Venison recipes?

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Venison recipes?

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:50:19

My daughter hit a small doe the other day. This was my first time dressing a deer - what a joy! heh. There was no damage at all to any of the meat, so it was a good hit. Daughter wasn;t injured, minor damage to her cheap old Saturn. So, all-in-all, a pretty good deal for some free deer meat!

Anyway - I'd like to hear some recipes that you all use. I just bought a dehydrator so that I can make some jerky. Planning to use most of the loins for that.

I was thinking about doing a stew or something with the shoulders - or maybe finding someone with a meat grinder to make some deer burger. Hell I dunno.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Re: Venison recipes?

Postby Palladin » Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:17:29

I did a roast the other day, with black pepper, garlic and salt. Covered the whole thing with bacon to keep it moist, 225° for a coupla hours... internal 165°. Holy cow was it good! some horseradish and crusty bread...mmmm

yes on stew - my brother roasts the bones on a cookie sheet then makes soup stock out of them. Deer burger in your spaghetti sauce? - you'll never want hamburger again!
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby dmharvey » Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:27:12

I prefer to keep it simple...salt, pepper, garlic. The key with venison is to not over-cook it.

dmharvey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Dennis

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 02:10:47

I'd be more prone to smoking with a nice dry rub over a dehydrator. Just my opinion. Lots of good commercial rubs already to prep your meats. Smokers are pretty reasonable and not hard to use. Takes a few days, but your dried meats will taste good for. About a year with no refrigeration if you do it right.

That black pepper, garlic, salt, bacon combo sounds awesome. I mean, there's bacon. How bad could it be? LoL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:45:50

Traditional seasoning for a venison roast is salt and pepper after you rub with crushed juniper berries. Also some folks stab into the venison with a knife and poke strips of uncured pork fat strips unto the meat because it is so lean. Bacon wraps work, but the cured bacon overpowers the taste of the venison. If it's tenderloin, just fry it the same way you would any other tenderloin cutlets, but use butter and don't overcook it.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Viper21 » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:19:47

My absolute favorite way is to marinate backstraps in Apple cider. Take a medallion cut & wrap a single slice of thin bacon, add a little seasoned salt, pepper, & a bit of montreal steak seasoning, & grill to medium. Have turned several, "I don't like venison" types into "Got any more of those deer steak" types....

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby kelu » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:26:15

Just shut up... no mercy for us other poor souls? where's the drooling icon?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby smltooner » Tue, 21 Nov 2017 17:37:34

kelu wrote:Just shut up... no mercy for us other poor souls? where's the drooling icon?

+1
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:47:59

My favorite way? Cut the tenderloin into medallions, the hind quarter into THIN steaks, cover in melted butter (NOT CLARIFIED! You need the fat!), then coat with Montreal steak seasoning from McCormicks.

Low, and slow over charcoal... it's awesome!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby AlanM » Mon, 27 Nov 2017 07:32:43

The venison served by my daughter Thursday was marinated in wine and, albeit a little dry, was probably the best I've ever had.
Absolutely no "gamey" taste.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Snakester » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:29:53

I haven't cooked Venison in about 15 yrs. but I always liked thin sliced steaks with onions. Our property in Dinwiddie is now over run with deer since 1000's of acres of timber has been harvested around us. They are really eating Carol's rose's and fruit trees. She says at least 1 or 2 are going in the freezer in November.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby AlanM » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 19:33:28

Snakester wrote:I haven't cooked Venison in about 15 yrs. but I always liked thin sliced steaks with onions. Our property in Dinwiddie is now over run with deer since 1000's of acres of timber has been harvested around us. They are really eating Carol's rose's and fruit trees. She says at least 1 or 2 are going in the freezer in November.

You need a bigger freezer and more ammo.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Snakester » Thu, 19 Jul 2018 22:16:50

I have a friend that is a butcher. He is always fishing but , does not hunt. I've taken him a lot of deer over the years . With us it's a trade off. He processes and stores the deer . We get it when ever we want.....And AMMO will never be an issue !!! :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Mindflayer » Fri, 20 Jul 2018 19:11:09

Let's see:

1) Simple black and white (salt and pepper) rub. Don't go crazy. Seal it up, sous vide - venison is lean so sous vide works well - at 130F for an hour to 2 hours, then sear on cast iron that's smoking hot. Don't over cook! Serve with beer or a good red.
2) I also sous vide tenderloin, and then slice into medallions, served with a red wine reduction. Mmm mmm good.
3) Roast with potatoes and other root vegetables. Mmm mmm.
4) Ground stuff into anything you'd use ground beef.
5) Slow cooker.
6) Slice thin filets. Sear quickly. Done.
7) One of my unexpected ones - smoked low low low and slow with a pepper spice rub. Turned the deer meat into venison pastrami. I had one small taste... wife invited neighbor over, and her sister and brother in law were already there. By the time I got the salmon off the smoker, most of the venison was GONE. I saved some for the next day... this time they ate it cold. Yeah, cold venison pastrami. I was both pleased as the chef, and bummed I didn't get any!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Palladin » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 23:38:15

Grind w 15-20% pork fat...

Wow.
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Return to Hunting in Virginia