Fobus Double Magazine SingleStk .22/.380/.32 PdlDouble Magazine SingleStk .22/.380/.32 Pdl
Fobus
    Fobus Double Magazine Pouch PX4, Glock36, BeltDouble Magazine Pouch PX4, Glock36, Belt
Fobus
    Fobus Double Mag Pouch Glock 36Double Mag Pouch Glock 36
Fobus

Hog hunting in VA

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Hog hunting in VA

Postby mikejmarine » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:58:49

Saw a special on Hogzilla last night and it got me thinking about hog hunting. I know they are here in VA, shoot, the base has a standing kill order on them. Well, they have been labeled a nuisance species and if you get the opportunity to kill them you should, kind of along the same lines for coyotes and ground hogs. I’ve also read about special hog hunts over around the va beach area. So say I wanted to shoot a pig, where would you all suggest I start? I’ve hunted all over Quantico but I’ve never seen any signs or anything, that or I just misinterpreted it as something else. If anyone has any suggestions I’m more than glad to listen.
Respectfully
Mike
It's better to have one or two guns and be extremely proficient with them, than to have hundreds which you can barely shoot.

mikejmarine
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Michael

My Arsenal:
citidal 1911
Winchester model 120
Mathews XLR8
10/22 Ruger
Remington 700 243

Next Firearm:
currently working on my 700

Re: Hog hunting in VA

Postby SgtBill » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:37:39

Mike I have no idea about Hog's in Va. but if you get any info I would be more then happy to hunt with you or just be your backup. I killed one in Crossville Tenn. in 1973 on my Bachelor party hunting trip. He went 258 lbs. and it took 2 shot's from my .44 Mag. to put him down. Some of the best pig meat I ever ate.

Semper Fi ! brother.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby mikejmarine » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:39:07

Oh man, I'll do some more research into it and I'll se what I can find. I had every intention of using my bow for this deed, but 2 shots from a 44... hmmm makes ya think twice.
It's better to have one or two guns and be extremely proficient with them, than to have hundreds which you can barely shoot.

mikejmarine
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
citidal 1911
Winchester model 120
Mathews XLR8
10/22 Ruger
Remington 700 243

Next Firearm:

Postby SgtBill » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:36:22

I can backup your bow with the .44 Mag.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby Vahunter » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:27:25

There are a bunch not far from fredericksburg but you can cancel hunting them, the locals have all the private land locked up. The ones you hear about in Va Beach are by drawing only. I was gonna try it last year a did some research and found that only about 5 were taken the year before. That's out of 44 hunters for each of the 2 hunts that were held. Not very good odds. I have done a little research on hunting them in S.C. and like of the idea of using a long blade knife while the catch dog has a hold on him. Seperates the men from the idiots. :whistle: :hysterical:

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby Diomed » Thu, 17 Mar 2011 01:33:41

We had a thread on this not too long ago. The upshot was that while there are hogs here - and they're a problem in a few places - you've got your work cut out for you in finding a place that has them and will allow you (i.e. not a professional hunter) to go after them.

I would dearly love to introduce some piggies to some of my toys, but I don't think it'll happen. At least not in Virginia. Down south there're a lot more opportunities.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby mikejmarine » Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:37:34

SgtBill wrote:I can backup your bow with the .44 Mag.
Bill

Well if I can score a pig hunt I'll definitely keep that in mind. But something tells me that getting a pig hunt together maybe A LOT harder than I though. Oh hey, the wife works at Potomac hospital and she said she was talking about hunting with a guy and he said CF Phelps has some pigs running around on it. No telling how true that is but figured it was worth mentioning. Tell you all what though I’ll see if I can get a hold of the base game warden to see if he’ll be willing to point me in the right direction

mikejmarine
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
citidal 1911
Winchester model 120
Mathews XLR8
10/22 Ruger
Remington 700 243

Next Firearm:

Postby kevinmfduane » Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:45:51

Any follow up, Mike? Did the warden at Phelps say he had ever seen wild pigs there?

kevinmfduane
On Target
On Target

Postby justsumstuff » Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:25:45

Try this link. It is closed this year, but it gives dates for 2012.
https://www.vaquotahunts.com/

I went to the National Forests websites & they close sections to hunt feral hogs. No specific information on how the hunt is conducted, but there are phone numbers. I searched for hogs & got some hits.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... &%20Events

Good Luck!

justsumstuff
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Judy

Postby mikejmarine » Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:14:11

Hey all....sorry I havent been on in a while....no luck with a va hog hunt in va yet....the cf phelps lead seemed to be a bust...i asked the quantico warden about hogs on quantico and they said not yet....oh well im gonna keep looking...I'm sure ill find some place sooner than later...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mikejmarine
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
citidal 1911
Winchester model 120
Mathews XLR8
10/22 Ruger
Remington 700 243

Next Firearm: