Green Top refuses to play ball, again

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

Re: Green Top refuses to play ball, again

Postby m4a1mustang » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:29:10

I got a pretty good deal on my Remington 870 Express at Green Top.

I might actually head back down that way to see what they have to handle as I'm looking for another pistol. But I am starting to think the best deal is to order from Buds and have it shipped to the nearest and cheapest FFL.
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

Postby Diomed » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 00:36:29

easterlingdj wrote: I do understand that all of the new government BS costs them a bunch, but if you want people to BUY in-store, you gotta keep the price near what you can buy it online for, otherwise your store will suffer and eventually close.

That does not work. The internet dealers that sell guns for cheap belong to a buyer's group that is able to purchase guns in bulk from the manufacturers and furnish them direct to the member dealers. The prices paid by the group members are below the dealer cost of the guns direct from the factory or through distributors.

If Bud's can sell a gun for less than I can buy it from a distributor for, how on earth can I price match? I can't even get close, because even with shipping and a reasonable transfer fee, their gun is still less than I can get it into the shop for - forget making a profit. Sell it for less than I paid for it? It's not hard to tell where that road leads. Sell at cost? Why bother to carry the burden of inventory if I'm not making money on it? (And, in actuality, losing money.)

And yes, this is a big deal for brick and mortar gun shops. A lot of them are waking up to the new reality, and lot of them are failing, and a lot of them will be gone in a few more years, replaced by kitchen table dealers with low overhead basically acting as distributors for a few supersellers. There will still be brick and mortar shops - there just won't be nearly as many, and they'll have fewer guns and lots more accessories to try to make ends meet. You know how gun shows have more jerky and beanie babies and airsoft than guns? It'll be like that, only in gun shops.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby drinkwat1 » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 10:00:27

Have bought 1 or 2 guns from GT in the past but agree with current postings. I would be more than happy to do transfers ($20 includes background check) and provide reloading supplies and sell firearms to anyone who wants to come over the mountain from I-81 exit 279 to Fort Valley. I've been in business 40 years and have great prices, e.g. primers are between $30-35 depending on brand & type. (Fed Gold Metal and CCI BR & MIL slightly higher). If I don't have it I'll order. Always have a fairly good selection of primers, powders, bullets and Rugers in stock. Email me at drinkwat1@earthlink.net for specific info!!! -thed (Tom Drinkwater)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
drinkwat1
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Tom

Postby chi804 » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 16:05:29

I've never bought anything from GT until recently. I bought an over/under new. It's a Stoeger and yes I know it's a stoeger. So, a week went by and then I took it out to shoot doves. While out in the field I noticed that the bluing on the receiver had worn off a little. The sales person said it was a great gun, he's sold tons of them and if there's any issues just bring it back. Due to my own fault, I didn't check out prices anywhere else and noticed I could've bought the same shotgun from bass pro for more than $100 less than what GT was selling it for. That made me pretty pissed but whatever. So I bring the gun back to GT and they took a look at and said, we got to send it back to the mfg and it'll be a "few weeks" before you get it back. 2 weeks later I call to get an update and 1, I'm on hold for over 10 mins, 2, the guy says it takes 4-6 weeks for that kind of thing. I said that the sales guy that original took care of me said 2-3. Then it was crickets.
Personally, I don't see the appeal with GT. It's a bunch of gunsnob wannabe soldiers trying to sell you overpriced crap. If you've never been there then save yourself some money and buy online or go to bass pro. They're just not very honest and they sell 15 year old mossberg 500s for $20 less than a new one. If you're buying guns there, I hope you're getting a discount. If you're not, you may need to see a doctor. If you're thinking about making a trip to GT from far away. Save your gas. There are plenty of other shops out there and there's the Internet. Just don't go to GT unless you're wealthy and don't care about how you spend your money. Sorry to rant but they are the most aggravating gun retailer in central VA.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

chi804
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Chuck

My Arsenal:
M&P 9C, S&W Bodyguard .38,DDM4V3

Postby widefat » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 17:18:17

Cool - necrothread - alive again after 4 years!!
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Green Top refuses to play ball, again

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 19:00:22

widefat wrote:Cool - necrothread - alive again after 4 years!!

AHHHH!!.....kill it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Postby Palladin » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:54:22

Old threads never die around here...
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:51:32

Another thread reloaded.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 11 Oct 2015 23:57:34

Well it IS Halloween! Just sayin'... :whistle:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Previous

ads

Return to Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews