Hornady Hornady Zombie Youth Shirt SmHornady Zombie Youth Shirt Sm
Hornady
    Hornady Hornady Zombie Tshirt LgHornady Zombie Tshirt Lg
Hornady
    Hornady Hornady Zombie Youth Shirt LgHornady Zombie Youth Shirt Lg
Hornady

Dawsons Guns, Woodbridge Virginia

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

Dawsons Guns, Woodbridge Virginia

Postby confedrate » Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:33:58

Dawsons Guns, Woodbridge Virginia,
2 words. WATCH OUT!
I've noticed for some time their firearms were over priced, but it was usually within the realm of reality.
I had JGSales.com transfer a Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47 to Dawsons. Dawson charged me $50 forthe transfer which I thought was heavy but....on well.

Anyhow while waiting for the background check to come thru I looked at their guns. They had a AMD-65 on the wall IDENTICAL to the one I just got from JGSales.com....for $799.00.
I paid JGSales $400.00 for the one Dawsons was transferring.

That takes balls....to double the regular price of a firearm.
I guess they just thought they could get away with it on a unusual firearm so why not?
That seems to be the way they price things there...as much as they think they can get.
Other than the firearms transfers, I stay far away from that place. I buy at gun shows or online from jgsales.

confedrate
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
amd-65 ak-47
mini-14

Re: Dawsons Guns, Woodbridge Virginia

Postby RocKor » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:48:38

It seems like they charge MSRP at BEST over there. I went there once a loooong time ago when I was 1911 shopping. They had the one I wanted (at the time no one else did) but I was not going to pay $200 over what other places were offering.

Went back a year ago and a friend was adamant about buying a pistol that day (we had spent the whole day earlier that week at the gun show browsing but didn't buy anything) and he ended up paying $100 (easily) over everyone else's price on the same gun (25% markup over other places). The attitude of the guy behind the counter made us feel very unwelcome and I certainly will never go back. Too bad they're really the only game in town now that Shooter's Paradise is gone.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance... wait... when did that happen?
http://www.novaarmament.com/
:victory:

RocKor
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
Arsenal SGL-21-94 AK-103RK
Yugo M59/66A1 SKS
M1891/1930 Mosin-Nagant
Springfield Armory Mil Spec
Springfield Armory XD-45ACP
Polish Radom P64
M44 Mosin-Nagant
Arsenal Makarov
Glock 17Gen4

Postby graybeard321 » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:38:52

Dawson is about 1 mile from my house and there prices are so high I don't even bother going in there. I always go to one of the gun shows or shops in Manassas to purchase or transfer any firearms. If you join sharpshooters in Springfield they only charge $20 to transfer firearms.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
graybeard321
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: brent

My Arsenal:
Ruger gp100 357
Glock mod 35 40cal
Kimber tactical II custom
para ord 1911

Postby 9MMDerringer » Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:29:54

I am also very close to Dawsons and I have been in there a few times. I would never buy a gun from them. The prices are crazy high. I was in there buying .380 ammo which they had when I could not find it anywhere else at the time, and this man was purchasing a pistol. They asked him if he had a gun lock. He said yes, I remembered from last time. I assumed that they wanted to sell one to him. The last two guns I bought from the gun show included a gun lock with the purchase. I have purchased gun powder and ammo from them. I almost purchased a reasonably priced gun holster from them once, but changed my mind and waited for the gun show to buy it three days later.

I am unsure how they afford to stay in business with those prices. I guess they sell two guns and it pays the electric bill for the month? LOL

9MMDerringer
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
9MM Derringer, .38 revolver, shotgun

Next Firearm:
Daisy BB Gun

Postby nosreme » Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:25:48

Last fall, I ordered a Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W from them. Within hours, they called to say that the supplier has been out for a long time and didn't know when one would be in. Rather than try to steer me to a CZ-75 (a "near Hi-Power" for some) or keep my hanging with an open order, they recommended I try some gun shows or buy one online. They were extraordinarily helpful and courteous. I was impressed enough after I did a transfer through them for the .40 HP that I decided to buy the 9mm Browning HP from them despite the price being a bit higher (MSRP) than it would have been in another shop, but with different sights. I'm satisfied. And we need to remember that it''s always a customer's prerogative to go elsewhere, and I can hardly call it a rip-off as the choice is mine whether to buy or walk.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
nosreme
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Colt Python

Postby zephyp » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:07:56

I love businesses that put the customer first. Several years ago I had an overheating problem with a Jeep Cherokee. A friend of mine recommended a local service station. The guy took my Jeep into the shop and five minutes later told me he found the problem. I was of course expecting a major job required. Bad radiator cap he said and its all fixed. He had one laying around that was the right kind and replaced it. The cost -- nothing. Result - I found a new mechanic and took my vehicles there until I left the area. You just cant beat that kind of service. The guy obviously knew how to snag a new customer.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby BadgerJack » Tue, 29 May 2012 01:26:36

9MMDerringer wrote: ... and this man was purchasing a pistol. They asked him if he had a gun lock. He said yes, I remembered from last time. I assumed that they wanted to sell one to him. The last two guns I bought from the gun show included a gun lock with the purchase. L

You are obviously unaware of the FEDERAL LAW that states that EVERY firearm that is sold- new OR used- MUST be supplied with a lock, or a locking container. Thank Clinton and Gore for that one!
Since most folks who sell or trade a handgun keep the lock [and often the box, paperwork, etc.] then the dealer, ANY dealer in Virginia as well as EVERY state, must be obliged to sell one or the other UNLESS THAT CUSTOMER HAS A LOCK IN HAND.
The law does not state that the lock must be ON the handgun, but it MUST be with the handgun at the time the new owner walks out with it.
Know The Law!
Badger Jack
Good luck, and God Speed.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
BadgerJack
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Jack

My Arsenal:
1911A1
1903, 1903A3, 1903 Sporter
WWII Mod 98 Sporter, .30-06, H.W. Hyem Barrel...
FNAR .308 Heavy, 4.5~14 MilDot, and
(12) 20 rnd mags...

Postby BadgerJack » Tue, 29 May 2012 01:37:28

confedrate wrote:Dawsons Guns, Woodbridge Virginia,
2 words. WATCH OUT!
I've noticed for some time their firearms were over priced, but it was usually within the realm of reality.
I had JGSales.com transfer a Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47 to Dawsons. Dawson charged me $50 forthe transfer which I thought was heavy but....on well.

Anyhow while waiting for the background check to come thru I looked at their guns. They had a AMD-65 on the wall IDENTICAL to the one I just got from jGSales.com... for $799.00. I paid JGSales $400.00 for the one Dawsons was transferring.

That takes balls....to double the regular price of a firearm. I guess they just thought they could get away with it on a unusual firearm so why not? That seems to be the way they price things there...as much as they think they can get. Other than the firearms transfers, I stay far away from that place. I buy at gun shows or online from jgsales.

Just to play Devils' Advocate
:
Remember that on-line sellers, like JGS, do not have the overhead and taxes like on-the-road-storefronts do, and the sheer quantity of firearms they sell allows them to sell at a much lower rate.
Remember also that if you have a problem, how are you going to solve it long-distance? Does JGS have people there who can trouble shoot your problem? Can you walk in their front door for help?
Why not try to find out the suggested retail price- NOT between the wholesale and dealer cost, which JGS and other seem to do- and see where some facts get you when buying?
Just a thought.
Badger Jack
Good luck, and God Speed.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
BadgerJack
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Jack

My Arsenal:
1911A1
1903, 1903A3, 1903 Sporter
WWII Mod 98 Sporter, .30-06, H.W. Hyem Barrel...
FNAR .308 Heavy, 4.5~14 MilDot, and
(12) 20 rnd mags...

Return to Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews