BAD EXPERIENCE AT BLUE RIDGE ARSENAL

If you got a good deal or great service from a shop or range and you want to brag about them, here's the place to do it. Likewise, if you are unhappy about someone's service or feel like you've been ripped off, we want to know that too!

Re: BAD EXPERIENCE AT BLUE RIDGE ARSENAL

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 16:11:24

I emailed BRA about this because I wondered if there were more to the story or to give BRA the chance to make it right with the OP if things worked out the way he said, this is their response.

I read the forum complaint. He did buy a used Glock 22 from Blue Ridge Arsenal. He had a problem with the recoil spring and we repaired it. If my armorer would have known he bought the Glock from Blue Ridge Arsenal he would not have been charged. There wasn't any communication between the salesperson and the armorer.

-Earl

OP, contact Earl who replied to my email and see if you can get a refund for the part you had to buy for your troubles. I think that would be more than fair and of course see if they'll trade you for the firearm you want. I doubt he would do that but it's worth a shot to ask.

I should add though that the Glock, even used, is a much better gun than the XD.
Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby scrubber3 » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:35:45

Yes, the Glock is heads and shoulders better than the XD.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:16:17

I think that company sould post in this thread and take care of the OP's issue for him. I would think that if they don't post in the thread w/ a solution or take care of the OP's issues with some sort of parts refund, then they would loose the business of many.

I spend $10-15k a year on high end firearms as do many. Poor customer service on a easily googled forum is not something I'd want if I were a business.
Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby michanecash » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:16:45

I'm not going back. I posted my review based on my interaction. I appreciate someone trying to reach out to blue ridge for me, but the bad taste is already there. I will be trying sterling arsenal in the future since I have heard so many good reviews.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

michanecash
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
2- M1903 A3
1- S & W .38 Special
1 - Remington Model 1100 (12 gauge)
1 - Remington Model 597 (.22 cal)
1 - Remington Model 700

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:01:27

There is a phrase in business.

"Satisfied Customers Tell Three Friends, Angry Customers Tell 3000"- Pete Blackshaw.

And an internet forum allows that more, and more.

I live in Richmond, but now know "Do not go to Blue Ridge Arsenal." How's that going to translate for their sales? ... think about it.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby nosreme » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:32:33

I'm going to be the odd man out here. I've only been a member up there for three months but have shot there a lot. I've also spent more than a little time window shopping guns and have invariably found the staff polite, knowledgeable, responsive, and helpful. Sure, every business is bound to have a wholly avoidable bad moment now and then, but it tends to skew things out of perspective when lots who weren't party to the bungled transaction use the ease of the internet to up the "ain't it awful" ante. I plan to continue going there.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
nosreme
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Mike

Postby LanceUppercut » Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:03:13

For what it is worth just last month I had a great customer service experience with them.

Before leaving Florida I purchased a competitively priced (should have been my tip off) .22 Astra Constable at a gun show. When I tried to shoot it the slide would lock back even though there was more ammo in the magazine.

The BRA gunsmith discovered that the prior owner installed the slide stop spring incorrectly when assembling it and fixed it without charging me. Actually all he wanted was a cup of coffee which I happily went out to purchase for him.

Will I go back there again? You bet I will.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
LanceUppercut
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Many

Postby m4a1mustang » Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:31:19

I have always had good experiences with the staff there. Always friendly and polite. I recently signed up for a range membership since I like them quite a bit.
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

Postby BDubyaM » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:16:35

As a sales rep and a customer I can see this both ways. A business is a business, but it is also true that putting forth the added effort to ensure the customer is satisfied with a product that was purchased from your establish goes a very long way with customer retention. AND if you have the means and resources to do so (i.e. on site gunsmith and parts), when it comes to customer satisfation, what does it really cost that business to simply replace the part for the customer. Something as simple as that is the same as if someone buys the part in your store, I half expect the installment to be done free of charge.

Unfortunately customer service is what it is, good help is hard to find and you just cannot force people to always have good attitudes. Standing behind that counter all day long, and as someone pointed out earlier, having guns pointed at you all day and dealing with even a handful of unsavory people that come through the door, it can be difficult for that sales rep to take a step back and treat the next customer unbaisly.

I haven't been to BRA myself, but I haven't heard anything yet that would indefinitely deter me from going there. For the OP if that is the only bad experience you've had there, I wouldn't necessarily cut them off just yet. I have seen and heard worse of other establishments in the area. However if you are looking for another shop and shoot, might I recommend SharpShooters?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
BDubyaM
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: B

Postby bjornolf » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:44:57

FWIW, I've never had a problem with BRA. It can get crowded, but every shop can.

Endowment Life Member, NRA
Member, SWCA
Member, SWHF
Founding Member, MASF
S&W Expert, GVB

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
bjornolf
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
.38 Smith & Wesson M&P from 1928. Was my great grandfather's when he was a secret service agent.

Next Firearm:
Colt SAA

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 23:31:21

I dropped my membership with BRA for poor customer service for something I was paying monthly to get.

With my membership I was supposed to get...

priority range Use
- That never happend. When they were busy, I always saw non-members go ahead of me.

unlimited shooting time on Weekdays
- This didn't happen either. Every time there was the slightest wait, I was told my time was up. When I complained, I was told that the range use was "subject to availability".

2 hour limit on the Weekends
- Same as weekdays

call ahead lane reservation Monday through Thursday 5-9 pm
- Every time I called, I was told that call-ahead was not available. When I complained I was told call ahead was "subject to availability".

$10 off FFL Transfers
- As far as I can tell this never happened either. I don't know what there regular price is, but the one time I asked, they told me as a member it was $35 after the discount. I had another shop do the transfer for me. Their regular price is $30, but they did it for free because I was a good repeat customer.

Plus... I am a member of a range with 25, 50, and 100 yard shoot points for half what BRA was charging me.

BRA is off my list of places to shoot or shop.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby bjornolf » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:20:02

Where's that range?

Endowment Life Member, NRA
Member, SWCA
Member, SWHF
Founding Member, MASF
S&W Expert, GVB

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
bjornolf
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
.38 Smith & Wesson M&P from 1928. Was my great grandfather's when he was a secret service agent.

Next Firearm:
Colt SAA

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:31:01

Range 82 in Midland, VA. http://www.range82.com/

From where you are, go to 95 south to 143b. Take 610 west for about 18-20 miles. Should be about 30 minute ride.

Members and commercial contracts only. No hourly shooters.

Commercial shooters during the day during the week; members after 4 on Tues-Thur and members only on Saturday. Considering I typically only shoot after work or on the weekends, the schedule works out perfect for me.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Gunsmithjim » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 08:15:19

Just to let you know, BRA has filtered out the "bad apples", hired new sales and range staff and set new standards for operations. Also they brought in a REAL gunsmith from the west coast, with a full service machine shop. He works on everything you can throw at him. The atmosphere has changed at BRA, and the owners have put a lot of time and money into getting the right employees in there.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
Gunsmithjim
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Colt LE6940
Matrix Aerospace AR15 #666
Penn Arms SL6 37mm rotary launcher
Mossberg 500A
SPAS 12
2-Glock 19
2-HK p30x
2-S&W MP pistols
4 custom 1911's

Postby bikiboki » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:42:14

I've been a member at BRA for over a year, and have never had a bad experience there. The staff (and RSO's) are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I shoot there at least once per week, and always finding myself looking forward to the next trip....before I even get out of the parking lot. Maybe things were different in times gone by...but they're great now :first: .

Bill
There are only three types of mistakes: Those you suffer from; those you learn from; and those you don't survive.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
bikiboki
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Nothing to see here.

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 15:21:30

Gunsmithjim wrote:Just to let you know, BRA has filtered out the "bad apples", hired new sales and range staff and set new standards for operations. Also they brought in a REAL gunsmith from the west coast, with a full service machine shop. He works on everything you can throw at him. The atmosphere has changed at BRA, and the owners have put a lot of time and money into getting the right employees in there.

Are you the new gunsmith or other staff/owner doing damage control?

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 22:45:13

DAANNNGGG MARC!

I was about to type the same thing! :roll:

Based on that? I might go INTO the shop when in "NoVaLand-Home of the Blue Bellies", but it'll be a NEUTRAL opinion. Probably won't shoot, or buy anything, but I'll observe what's going on.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 23:53:38

LOL... can't wait to hear the results.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Rumson » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:43:08

I was in there last night to help a new shooter.. Good experience overall..

Rumson
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rumson

My Arsenal:
Break in and find out.

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 03:58:25

I'm sure walking in off the street without a membership during the week is fine. My problem is I was paying hundreds of dollars a year for special privileges as a member... and didn't always get them. Some benefits I never got. Now that I think of it, I was a member for two years and I never got my 6 free guest passes for the second year either... man, I am getting upset all over again.

If you are a member... let me know how it goes on a busy Friday or Saturday when there are a ton of walk-in's waiting. Are you gonna get put in order or get the member's "Priority Range Use".

And the call ahead range reservation for members is still listed as "Subject to Availability" on their site. If it is a non-tangible item, but rather a service or having your name added to list on a piece of paper, how the hell is "I'm on my way down, please put my name on the list" subject to availability? Did someone lose the clip board?

Before I get sued for running my mouth... I'm just gonna stop.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

PreviousNext

ads

Return to Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews