Hog hunting in Culpeper

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Hog hunting in Culpeper

Postby TommyLUD86 » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:21:39

Hey guys, I'm Tommy. I'm new to this site, and this state. so i'll give you a little background. Since my first pellet gun when i was 10 i've been a squirrel hunter...killer...ya know how kids are. And then i got my first gun for christmas when i was 16. A Ruger 10/22. It's a little harder to shoot them squirrels from you're garage with stealth with an acual firearm. So needless to say this was the end of my murderous days.

In the last few years i've been looking into getting into actual hunting. Having taken my hunter safety course and aquired multiple rifles and shotguns...even a pistol and license(from NY)...i've become very interested and a little more proactive about it. Now I'm living in Norfolk VA(recently moved from Connecticut..temporarily). A couple of my coworkers and I recently learned of hog hunting just before moving here. Never knew it was such a popular sport. Then we found out why it is...hogs, like coyte are a nuisence.

So we thought while our jobs were going to keep us down here we'd give hog hunting a shot. We know they're a nuisence so we know that people are wanting them harvested.

My 2 friends and I are looking for a place to hunt them..we've been told that Culpeper County is the place to go. I have a Marlin model 336 .35 with me in VA. I'm sure that this is more than enough gun for a decent sized hog...from what i've read.

If anyone has land that they'd allow us to hunt on..i'd be more than happy to buy you and you're wife dinner this friday...or saturday...or lunch on sunday...whichever works for you. My friends and I are looking for an experience. We've never hunted hog and would really apperciate the opportunity.

Thankyou

-Tommy-

ps- my e-mail for better contact is pawn2queen@aol.com

TommyLUD86
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Marlin 336 .35
Marlin 336A .30-30
Ruger 10/22
Ruger .45-70 gov

Re: Hog hunting in Culpeper

Postby DavidG » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:42:46

Tommy, as far as I know there are no wild boar in Virginia except on some private game reserves which charge for hunting. West Virginia has a season for them which is done by a lottery system to get a tag for hunting them.

DavidG
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: David

My Arsenal:
only I know...

Next Firearm:
H&K 40cal.

Postby TommyLUD86 » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:54:57

i've been calling all over VA. yes it's true that there are game preserves here and there. But from what i've been told by local gun dealers and taxidermists up in Culpeper County there are a lot.

But i'm a little timid about jsut walking up to a door, "cold turkey", and in a round about way asking to hunt on their land.

There are hogs in VA. It's just a matter of people letting you hunt them on their land.

TommyLUD86
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Marlin 336 .35
Marlin 336A .30-30
Ruger 10/22
Ruger .45-70 gov

Postby Diomed » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:12:26

TommyLUD86 wrote:There are hogs in VA. It's just a matter of people letting you hunt them on their land.

That's true, there are feral hogs in this state. But there are not very many. Virginia is not like the states of the deep South, where hogs run rampant through the countryside and even machinegunning them from aircraft isn't enough to slow them down. Ours are under comparative control, and places to hunt them are limited and not usually open to outsiders.

There's a lottery-based hunt on public land in Tidewater, that's about it.

Perhaps consider coyote, there's plenty of them to go around.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 07 Sep 2010 13:03:56

If you're in Norfolk, you could try NC... they have a problem with Hogs in the SouthWestern portion of their state...

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby Vahunter » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 17:08:04

Yeah Culpepper has the hogs but gaining access is just about impossible. From what a guy that lives there told me, someone bought the hogs to open a hog shooting preserve. Since hog hunting preserves are illegal in virginia he turned them loose. A few years ago there were a few pay to hunt hog hunting places that were fenced but they got shut down by the DGIF. You could apply for the hog hunt in Va, Beach, it's done by a drawing and the cut off date is sometime in october. Details are in the hunting regs. book.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

ads

Return to Hunting in Virginia