Hornady Die Set 22 K-HORNET (.224)Die Set 22 K-HORNET (.224)
Hornady
    Hornady Die Set 22 PPC (.224)Die Set 22 PPC (.224)
Hornady
    Hornady Die Set 22/250 ACKLEY IMPDie Set 22/250 ACKLEY IMP
Hornady

Experienced shooter but new hunter looking for help

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

Re: Experienced shooter but new hunter looking for help

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:21:45

I neglected to say what I said on an earlier post (about squirrel hunting, IIRC):
Go where the food is.
Deer eat acorns, buds, many ground-cover plants and laurel leaves; which are all over the place. But they much prefer some poor farmer's crops. Find a fruit tree. The Forest Service plants "food patches" in clearings in National Forest out here; but not a lot. And a lot of heavy-duty hunters place feeders in the off-season. But they have to discontinue that beforte season starts.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby GrayFeist » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:47:23

Welcome to hunting! We need as many people of all ages to start hunting as we can. That's how we pay for wildlife management!!!

You are not alone with looking for someone to show you the ropes. That actually prevents a lot of people from getting into hunting.

If you ever want to go squirrel hunting, let me know!
-Marc Gray

Gray's Mountain Feist Squirrel Dogs
http://graysfeist.yolasite.com/

GrayFeist
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Browning SA-22
Marlin Model 60
Remington 870 Express

Next Firearm:
As many as possible.

Postby Bicycleman » Fri, 11 May 2012 12:55:51

Anyone who wants to learn how to hunt needs to be commended because there are quite a few hunters out in the rural areas of Virginia and those NC counties bordering Va, who have never learned how to hunt. Their idea of hunting is standing on the road or perching themselves on a chair built into the bed of a pickup while their dogs go into the woods to chase deer back into the road to be shot by these same individuals, who if they ever had to go into the woods would probably have a heart attack from the exertion required.

Bicycleman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Not senal, are you senal?

Previous

ads

Return to Hunting in Virginia