Tom Givens on semi-auto pistol reliability

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Tom Givens on semi-auto pistol reliability

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:39:31

Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Re: Tom Givens on semi-auto pistol reliability

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:56:24

Pretty funny. I've talk about being at point blank gun point, knowing that you are about to get shot no matter what... do you attempt to take the semi-auto out of battery by grabbing the slide and pushing it away from you? I would. If it means that worse case, I got shot once vs. best case not at all, definitely.

It doesn't take much to make the gun malfunction, which is why its so important to practice clearing malfunctions. You don't want to fire a single shot and not know how to recover from it in an emergency.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:03:23

MarcSpaz wrote:..do you attempt to take the semi-auto out of battery by grabbing the slide and pushing it away from you?

I would attempt to plug the barrel with my finger...I've heard that works also.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:30:12

Alright smarty-pants... everyone knows that only works with revolvers. :doh:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Fri, 24 Jul 2015 17:54:23

MarcSpaz wrote:Alright smarty-pants... everyone knows that only works with revolvers. :doh:

:hysterical: Well, this video raises a very real possibility. I can't imagine (rather, prefer not to) being in the situation you brought up, Marc, but understand that it is imperative to prepare for it's unlikliness. Short of always hoping that the gun jams, you undoubtedly need a contingent plan of action. I'd have to think that pushing the slide away from you is a good start, provided you're close enough to your assailant.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

ads

Return to Handguns/Pistols