-sighted.
guitarpicva
|||||| [o] VA

guitarpicva
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mitch

Postby Taggure » Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:12:21

Looking for some feedback

Back in the mid 80's I started out with a Cheap .50cal Kentucky rifle but I always wanted a Hawkins and I really got into the Mountain Man Rendezvous and I still have my throwing hatchet that we used in competition. By the way i would like to get back into the Rendezvous again if anyone knows about one here in Virginia. After moving with the trend I too got into the in-line craze for hunting and do not get me wrong they are accurate as anything, but I think I would like to take my deer this year with a traditional rifle.

I know that I want to get a kit and build a .50cal Hawkins that is not the problem. The problem is do I want to go all the way traditional and go with the Flintlock or go with the percussion using the #11 Musket caps. I am leaning towards the later (Percussion)

Any thoughts

Vern
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby elkdog » Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:11:38

I picked sidelocks, In Oregon during muzzleloader season that is all you can use. It has to have open ignition, no scope and no pelletized powders or jacketed bullets, or sabots. That is the way I think it should be so I don't have a problem with it.

elkdog
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
lyman trade rifle sidelock precussion
lyman deerstalker sidelock precussion

ads

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder