BAD EXPERIENCE AT BLUE RIDGE ARSENAL

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

Postby michanecash » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:36:33

I have shot at the range here several times. I own 3 handguns and 6 rifles none of which i have purchased at Blue Ridge. I have been shooting since I was in my single digits and have shot competitively in skeet. I have been thinking for some time about buying a Glock and while visiting Blue Ridge on a lunch break one day took the plunge. I bought a Glock 22 (re-certified). I was told by the salesman that they replace all the worn parts and they are good as new. I have heard lots of good things about the Glocks longevity and the excellent reputation for quality so I thought this would be good buy. It was still $475, so not all that much cheaper than a new one. I have a CWP so purchase was easy and I left with the gun.

I came back that night and shot it with a friend along with 4-5 other hand guns between the two of us. It quickly became evident that the gun had issues. It would stove pipe every 20-30 rounds. A couple times the slide would lock back while there were still rounds left in the magazine leaving the next round loose in the chamber. My friend shot the gun and duplicated my findings as well. I called over the range master (whom all double as sales men) and showed him the gun in its currently defective state. He asked to fire it. He went through one magazine and did not have an issue. He then lectured me on how to hold a handgun. It seemed a little odd considering we had another Glock sitting out, ruger src, 1911, a POS Taurus and another firearm(cant remember what) which we had no other issues with. I was two rounds into another magazine when it defected again. He was watching me shoot at this time, so I was naturally trying to shoot extremely effectively as to demonstrate my competency with a handgun. He told me, "Don't worry you'll get the hang of it". I was frustrated to say the least.

The next day I went in and talked to the salesman who sold me the Glock. I told him that I was not happy with the gun and would like to return it for store credit, let them sort out the issues with Glock (since they are the licensed distributor) and let me have store credit towards another gun. I told him I would purchase a new XD-45 there on the spot. He said that was not an option. I could either get the gun fixed by contacting Glock or let the Armorer look at it. I hung around for the Armorer who took the gun and shot it. He came back with the main spring removed from the gun and said here is your problem. He had a new spring with him and told be to visit the cashier. I PAID FOR A PART FOR THE GUN I BOUGHT 24 HOURS PREVIOUSLY. He said he wasnt going to charge me any labor though (thanks).

Anyways, That was 4-5 months ago and it still bothers me. I havent had an issue with the Glock since, but it was bad experience. I would not recommend this seller and I think Glock should revisit their rebuilding process.

michanecash
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
2- M1903 A3
1- S & W .38 Special
1 - Remington Model 1100 (12 gauge)
1 - Remington Model 597 (.22 cal)
1 - Remington Model 700

Re: BAD EXPERIENCE AT BLUE RIDGE ARSENAL

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:12:29

Wow, that sucks. Out of curiosity why not spend the few extra bucks and buy new? I know guns tend to retain their value, but it would take a bigger discount than that to buy one used.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Riposite » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:44:19

have to figure to , it was probably originally one of their rentals so it had probably had some hard living ...

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rip

My Arsenal:
I don't have an arsenal-if I did it might include a few sigs and a black rifle-but I most assuredly don't have an arsenal

Next Firearm:
No idea; maybe a high capacity 9mm

Postby michanecash » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:46:54

I should have just bought a new one. I was being a little cheap I guess. I also thought they were better rebuilds. My understanding was that glock rebuilt these guns and then sold them to the dealer. I do not bel

michanecash
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
2- M1903 A3
1- S & W .38 Special
1 - Remington Model 700

Postby scrubber3 » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:08:28

I don't think Glock rebuilds and resells. The fact that the guide rod/ recoil spring was ineffective would signify that. You bought a used Glock. Period. Was there any paperwork from Glock that stated it was rebuilt? I'd call Glock and ask of the serial number has been through any kind of rebuilding process.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Chasbo00 » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:33:07

If it was a Glock factory refurbished (Glock calls them reconditioned) pistol, it should have had a tag as shown below:

These pistols have the same warranty as a new Glock.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby michanecash » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:17:29

It came with paperwork an had the band as in the picture. I could have gone to glock but preferred the dealer be an advocate for me. The dealer needs to have some skin in the game. Otherwise glock would sell direct instead.

michanecash
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
2- M1903 A3
1- S & W .38 Special
1 - Remington Model 700

Postby Chasbo00 » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:02:44

michanecash wrote:It came with paperwork an had the band as in the picture. I could have gone to glock but preferred the dealer be an advocate for me. The dealer needs to have some skin in the game. Otherwise glock would sell direct instead.

Dealer markups on guns are surprisingly low. They make their money on accessories, ammo and other items. Regardless, I think they should have at least offered to replace the RSA at their cost. Rather than return the pistol to Glock for repair, I would have let the dealer replace the RSA just as you did. That way I could immediately see if it solved the problem and I would not have to eat the time to send the pistol back to Glock even though sending the pistol back to Glock could be done at no cost. I think one of Blue Ridge Arsenal's real pluses as a dealer is that they have a range right there - really useful when issues such as this one come up.

Just out of curiosity, what did they charge you? The factory direct cost for a RSA for a Gen 3 Glock 22 is about 5 dollars as I recall. You can buy one today from lots of on-line retailers for about 7 or 8 dollars.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby michanecash » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:42:44

It wasn't much, mayb 12 bucks. I just expected more. I was not happy with the gun. I thought store credit and buying a xd new was a fair trade. The attitude of everyone there was such that the were always demeaning. I am on the front line of a customer service industry. I take a lot of abuse and therefore am pretty familiar with customer and their expectations being over the top and unrealistic in what to expect in a transaction. I think they could of handles it a lot better.

michanecash
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
2- M1903 A3
1- S & W .38 Special
1 - Remington Model 700

Postby Chasbo00 » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:13:40

michanecash wrote: I think they could of handles it a lot better.

They probably could have. I've never thought customer relations in general to be a strong suit among most of those who work in gun shops. Maybe they are a bit gruff because they get guns pointed at them all the time. And, many gun stores seem to have more than their fair share of know-it-alls spewing more than a little BS about. But, there are some really knowledgeable folks who are excellent in both the sales and support arenas working in gun stores too. All considered, I think you got treated fairly and your problem was solved quickly. There are plenty of horror stories about folks buying a new gun and not being able to get it working properly after expending lots of time and dollars. At least you did not have this experience.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Riposite » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:26:23

michanecash wrote:It wasn't much, mayb 12 bucks. I just expected more. I was not happy with the gun. I thought store credit and buying a xd new was a fair trade. The attitude of everyone there was such that the were always demeaning. I am on the front line of a customer service industry. I take a lot of abuse and therefore am pretty familiar with customer and their expectations being over the top and unrealistic in what to expect in a transaction. I think they could of handles it a lot better.

range wise I never had trouble at BRA, but i did try to purchase a Glock 23, and they pretty much ignored me to chat up with regulars until I left and bought it at NOVA ARMAMENT in Herndon -though even they had the stereotypical gun store employee attitude; but that experience soured me on BRA in general, I mean I had money in hand to buy stock and their attitude was, even thoguh i had come in and asked the salesguy to show me the gun, it was more important to stop and chat up his buddy for 30 minutes who walked in after me. Pretty much told me where I stood with them, you are either part of the in crowd or you should feel yourself lucky they deal with you.

then thanks to this Forum I discovered Sterling Arsenal and get my guns at better prices with nicer service -feels more like shopping at a hobby shop then a gun store. If Sterling is too far and you are closer to Manassas, the gun stores down there tend to be pretty good reputations too (guns and ammo warehouse, virginia arms etc etc)

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rip

My Arsenal:
I don't have an arsenal-if I did it might include a few sigs and a black rifle-but I most assuredly don't have an arsenal

Next Firearm:
No idea; maybe a high capacity 9mm

Postby ProShooter » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:08:23

A smart business move would have been to give you the new spring for free.

A smarter business move would have been for the range officer to get the armorer to look at it while you were on the range.

Just because someone is in business, that does not make them a businessman.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:17:44

ProShooter wrote:A smart business move would have been to give you the new spring for free.

A smarter business move would have been for the range officer to get the armorer to look at it while you were on the range.

Just because someone is in business, that does not make them a businessman.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby wolfhfac » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:37:50

Blue Ridge Arsenal sucks!! High prices and incompetent salespeople. If it wasn't for the gun range, they would be out of business.

wolfhfac
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Wolvee » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:23:38

So you and your friend had issues but when the emplyee fired it he didnt have issues? Guns dont pick qho they work for. If tou do your part, they should do theirs. For the employee to not have issues tells me he was doing his part and tou and your friend were not. It doeant matter how nuch experiencwle you tell us you have.

And you're just now telling us? I blame the shooter, not the gun.

Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby scrubber3 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 02:07:31

While Glocks have springs for those limp wrist guys (no offense), this pistol didn't have one in it, but there was one available. Right there on the shelf in that store he just bought the pistol from of all places....How hard would it have been for that store to pull that part that cost them no more than $8 and put it in the "new pistol" they just sold so they can have a repeat customer? Trust me, they would have still made some money off of the deal. Not to mention the ammo the OP bought and whatever else he would have bought in the future.

BTW, the pistol you purchased is a fine weapon. Has a proven track record of many years and once you straight wrist it, or get the spring that works for you, it will never let you down. To be honest, I've only seen a Glock stoppage once. That was a young lady who shot the first round fine, but the second didn't due to her weakened grip. It was a second gen 19 that has never once had a stoppage, and never since then had any issue whatsoever. No matter what ammo was used. Same with my G30 and G26. Or any other ones I've came across. My old friends in 3rd and 7th group have no issues either. ;)
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Wolvee » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:58:14

I would agree IF the employee would have been able to duplicate the problem but he didn't which probably shows the shooter and his friend don't really have the experience level they think they have. (Every man thinks he's Mario Andretti but really they are probably Gomer Pyle.)

A business isn't a place to give away money or charity just because someone else thinks they should. That's liberal think.

I also agree, it's a good pistol for what it is.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby jrswanson1 » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:28:48

Wolvee wrote:I would agree IF the employee would have been able to duplicate the problem but he didn't which probably shows the shooter and his friend don't really have the experience level they think they have. (Every man thinks he's Mario Andretti but really they are probably Gomer Pyle.)

A business isn't a place to give away money or charity just because someone else thinks they should. That's liberal think.

I also agree, it's a good pistol for what it is.

If you had read the whole thing, the BRA armorer said the problem was the spring. They sold him the spring even though he had just purchased the gun there. If I buy something from a store, I'd expect the thing to work correctly, not need new parts. That's not liberal think, that's common sense. Anyone who wants repeat customers would do this.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag
Rem 11-87P
Spanish SxS 12 Gauge
ParaOrdnance P16-40 .40 S&W
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger Mark II
CVA Magnum black powder rifle
Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WM
Keltec PF9
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
RIA 1911 Bright Nickel .45 ACP
Enfield No. 1 Mark III*
Vz54/91
Vz52
Model of 1917 Enfield
Fazakerly No. 4 Mk I South African issued
Lithgow No. 1 Mk. III
Vz-24
Ishapore 2a
Enfield No.1 Mk III Republic of Ireland issued

Next Firearm:
Who am I kidding

Postby Mindflayer » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 00:14:32

Sigh. Everything is "liberal think" or "neo-conservative think" nowadays. How about just good, nature-given common (customer service) sense? There's no political slant here.

Just annoys the hell out of me - comments like "liberal think" on a customer service issue derails the entire discussion by someone pulling a strawman chicken little,

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Wolvee » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:37:59

Why should a company supply someone with something that they can't prove they need that's above and beyond the product they bought? All the Op proved to us is he's a limp wrists and his Glock was sensitive to it. The employee gave him a free option which was sending it in to Glock. Which the OP said no to. If you want to fix it yourself, you're going to have to pay for it.

This GS didn't do anything out of the ordinary. The inexperienced shooter who had issues, had buyers remorse and wanted something else and if all the gun shops gave in to that kind of thing, then they wouldn't stay in business.

You buy a new or used gun with the manufactures warranty only and IF the company see fit to supply a supplemental warranty is completely up to them and is definitely OUT of the ordinary.

Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Next

Return to Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews