Lyman Electr Digital Trigger Pull GaugeElectr Digital Trigger Pull Gauge
Lyman
    Lyman Revolution Gun ViseRevolution Gun Vise
Lyman
    Lyman Univ Trimmer w/9 Pilot Multi-PackUniv Trimmer w/9 Pilot Multi-Pack
Lyman

Walther PK380 FTE

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Walther PK380 FTE

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sat, 14 Jan 2012 01:41:50

So I got a Pk380 at the gun show on New Years eve from Trader Jerry, NIB, and took it out for a few spins. By the third day of use, probably within about 50-75 rounds expenditure overall, experienced the first FTE. This happened twice more at the firing range last week going through 100 rounds. Today, it happened three times out of 35 rounds expended, but only when my wife fired it.

We are firing Winchester White 95/FMJ. Gun has been cleaned multiple times, no problems seen internally. Planning to shoot Remington through it Sunday to see what happens.

Any thoughts about the validity of the theories out there about PK380 FTE and ammo type, style of handling while firing, or that it is something that can be broken in by running a lot of ammo through it?  Could S&W maybe have sent out a flawed design and failed to recall it over the last two years? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd hate to tell the wife she is losing her gun.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Re: Walther PK380 FTE

Postby Unkn0wN » Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:14:31

I have had a PK380 for almost 2 years now (march will be 2 years). Not exactly sure how many rounds I have shot out of it, but I would have to guess it would be in the 400-500 round range (just from counting my empty shell holders from the boxes that I kept) and I have NEVER had a FTE. I always use the Winchester white box ammo at the range. I have shot some Remington hollow points through it and some PMJ FMJ ammo through it also. I haven't had not a single hick-up with mine. Love the little thing. That is my summer carry gun. Well it has also been my winter carry gun this year so far too since it hasn't been cold enough to wear a big coat.
'You picked a fight with a warlock you little worm' - Charlie Sheen

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
Unkn0wN
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jerry

My Arsenal:
SA XD(M)-40
Walther PK380
Springfield M1A
Ruger SR-556
Yugo SKS M59/66
Ruger 10/22
Remington 887 NitroMag

Next Firearm:
Something in .30-06

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:05:50

Thanks for the info. Talking with SgtBill, I am hopeful it's just the gun working out the kinks. We too, absolutely love the look and feel of the weapon, and my wife has commandeered it as her own. Good for her ;)

Being only two weeks in of ownership of it, hopefully it will become comfortable with its new masters and home.

Mike

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Walther PK380 FTE

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:51:41

Ran another 150 through the gun last weekend, had 3 FTE's. They occurred late in the game, so maybe it was partially due to residue?

At least the failure rate is at about 1.5%....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby Riana » Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:20:21

My experience with Walthers is that they can be extremely picky about their ammunition. I'd definitely recommend trying different brands of ammo.

If your wife is getting more FTEs than you are, it could well be her grip. See if maybe her wrist is snapping more than it should - that can cause FTE as well.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Riana
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Judy

My Arsenal:
More than one, but less than all of them.

Next Firearm:
Whatever follows me home

Walther PK380 FTE

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 02:09:54

Riana wrote:My experience with Walthers is that they can be extremely picky about their ammunition. I'd definitely recommend trying different brands of ammo.

If your wife is getting more FTEs than you are, it could well be her grip. See if maybe her wrist is snapping more than it should - that can cause FTE as well.

That seems to be what I find out in Internet land when typing in the name in Google. The FTE's do seem to occur with her and not me, so we'll look into her grip further.

I wish I had researched this gun more prior to purchasing it!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby randyaf » Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:49:01

It could also be that she is getting what some shooters call a limp wrist. Her wrist is giving with the recoil too much causing the action to not fully cycle. Of course I could be totally wrong. Just my opinion.
Randy

randyaf
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
Glock G22, Ruger GP100 327 Mag

Postby table42 » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:22:13

I tried some hollowpoint reloads thru mine yesterday. No issues. I haven't tried any steel case stuff like Tula, but everything else seems to run very well. No issues. You mentioned residue biuld up and you might be on to something there. I hangout at the WaltherForums.com alot and other PK380 uses notice problems can be related to keeping the weapon clean and well oiled especially when new. I have about 300-400 hundred thru mine and it has been 100%. My wife has fired it some.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
table42
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Walther
Remington
Winchester
Marlin
Ithaca

Postby jrswanson1 » Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:37:14

Definitely sounds like your wife is limp wristing. Small guns like that need a good grip. Tell her it's a gun, she's not going to break it with her grip!

One other thing, small guns like that are meant to be carried a lot, not shot a lot. Keep the range sessions to less than 50 rounds. That's my limit with my PF9. Too much fatigue with that little pocket rocket to shoot a lot.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag