What To Avoid?

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Re: What To Avoid?

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:35:51

I note that S&W revolvers (Colt, too) are a bit on the expensive side. It kind of makes me wonder if the value of the gun isn't somewhat inflated by the logo stamped on the side.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:46:40

so who else would you say is making a revolver on a quality par with S&W?

I'd say Ruger is a bit behind S&W for fit/finish, but not by much, and they price a bit less expensively.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby WRW » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:25:02

jdonovan wrote:so who else would you say is making a revolver on a quality par with S&W?

I'd say Ruger is a bit behind S&W for fit/finish, but not by much, and they price a bit less expensively.

Quality fit and finish or quality dependability/accuracy. Rossi used to be a good name.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:25:22

Well, yes, Ruger. From personal experience, and testimony from others, it appears that Taurus tends to make a good revolver, too.

I don't require a gun of any sort to win beauty contests. I just want it to make a really loud noise, and hurl a lead chunk with some degree of force and accuracy, whenever the trigger is pulled. (And only when the trigger is pulled, lol)

Taurus and Ruger revolvers look pretty to me, aesthetically speaking, anyway, though.

It's funny; the guns that I used to drool over (Colt Python, for example) aren't as appealing as they once were.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:51:17

Well H, instead of recommending firearms to avoid , I am going to list a few of my favorites. Today Carol and I had a friend of hers and her husband to our range for an afternoon of shooting entertainment today ! We shot every Revolver and Pistol they own and we own . Dave and Karen both carry a Ruger SP101 .357 and shot them first . Followed by a 1911 Sig. a 1911 Ruger and a Kimber 1911 .45 with a 3 1/2" barrel. All very nice , all shot great. Dave also pulled out a Taurus .45 Stainless Judge a .45 Ruger Single 6 and a Ruger Single 6 .22 mag and a .44 mag. He also had a Taurus Stainless .357 mag. 9 shot ( pretty cool ) and their newest revolver a Taurus Stainless .17 HMR 7 shot . They also had several small caliber semi auto pistols . One I really liked was a Rock Island 9mm 1911 with a 3 1/2" barrel. One that I think Karen favors is a Sig. 1911 .22LR....She shot it a lot today. Carol and I both have Sigs. 1911's .22 and Carol says it is her favorite to shoot because it is easy to load and shoots great. Carol and I pulled out a few....Our Sigs. a few Rugers including a .22 Single 6 , a Bisley .357 mag. a Single 6 .41 ( that I haven't shot in a while ) and a SP 101 . Then a few Ruger Pistols...SR.22 and a SR.40 and a .45 1911 . We shot my Rock Island TCM .22 and Dave really liked it but Karen said it was too loud . Everything we shot today was really fun , performed great and I would recommend to anyone. TBH may not be comfortable with the .45's or the .41 but most of the others would probably be just fine. Maybe you and TBH will get a day "OFF" and you can come for a day of shooting !!! :pistol: :pistol: :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:11:19

MarcSpaz wrote:I was doing some research and thinking about buying a used pistol. There were more used S&W handguns for sale than all other brands. It's even like that at my LGS as of 2 weeks ago. If S&W is so great, why is everyone ditching them?

My impression is that there is a glut of used .40 S&W pistols on the market (all brands), and the reason for so many S&W pistols, is that many of them are LE trade-ins. S&W has always been good at police contracts, and my guess is that a lot of used M&Ps are getting rolled over and replaced. Probably with 9mm M&Ps.

disclaimer: I have no real insider info on this. Just speculation mainly.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:32:17

One of these days, Randy, TBH and I will make it back over there to take you up on that offer. We do appreciate it. There's just always so much to take care of, when we do get home.

One of the things that I have noticed with TBH, is that she can handle the larger calibers with ease. I don't know if that makes a gun search easier, lol, but it sure increases the available options.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Oakes » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 23:09:39

Bobbed Hammer S&W. Out of the box the Smiths have the best trigger pulls.
Next I would go Ruger, Charter Arms, Taurus. Colts index in the opposite direction of most others.
If you go Colt stick with Colt. Muscle memory in high stress situations is key and switching back and forth is for pros only. IHMO

Oakes
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 19 Oct 2016 23:25:43

Ruger revolvers have one advantage over S&W revolvers...

You can FIELD STRIP a Ruger revolver, and that means cleaning WAY deep in the springs, and such. Plus? you can "polish" some of the parts, and that removes the "crunchy" mechanism.

After awhile, the revolver is like glass.

Ruger's .22 pistols are GREAT! Their regular calibers? They a'ight I suppose, but you can do more with less money in S&W M&P....

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby kelu » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 18:24:01

I have remembered about the 10mm thread when I saw this article.
From the video, looks like a great round. Is anyone bringing one to the meeting?
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/11/keith-w ... er-pistol/
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Previous

Return to Handguns/Pistols