Black Powder

If you're into blowing smoke, this is the forum for you!

Black Powder

Postby b2unit » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:24:32

Hey guys
Just moved to Stafford area a few monthas ago and my son wants to take a few of my old BP weapons out for a spin. Have not found a place to pick up several pounds of BP in my area. Anyone have an idea or place close, was trying to avoid mail-order hazmat fees etc if possible.

Thanks
-B2

b2unit
On Target
On Target

First Name: B2

Re: Black Powder

Postby b2unit » Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:26:55

muzzleloaders-black-powder/vendors-t453.html

.....used the search feature to no avail, most likely should have looked at the bottom of this page....sheesh :doh:

b2unit
On Target
On Target

Postby zephyp » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:11:18

In Stafford you are close to Gander Mountain and Dick's in Fredericksburg right off 95. GM is the more expensive place. There is also a big Walmart on the same road that caters to hunters. Drive a little farther down 95 to the big Bass Pro compound.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby BlueTiki » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:23:03

You can also wander out to Clark brothers which is close to Warrenton. You might pay a bit more for the powder but its there and you can go out back after you buy it and burn up a pile of it on their out door range. Here is a link to them.

http://www.clarkbrosguns.com/

This is right off of their site.
Clark Brothers offers a free outdoors shooting range for its loyal customers. All are welcome and we encourage families, women and youth to use our facilities. Since our space is limited, we want to reserve the range for those who patronize our store. We do not require membership or charge hourly for range use. However, we do require that ammunition and targets used on the range be purchased at our store. Handloaders are required to purchase the components used in ammunition fired on the range. We also require ear protection when shooting. We also suggest eye protection.

We do not allow full automatic of 50-caliber rifles to be shot on the range. Black powder firearms are welcome.

We offer a handgun shooting area consisting of 8 positions and a long gun shooting area of six benches, each holding two shooters. We also offer two clay target throwers for shotgun use. We can also set up target frames for shotgun patterning. The handgun range area has distances of 21 ft. (7 yards) and 50 feet. The long gun area has range distances of 25, 50, and 100 yards.

I was just out there about two weeks ago with some Black Powder rifles having a blast.

BlueTiki
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Smith and Wesson M&P .40 cal

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:24:43

If you're heading down I95 towards the Bass Pro, Green Top is just a few minutes past that. Probably not needed for BP, but for smokeless they are going to have the best selection/value near you that I am aware of.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby notesdev » Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:26:12

There's no place near Stafford that sells real black powder that I know of. Clark Brothers sells GOEX by the pound. You can get it cheaper at http://blackpowderva.com if you don't mind driving to Winchester.

What kind of powder do you use? I've got about 35 pounds of Schuetzen 2Fg and 3Fg.

BTW, welcome to Stafford. If you're not already a member of the Quantico Shooting Club, check out the website at http://quanticoshootingclub.com .

R/s,
Charlie
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not
warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms."
---Thomas Jefferson to William Smith, Paris, November 13, 1787

notesdev
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Charlie

Postby b2unit » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:24:59

Thanks for the responses guys.

Notesdev, I have the remainder of GOEX FFFg purchased in a large batch in 1974 and has been following me around the country for the last 37 years....used a good bit up before going in the service in 79' and was not sure if I should use it. Storage conditions have not been ideal.

I'm not picky (or experienced enough to pretend to be) as my experiences the last 3 decades has been solely as a very avid center-fire shooter. Going to take my 12 year old out and shoot a few of the old pistols in the inventory.

I will be in F'burg this weekend and will check out G'Mountain, for sure
B2

b2unit
On Target
On Target

Postby notesdev » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:33:43

b2unit wrote:Notesdev, I have the remainder of GOEX FFFg purchased in a large batch in 1974 and has been following me around the country for the last 37 years....used a good bit up before going in the service in 79' and was not sure if I should use it. Storage conditions have not been ideal.

b2,

No sweat - real black powder never goes bad. Unlike modern powders (smokeless and fake bp) that will break down over time, black powder doesn't break down even after getting wet. Once dried out, it's just as good (and volatile) as the day it was made.

R/s,
Charlie
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not
warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms."
---Thomas Jefferson to William Smith, Paris, November 13, 1787

notesdev
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Charlie

Return to Muzzleloaders and Black Powder