dawson's in Woodbridge

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

dawson's in Woodbridge

Postby flowmaster » Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:49:06

dawson's is on route 1 in woodbridge. if you don't mind driving through some rough areas to get there, its a good place to go. its in what used to be a friendlys restaurant. big place, good selection, and the guys i've talked to know what they're talking about, which is refreshing at times. ammo selection is good, stocking things like 303 brit and 7.5 swiss, which i couldn't find at gander mountain, blue ridge, NRA, or dick's.

opinions?

flowmaster
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: _

Re: dawson's in Woodbridge

Postby mroyal98 » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:29:59

flowmaster wrote:dawson's is on route 1 in woodbridge. if you don't mind driving through some rough areas to get there, its a good place to go. its in what used to be a friendlys restaurant. big place, good selection, and the guys i've talked to know what they're talking about, which is refreshing at times. ammo selection is good, stocking things like 303 brit and 7.5 swiss, which i couldn't find at gander mountain, blue ridge, NRA, or dick's.

opinions?

Yes, Dawsons is small but the people there are very good and friendly.

mroyal98
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Marion

My Arsenal:
M1 Garand 30-06 (CMP)
M1 30 Cal Carbine (CMP)
Mosin Nagant
Mauser Mod98 (From Dad - RIP)
Savage 22/410 Over/Under (first gun)
Savage 110 30-06
Remington 1100 (From Dad - RIP)
T&C Omega 50 cal Muzzle
Remington 243 (Wife's rifle from Pa-in-law)
Browning Gold 20 ga (Wife's shotgun)
CVA 50 cal Muzzle (Wife's black powder)
Kimber Team Match II 45ACP (Sweet)
S&W 937 38 Special (Carry)
S&W 910 9mm (Only gun I might sell)
H&K 32 (Sentimental)
and a few more

Postby logistixz » Wed, 06 May 2009 15:50:04

Dawson's is ok in my book. It almost seems like it depends on the mood of the staff? or maybe you just need to be a regular. Most of the time ive been in there the staff didnt really seem interested in what i was looking for

logistixz
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Glock 19, Lanber 2097

Next Firearm:
Glock 26

Postby flashman » Wed, 13 May 2009 15:01:41

logistixz wrote:Dawson's is ok in my book. It almost seems like it depends on the mood of the staff? or maybe you just need to be a regular. Most of the time ive been in there the staff didnt really seem interested in what i was looking for

That was pretty much my experience also. They're very pricey on handguns, shotgun prices are reasonable. When I go by there I usually buy a little something - reloading supplies or cleaning supplies. But if I'm buying a gun it's VA Arms or Trader Jerry at a show.
Faithful and True

flashman
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby graybeard321 » Sun, 17 May 2009 20:35:54

I live less then 5 mintues from Dawson's and I haven't been in there for over 5 years. The last time I was there I was looking for a 22 for my wife and they gave me the impression that it was a bother to wait on me.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
graybeard321
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: brent

My Arsenal:
Ruger gp100 357
Glock mod 35 40cal
Kimber tactical II custom
para ord 1911

Postby logistixz » Sun, 17 May 2009 21:04:07

yeah, apparently you must be one of the "guys" since i had to sit around for 30 minutes before anybody would give me any help at all (they helped 2-3 other guys before they would finally ask if i needed help, while a different guy that came in after me they would show him whatever he wanted to see.) ill take my business elsewhere from now on, im all about supporting the local gun shop but ill make the extra drive to support different one.

logistixz
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Glock 19, Lanber 2097

Next Firearm:
Glock 26

Postby rstick » Tue, 19 May 2009 21:41:07

Got a brand new Leupold VX-II scope mounted and bore-sighted to a Ruger M77 Mark II by some guy there 3 years ago. He was a young looking doofus guy. Took it to the range and noticed that my scope was bouncing around inside the front sight ring. I was more than furious. I took it back and an older gentleman asked who handled it, he asked if it was a "young guy", I told him it was and he didn't seem surprised. Seems to me if you have someone you don't trust enough to mount scopes he shouldn't be mounting scopes. He re mounted it and I left. They have a great selection of ammo, but their prices are a little too steep on their firearms, and I would never have any other work done by them. Otherwise they have a great store with a great selection in hunting/fishing equipment.

rstick
On Target
On Target

Postby Tinygnat219 » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:15:36

Dawson's is an odd duck.
I have yet to not find a wierd batch of ammo for any of my older guns that I shoot there. Handgun Prices are the highest I have seen in NOVA, rifle prices seem "ok". Transfer Fee of 65 dollars is also high.

However, when I was looking for a pound of W231 powder, they had it. When I needed 7.5 Swiss hunting ammo, they had it.
When I needed 9MM Largo ammo, they had it.

I go to them when I can't find it elsewhere. I agree though that their prices are too high in general.

Tinygnat219
On Target
On Target

Postby 40shooter » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:04:29

I've been to Dawson's many times, I would just love to buy a handgun from there but as stated before the prices are too high. I want to buy there because the staff has been outstanding to me and I believe that if you give me good customer service then I can give you my business. I also believe in NOT over paying by up to $200 for a handgun. everytime I go there I stay much longer than planned because I end up in conversation with the staff, I think thguys there that chat with mr are top notch. No pressure to buy, just good down to earth folk.
NRA Member
VCDL Member

40shooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: John

Postby CasaDefender » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:36:28

I went there for the first time this past weekend. Very friendly staff and they were busy. I ended up buying a hand gun and am now still waiting. Max I've ever waited was 4 hours for my background check im now going on 3 days. When i call to inquire about it, they seem pissed. -Which im sure im not the only one calling.

They do seem to have a nice little store, and stall seems knowledgable and helpful.

CasaDefender
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Colt 1911 Combat Elite 45 ACP
Colt AR-15 (pre ban)
Springfield Armory XD 9mm
Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP
Smith & Wesson 9mm
Ruger 10/.22
and many more unlisted.

Postby jrswanson1 » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:20:27

They're my reloading supply store. I'm heading there after work to pick up some more powder and primers. They charge full retail on all of their firearms.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag