Your Carry Position

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Your Carry Position

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 12:20:09

Quick show of hands.

How do you currently carry your sidearm? What works/has worked best for you?

Elaborate on the pros/cons of your style.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Re: Your Carry Position

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 15:45:39

Open, crossdraw.

If I carry on my right hip, my hand is practically in my armpit before the gun clears the holster. Also, when carried in the crossdraw position, it's more difficult for someone to sneak up behind me and grab it. To further reduce temptation, if I clasp my hands together and let my arms hang loosely, my left arm hangs over the holster and my right hand is right there, in case of emergency. It also seems that carrying in a crossdraw position seems to attract less attention. I'm a fairly small framed guy, so a revolver with a 6 inch barrel looks like a cannon when hanging off my belt, yet most people don't notice. And, when they do, they wonder, out loud, how they missed it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 15:48:12

I carry between 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock. Usually IWB with a very strong forward cant to reduce printing.

Similar to this....

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:32:54

in a holster. :wave: :hysterical:

generally 3-o'clock,
IWB if CCW
open will be a safariland level 3 retention

The 3-o'clock matches what I did for competition use so there are some reasonably well trained motions for a draw from that location. I have very good performance numbers so I know how long I need from start the draw to bang. Also I find it the easiest location to defend against a take away attack.

I prefer the open carry for a few personal reasons. Much greater comfort than IWB. Better access when seated in a vehicle. The holster design provides for much better retention than any open top CCW design.

I do prefer to run a lower profile so much more of my carry is concealed these days even though I prefer open.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:50:33

I've mostly been carrying IWB at my back using a Remora, which has been most comfortable for me lately.

I should stick to appendix or 3-4 o'clock for quicker access, and to avoid breaking my back if I somehow fall backwards. I don't typically carry OWB unless I can stack multiple layers; I would say it's close to never that I'm open.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Postby M1A4ME » Sun, 31 Jan 2016 16:51:59

My CZ P07 sits in an IWB holster on my right hip. Under my t-shirt and jacket.

For yard work I carry it in CZ drop leg holster on my right side. Only issue I've had with that is sometimes, when I hit a bump the grip will shut off the mower deck on my ZT mower.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby skeeterss0 » Mon, 01 Feb 2016 14:48:43

IWB 4 o'clock in an alien gear holster, with a cant for easier draw. Always with something covering it.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby AlanM » Mon, 01 Feb 2016 15:05:06

My position on carry?

Always.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 01 Feb 2016 16:27:16

Alan is the same guy who puts "Frequently" on job applications in line that says Sex?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Tue, 02 Feb 2016 06:52:15

MarcSpaz wrote:Alan is the same guy who puts "Frequently" on job applications in line that says Sex?

Actually, "Yes, Please."
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby bali » Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:20:12

front pants pocket holster, always and nearly everywhere.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:25:01

IWB, Small of my back....

Please Mr. Robber.... ask me to "reach for my wallet"... :hysterical:

Considering I had to draw it twice living in the city, and show it ONCE to make a mugger go "SHIT NO!", and fall into gravel... seems to work.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby bali » Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:05:15

he's a lot more likely to not only let you reach into your pocket, he'll EXPECT to see your hand emerging from you pocket, with SOMETHING in it. Then it's far too late to keep me (at least) from putting a round into his head.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Jon » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 16:08:35

IWB Kydex at 4 o'clock.

The full size is a "flush fit" or "deep conceal" with zero cant. (cold months)

The smaller one is at a 15* cant. (warm months)

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Jon
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jonathan

Postby wittmeba » Tue, 11 Oct 2016 13:42:47

skeeterss0 wrote:IWB 4 o'clock in an alien gear holster, with a cant for easier draw. Always with something covering it.

I carry at 2:37 AM in a Kydex IWB. :hysterical:
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Handguns/Pistols