is chickahominy wma good for squirrel hunting

A place to trade stories, pictures and outings. If you're looking for a place to hunt, ask here. Please discuss camping here as well as anything else that you do during hunting season - preparations, scouting, etc.

is chickahominy wma good for squirrel hunting

Postby mr1000fps » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 00:49:18

been taking my son squirrel hunting on a few wmas--ragged island,hog island..carlisle tract...and none to be found. is it worth the long ride to chick??..is anyone bagging these critters anywhere?....any help would be much appreciated and kept on the down low...im in norfolk and the gas money is getting crazy...wouldnt mind it if we had a few of these tree rats to bring home....by the way,we hunt with spring powered air rifles its more sporting and less noisy......thanks guys

mr1000fps
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: DENNIS

My Arsenal:
crosman phantom 1000

Re: is chickahominy wma good for squirrel hunting

Postby M1A4ME » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 07:47:51

Squirrels follow the food. And they will sit tight in an area with plenty to eat until its gone and then move to look for more food.

I live about 20 miles south of Richmond and I'm not seeing any squirrels in my yard or back lot. I've got black walnuts covering the ground under my 3 walnut trees (I raise the mower deck up when mowing under them or it sounds like I'm trying to mow the driveway) and still the squirrels aren't coming around. Its either because they've got plenty of food where they are or they left earlier in the year looking for food.

Typically a few (my dad always called them "seed squirrels" because they hang around in the area and have litters next year even though most of the squirrels left the area in the fall of the year to find food) squirrels will hang around anyway but they really have to work hard to find something to eat.

Good luck in your search for a hunting area. Getting the kids out in the woods is a really good thing to do. Some of the best "together time" there is. No cell phones, no video games and no sleeping (unless they're little and they get tired out from walking and the afternoon warms up nicely - hard for us old guys to stay awake when that happens :whistle:

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:50:01

I was just at the Chickahominy WMA, earlier this week. However, I was there to annihilate a cardboard box, not to hunt. That said, I live about 25 minutes from that WMA, and I've got squirrels all over the place.

I would say that it's worth the trip simply because you're spending time with your boy. You could plan on utilizing the free shooting range, while you're there.
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby mr1000fps » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:45:52

thanks for the info,im looking forward to chick on my next outing.

mr1000fps
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: DENNIS

My Arsenal:
crosman phantom 1000

Postby Sensai » Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:41:16

Around my area, Surry County, they're cutting acorns right now. There are a bunch of them in the oak woods, but not too many right around the house. I think that the hickories will be next. I hope that the leaves have fallen and a frost has come before they start on the hickories, though. That's my favorite time to hunt them, when the trees are bare and they're cutting hickory nuts. They seem to be preoccupied then, and so territorial that they'll practically dare you to shoot them. I gladly oblige! :roll:

Sensai
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Gary

My Arsenal:
What arsenal, I don't got no steenkin' arsenal.

Next Firearm:
Brno/CZ 22 Hornet

Postby rustyshack11 » Wed, 09 Nov 2011 02:01:08

I went out there a couple times last year and didn't see a single squirrel either time

rustyshack11
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: no

Postby GrayFeist » Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:50:34

This was a good squirrel year, fellers! Chicahominy is best to hunt AFTER gun season for deer. I hunt all around the state and primarily hunt squirrels. If any of y'all want to go for a hunt over squirrel dogs, let me know.

There is some concern that 2012 may be a bast year for hard mast (acorns, hickory nuts, etc.) but we will see.
-Marc Gray

Gray's Mountain Feist Squirrel Dogs
http://graysfeist.yolasite.com/

GrayFeist
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Browning SA-22
Marlin Model 60
Remington 870 Express

Next Firearm:
As many as possible.

Postby imaduckin » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:52:02

before i moved to fredericksburg 5 years ago i hunted the chick wma full time for deer and even squirrels. the secret to that place is stay off the tops of ridges cause they are use to seeing hunters there (easier walking) . go to the bottoms of some of those deep ravines where theres little creeks, thats where the squirrels and most of the hollow trees will be. theres a few ravines that could hide a 10 story building in. look for white oak trees and sit down for awhile, youll see squirrels

imaduckin
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: david

My Arsenal:
gritshooter

Next Firearm:
browning maxus

Return to Hunting in Virginia