VA GUN & SPORTS SUPPLY, Newport News, VA

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

Postby Micro » Mon, 05 Oct 2009 21:57:59

This is my second visit to this shop. First time was to look for a tactical light for my Glock. Had to wait while the shop owner and a patron BS'd about AK-47s and which country made the best. Ended up leaving with no purchase.

Went in there again today to buy a holster for my Glock 30SF. The owner quickly decided on the right holster for me and asked if that would be all for me. I advised him that I wanted to look around while I thought about it. He pointed back to the peg where the holster came from as if to tell me where to put it. I ended up buying it, because I did like it, and because I couldn't find a good leather holster fo a 30SF anywhere else. But had to wait to pay for it while he BS'd with yet another person. Then the cash register tape jammed in the machine and had to wait for my change till they dicked around with that.

It's a neat little shop (with crappy hours) if you want Glock stuff. They may even know their stuff (the owner says he's a "law enforcement Glock armorer"). But their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. And the staff seems more interested in chatting with friends that selling you something.

I rate it a 4/10.

BTW, the last so-called "Glock armorer" I dealt with asembled my Glock 21SF with the slide riding over the rear rails. So saying you are a "Glock armorer" doesn't mean a helluva lot to me.
Regards,
Rowland

Micro
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rowland

Re: VA GUN & SPORTS SUPPLY, Newport News, VA

Postby gfost1 » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:46:46

Howdy, Micro,

Having been a small business owner in a previous life, I can't help but wonder why such a person would behave like an a**hole, yet I have met them in many trades. I won't deal with one. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

George

gfost1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: George

Postby skywalker30 » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 22:20:19

went there, looked around owner seemed in a hurry for me to leave, bought some 45 acp ammo for 23.00 and left, owner not friendly and didnt seem to want to chat. will not be going back.

skywalker30
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
smith and wesson m&p ar15

Postby ridgefactor » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:49:24

I went there in the summer of 2008 before I retired from the Navy. Unfortunately Glock has made the decision to only have 2 gun shops in VA that offer the Military/LE discount for their guns. The discount is not insignificant so I really had to buy there. The guy is really quirky and I had the same experience as the others. He was talking to a "Regular" customer and didn't even give me the time of day. When I asked to look at a Glock 23 he obliged me and went on talking with the off duty police officer that was in the shop also. Then I asked to see one of his DPMS M4's. He kind of gave me the stink eye and acted like I was bothering him to ask. I knew I was going to buy both at his shop since he had the mil discount on both and I couldn't get the guns any cheaper anywhere else. When I said "I'll take them both" he just kind of looked at me with surprise. Needless to say his conversation with the other "customer" ended and I had his full attention.

I went back last weekend and got the same type of service. I asked him if he had any SPR's (Special Purpose Rifles). When I said SPR he asked what that was?? When I told him Special Purpose Rifle, he still didn't know what I was talking about but offered me a DPMS .308 he just got in.

I also asked him what the twist rate on his DPMS .223 was and he said 1 in 9. I told him I was looking for a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist and his staff member said there wasn't any difference between the 1 in 7/8 and the 1 in 9. When you are shooting out to 400 yards or more I think there may be.

Overall, Terrible selection - He only has DPMS black rifles and Glock on hand for the most part but he can order anything you want. (There are a couple of Kimber and some revolvers in the case)
Ammunition is WAY over priced. Over $9 a box for PMC .223
I had him put Trijacon night sights on my Glock ($99) not sure if that was a good price or not.
Unless I am in the market for another Glock or a DPMS for cheap I won't go back.
1 out of 10 for customer service
3 out of 10 for selection

ridgefactor
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
FAV - Springfield 1911, Glock 23, Marlin Camp 9, Rem 11-87, and too many others to mention.

Postby boykinjw » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:53:33

I totally know what you guys are saying the owner has a different personality...But after living in Newport News my whole life I have searched for a gun shop and that is clean, professional, and provides reliable service. Ive been to all of the stores around from Bobs in Norfolk to Superior and A&P in Hampton to that old place by the Daily Press. All of them have their own strangeness and Ive had bad customer service at all of them. (One guy wouldnt take my money because I set it on the counter and not in his hand and another place was seriosly telling me about the zombies that were coming.) I stuck with VA G&S because it was the cleanest gun store I had ever been in, everything is in order and the selection may be small but its a selection of exactly what Im looking for. I personally only carry Glocks, or a S&W revolver, I think DMPS makes a good product, and he carries Browning and Remington Shotguns, so I couldnt ask for anything more. When I bought my guns from him he installed any extras I got for free. And after I was loyal to the shop and made a few purchases brought a few friends with me you would think the owner (Jim) is one of my best pals. Now Im that guy that stops by and BS's during the work day that causes customers grief. And I know that everytime I walk in that door I am going to get the same quality product, same service, and the same guy standing behind his products. That reliability and consistency means a lot to me, Ive got a gunsmith that does what he says on time everytime. He will shoot straight with you and tell you exactly what he thinks about what youre buying, I personally want someone who does that over someone who is just trying to make a buck and make me feel good about it.

Id have to guess that 75% of the people who walk in off the street to any gun shop are probably sketchy, I know when I go to any of the shops I used to go to there is always a motley crew standing around, when I go to VA G&S its off duty cops, military, and gun enthusiasts...If youre up to it Id give the place another chance. Pick one shop and be loyal, you'll get the best deals and the honest advice. I have friends that always shop for the best deal, until they have an issue then they call me asking who to go see...VA G&S is the first place on my list everytime.

boykinjw
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 26
DPMS M4
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag
Winchester Model 94
Mossberg Bull Pup
Rossi 410
Huglu Custom O/U

Postby waterfowl33 » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:31:47

I just checked that place out myself and I will never set foot in there again. I looked a a few firearms and the dude seemed like he was going out of his way to help me. Every time I had a question I got short answers like he was preoccupied and gave me a look every time I asked to see another one. And when I handed him the gun with the slide lock back, as to show a clear gun, he gave me this look like I was retarted. Wast of time....

waterfowl33
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
HK USP Compact .40
Mossberg 500
Remington 870 Super Magnum
Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm

Postby skywalker30 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:07:25

tried it again,there was another older guy there,very friendly,the owner was there too, he was nicer than my last visit, based on this visit i can recommend them.

skywalker30
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
smith and wesson m&p ar15

Postby anacondz » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 20:50:35

I used to play pellet gun ... not a waste of bullet cause it so cheap....
I thought it's only use for kids but most adults used it too ... While shopping for Sport Supplies .. It's great to have guns for self defense. Now I owned pellet gun for self defense and little harmless... :packin:

anacondz
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Pillet Gun

Postby kodiakpb » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:00:19

Micro wrote:This is my second visit to this shop. First time was to look for a tactical light for my Glock. Had to wait while the shop owner and a patron BS'd about AK-47s and which country made the best. Ended up leaving with no purchase.

Went in there again today to buy a holster for my Glock 30SF. The owner quickly decided on the right holster for me and asked if that would be all for me. I advised him that I wanted to look around while I thought about it. He pointed back to the peg where the holster came from as if to tell me where to put it. I ended up buying it, because I did like it, and because I couldn't find a good leather holster fo a 30SF anywhere else. But had to wait to pay for it while he BS'd with yet another person. Then the cash register tape jammed in the machine and had to wait for my change till they dicked around with that.

It's a neat little shop (with crappy hours) if you want Glock stuff. They may even know their stuff (the owner says he's a "law enforcement Glock armorer"). But their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. And the staff seems more interested in chatting with friends that selling you something.

I rate it a 4/10.

BTW, the last so-called "Glock armorer" I dealt with asembled my Glock 21SF with the slide riding over the rear rails. So saying you are a "Glock armorer" doesn't mean a helluva lot to me.

Never been there, but entertained the thought of going to see what their stock was like in relation to Glock. This isn't the first time I have heard negative reviews about this place.

kodiakpb
On Target
On Target

Postby KODee » Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:04:38

I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than deal with personalities such as mentioned. Service builds relationships and referrals.

New buyer

KODee
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby pkinva » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:16:54

I have seen the same behavior as listed. They are consistent. I felt like a criminal when I walked in the store and was utterly disregarded as such. I would never buy anything from them.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
pkinva
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
davis p380. cobra ca380 glock 3rd gen

Postby Robxxx » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:57:57

First visit, charged me 40$ to tighten my front sight and add a little lcktie. (ive since got my own sight tool).
Second visit caused some concern cause i got some dried mud on the
rug inside the door, and was charged 22$ for a recoil spring that i can order for 7$ from Glock.
I now go eleswhere.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Robxxx
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 21 Gen 4
Glock 22 Gen 4 , storm lake 9mm conversion barrel for running 9mm.
Mossberg 500

Postby jimvgss » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:41:19

WOW - I generally don't reply to internet blog's, but I am going to make a exception here one time. First let me give you a little history here. I am the owner and manager of Va. Gun & Sports Supply, I have been in business since 1990, out of thousands and thousands of wonderfull satisfied customers that support my business year after year with lots of complements that we are very proud of, I am going to respond to these very few negetive posts that have been written here. 1. As for the guy who came in with his muddy nasty boots, we spend alot of time keeping our store neat and clean as I am sure you can see when you come in. We get lots of complements on how well the store is kept. Take two seconds and knock the mud and grime off your boots - Thank You. 2. A couple of bloggers posted they thought the prices were high on some items, we are not a big box store like Walmart/Kmart/BassProShop that locks in on pricing with manufactors, we have to pay more sometimes and many times we have the product because we do pay the price to have it when everyone else is out of stock, there is no sign on the wall that says you have to buy these products. 3. As for our labor rate in reference to the guy who paid 40.00 to tighten his front sight, I can tell you we did more then tighten a front sight for that price. My labor rate is less then half what almost all shops charge, as a matter of fact we generally don't charge customers at all for small ajustments on firearms that have been purchased from us. I think I have said enough here, I built my business on customer service and customer relationship that I am very proud of. If for some reason your not happy with my shops customer service, then please come to me and bring your reasonable problem to me, and I will do my best to make your visit a pleasant experience. And as always, we tell every customer who comes in and does business with us - ( Thank you for your business ). Thank You - Jim Kyriazis / Owner Va. Gun & Sports Supply

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jimvgss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Lots

Postby jimvgss » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 07:27:07

Va Gun & Sports Supply - Hours of operation. Monday thru Friday 10:00am to 5:00pm - Sat 10:00am to 2:00pm - Closed to the public on Wed & Sun. - Phone# 757-873-GUNS - We hope to see you soon !

jimvgss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Lots

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 10:22:04

I don't find the shop's post persuasive in any way. Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in SEVA.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby jimvgss » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:45:02

FiremanBob wrote:I don't find the shop's post persuasive in any way. Just another reason I'm glad I don't live in SEVA.

Wasn't trying to persuade you or anybody Bob - Just wanted to respond to what I think and many customers think is pretty unfair posting. And if your in SEVA, please stop by introduce yourself and hopefully enjoy my shop, I would appreciate your business.

Thank You - Jim

jimvgss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Lots

Postby 27words » Fri, 18 Apr 2014 18:53:49

I have visited Va Gun and Sports many times. I have also spent thousands in this store.

My unbiased review:

The store:
1) Very clean and well organized.
2) Most models of Glock are in stock.(Mainly Gen3, but some Gen4)
3) A few Kimber's in stock, but can order any model.
4) A small selection of S&W
5) All calibers of ammo in stock (mostly PNC)
6) Good selection of holster's, cleaning supplies, mags, etc..
7) Rem 870 Shotguns and DPMS AR's

Prices:
1) Glock's are a little overpriced.
2) Ammo is a tad high
3) Decent discount when ordering Kimber's
4) Good prices on S&W

Customer service:
1) Owner lacks customer service skills and comes off as arrogant
2) The more you visit and buy, the more pleasant the experience.
3) If you mention any firearm, ammo, accessory brands other than what the store carries, you will get lectured on why that brand is not better than what is carried in the store.

Overall:

Va Gun and Sports is not a bad store and the owner is not a bad guy, arrogant, but not bad. Even during the ammo crisis, this store had what I wanted in stock, which kept me going to the range on the weekends. If you're in the area stop by and have a look.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
27words
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

ads

Return to Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews