Hunting doe with a 357 snub nose? legal and ethical?

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Hunting doe with a 357 snub nose? legal and ethical?

Postby Ram703 » Thu, 14 Feb 2019 02:56:32

its legal in Virginia from my understanding but do yall think its ethical. talking about 15-20 yards.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Ram703
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
357 snub nose revolver

Re: Hunting doe with a 357 snub nose? legal and ethical?

Postby Utah » Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:25:29

If you do your part the gun will do it's...with that said ethical...YES...just need to know your limitations.
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:27:45

the majority of loads in a 2" BBL 357 are not going to achieve the required 350 ft-lb of energy.

therefore your ethics question is moot, if the firearm selected is illegal to use.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Oakes » Sun, 04 Aug 2019 16:23:02

My ex wife shot a deer and killed it with a 6" model 66 in NY

Oakes
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 08 Aug 2019 06:45:11

Will it shoot as well as a bow and arrow?

Wouldn't be my first choice (power, not accuracy) but it would work if you can hit what you aim at where you want the bullet to hit.

Looks like Remington makes several .357 magnum loads that are over 400 ft lbs but only tested in 4" or longer barrels. One is darn near 600 ft lbs. No idea what effect/velocity/energy you'd get from a shorter barrel.

Around here you have to use buckshot in a shotgun to deer hunt with. Shotguns don't shoot groups, they shoot patterns (really ugly pistol groups is what they look like). The shot size is smaller than a .357 and the pellets lighter. Lighter pellets means the velocity/energy drops off faster. Poor "groups" means you don't get all those pellets in the right place on the deer. I'd argue that the listed energy of buck shot loads don't mean squat since all the pellets won't be on the target - unless you're close enough to throw rocks. All that doesn't mean squat when it comes to what is/is not legal, but we know who makes laws - people that usually have little to no understanding of what they're telling everyone else must be done.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 09 Aug 2019 22:49:30

"All that doesn't mean squat when it comes to what is/is not legal, but we know who makes laws - people that usually have little to no understanding of what they're telling everyone else must be done."

This. This, right here. The source of much of my grumpiness and frustrations.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

ads

Return to Hunting in Virginia