What To Avoid?

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

What To Avoid?

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 02:08:48

So, the other day, TBH expressed an interest in picking up another handgun. Next time we come home, we'll probably swing by a gun shop or two, and let her check out the selections.

Every so often, we revisit the topic of what guns are recommended, and, indeed, I believe that we just did. Just for fun, let's try something different.

What brand or model of handgun(s) would you suggest avoiding, and why?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: What To Avoid?

Postby Snakester » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 07:56:00

I would avoid a .380 Revolver !!!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 08:06:28

Lol, I seem to recall making a similar suggestion, not too long ago...

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby jdonovan » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 09:23:51

need to narrow the selection process a bit, if you're looking for a CCW choice the S&W 460xvr, would be bad, but if bears were on the menu that 380 revolver would be a bad choice... for a number of reasons.

So whatcha looking for this new tool to do for you?

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby allingeneral » Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:09:07

Snakester wrote:I would avoid a .380 Revolver !!!

Hahaha :roll:
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 01:31:21

@JD: Since neither TBH or I have a CHP at the moment, she's not much concerned with concealability. The primary purpose of the tool, will be to stop a threat, should a threat arise. The largest threat we would expect would be about human sized, or maybe the size of a large dog, depending on where we are. Not much worried about bears.

In discussing this with her, she has mentioned that a revolver with a 6" barrel would be too big; specifically the barrel would be too long for her to wear comfortably. On the other hand, a little .22 Derringer, for example, would be too small, because she wants something big enough to grasp firmly.

I didn't really want to narrow things down, but so much, though. While TBH, and her new want, promted the creation of the thread, I wanted the thread to be generally useful to others who might be searching for a new gun, but may have a different set of requirements. So, whether you have a complaint about a .500 S&W, or a .22 Lorcin, whether the complaint is with quality control or customer service, this is the thread to air it.

Besides, last time I went to buy a gun, I ended up buying 2 of them, lol. So, just because because I'm setting out to let TBH pick out her very own gun, doesn't mean that I won't find one that tickles my fancy, and a price that I'm willing to pay. My only requirement seems to be that it must function.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby WRW » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 08:17:45

No brand or model avoidance advice, but you might want to avoid the long lines after Election Day.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 13:50:24

so some suggestions then.

Glock 20 - 10mm means never having having to wish you brought more semi-auto power, if the 20 is more power than you want, or need, go G19, the ubiquitous semi-auto 9mm.

Ruger GP100. One of my favorite current production, 357 revolvers. Responds very well to a little polishing, and some replacement springs. Have had several shooters comment about how they like the one I worked over.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby kelu » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 14:45:37

Pure curiosity, what would be a good pistol for bears? Not grizzly, but those in our area.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 15:04:33

This area, means black bears. While not the norm, black bears can top 500-600 lbs here in VA. And average size animals can be 300lbs.

If you want a semi-auto, I'd really want nothing less than a 10mm... and that's probably marginal as I wouldn't go out hunting one with that gun intentionally.

On the revolver side, 44 mag minimum, but would be much happier with a 454.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby kelu » Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:14:49

Thanks John, I just learned about 10 mm "FBI" mild ammo :hysterical:
As always, something to learn from you. :hi:
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 00:54:23

The Ruger GP100 is something that has been on my personal list for a while. TBH likes them, as well.

As far as Glocks go, neither TBH or I are particularly enamored with the idea of plastic pistols. Which is not to say that we'd never have one, but we won't be seeking one, specifically. We both like having some weight to our guns.

I do like the sound of a 10mm, though. We may not be hunting bears, but when my wife is driving our personal vehicle anywhere in the vicinity of Richmond, I frequently find myself sitting at intersections in some really ghetto-ish places. I don't know why she gravitates to these areas; we've got no business there. There are some right big fellers living in those parts, I have observed. And, I've seen what some drugs can do to some folks.

Anyway, we're in no rush. I think that she mainly wants to just pick something out for herself, so that she can say that it's hers.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby M1A4ME » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:15:09

I'm in the process (near month end my replacement license will be 30 days old) of buying my 5th CZ compact pistol. I've been down a long/expensive road of buying/trying different pistols the last few years.

Two years ago I bought a CZ P07 (plastic framed) in .40 S&W and found that not only was it comfortable in my hand it was reliable and very accurate. That led to some non-compact sized CZs in both plastic and steel frames and the hand fit, reliability and accuracy has continued.

Back to the compacts. I've bought a CZ 75 Compact in 9MM, a CZ P01 (compact sized by has an aluminum frame and rail for a light) in 9MM, a P07 in 9MM (plastic framed - my youngest son shot it and was so impressed he ended up with it), and I've got another CZ 75 Compact in 9MM on layaway. My oldest son bought a CZ 75 Compact in 9MM and is looking for a second one now (he really needs to take the first one shooting).

9MM, with the right ammo and bullet placement should do for human or dog sized protection work. Just remember that having more rounds to expend means using them to make sure the threat is no longer a threat.

The front tritium night sight on my P01 failed a few weeks ago (worked one night and couple nights later it was dead). I e-mailed CZ USA, got a reply and a fedex shipping/return label to print out that same day. I wrapped the P01 slide up in a padded envelope and took it to FedEx and they put it in a box and sent it to CZ USA. I got it back a week later with a new front sight on it. Excellent customer service, too. The gunsmith that answered my first e-mail responded to my later questions about them receiving the slide and getting it turned around, very quickly and explained what they were doing.

I took my oldest son and one of his buddies shooting a couple months back. We took a PA 14, an M&P 9MM, an XDM 9MM, a CZ P01, a CZ Compact 9MM, an CZ P09 in .40 S&M (several brands/three calibers). They were so impressed with the CZs that they've ended up buying CZ Compacts of their own after getting their concealed carry permits.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:17:20

mild 10, is what gave birth to the 40 S&W. And in the early 90's when projectile design wasn't quite as advanced as it is today, it offered a real and tangible increase in terminal effectiveness over the 9mm that was the LE issue cartridge of the day.

And 10mm becomes very interesting when you take som high performance ammo like underwood, or double tap, and put it into a 16" carbine like the mechtech.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:52:03

My personal experience... I don't like Ruger or S&W.

I would stay away from any weapon that has a high bore axis, an overly long slide on the semi-auto, and/or heavy/long trigger resets. If you want a quality weapon, stick to well known brands with those caveats and I think you will do okay.

I can't recommend enough, find a range that rents a wide variety of pistols and find a style and/or brand you like.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:25:54

My one and only 9mm pistol is my current EDC and the one that I gave to my daughter as her college graduation present is a Stoeger Cougar 8000F.
I don't care for plastic guns either and the Cougar is all metal.
15 rounds of 9x19 ammo in a nice compact firearm.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:01:04

I need to update my comments. I don't like River or S&W semi-autos. But, if you are going to get a revolver, I like Colt, Ruger, and S&W.

I know, I'm an oddball.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:17:03

I was kinda wondering about your objection to Ruger, Marc. But, now it makes a little more sense.

I wish that we had the time to hit a few ranges, and rent a few pistols. Unfortunately, we find that we barely have the time to do what we need to do, when we come home. Most of the stuff we want to do always gets put off until "next time". One of these days, we'll find jobs that aren't so time consuming, lol.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Tue, 18 Oct 2016 21:29:43

Marc , I had to gasp when you said you didn't like RUGERS....I agree about the S&W Pistols. I have had several and did not like any.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:58:01

Yea, I really don't like their semi autos. I have owned a few and they all had heavy triggers, lots of excessive recoil, and the mechanics were way over complicated for what it was.

Also, I think a lot of people agree with me. I was doing some research and thinking about buying a used pistol. There were more used S&W handguns for sale than all other brands. It's even like that at my LGS as of 2 weeks ago. If S&W is so great, why is everyone ditching them?

But, again, I like many of their revolvers... both brands.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Next

Return to Handguns/Pistols