Gamo Combo Pak 1000 Assort Pellts .177Combo Pak 1000 Assort Pellts .177
Gamo
    Gamo Assorted Pellets .22 ComboAssorted Pellets .22 Combo
Gamo
    Gamo Combo Pak PerformancePellts .177Combo Pak PerformancePellts .177
Gamo

This guy says 1911s suck

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Re: This guy says 1911s suck

Postby Tweaker » Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:55:12

That was a very well reasoned explanation of his viewpoint. I happen to agree with it. Mine is more based on 2nd hand information though, as I have far less experience than the instructor does.
Officially outed waissists: Taggure, Allingeneral, Tweaker, VBShooter, Snaz, Jim, OakRidgeStars, Wylde, clayinva, Komrade Kreutz, scrubber3, Mindflaya'. All the kewl kids are waississ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsW75KJXO4&feature=related

Tweaker
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Guns are icky, I'm here for the jerky recipies!

Next Firearm:
Ooooh, no. They scare my widdo heart!

Postby steelheart » Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:14:48

everyone has opinion. i like my s&w .40 my dad likes his 1911 neither of us like the others pistol. iv shot the all awesome (according to the webvid guy) glock. didnt care for it and i think its a pos. thats my opinion.

steelheart
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: keith

My Arsenal:
s&w tactical .40- .270 remington- 20 ga stephens shotgun

Next Firearm:
beretta 96a1

Postby scrubber3 » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:33:25

The FBI just switched from the glock 22 to the glock 23 for those that want/ need them. The new recruits all get 23s. Most police forces use the glock model 22, 17, 21 and the 23. The US Special forces now use glock almost exclusively. ( trust me on this one). Same with many other special operations groups. This rings true for most military operatives globally. For the time that the 1911 was needed, it performed and the servicemen defended or country using it as a sidearm. Which meant that it was a secondary weapon but nonetheless, they carried them. Did they do the job back then? Sure they did! Did they have malfunctions? Sure they did! But I am sure that the malfunctions were much less common than they are today given the fact that the 1911 was designed in a time where things were made to a higher standard. Not to mention that those soldiers who carried it were trained on how to take care of them properly whereas the common joe gun carrier is not. Is a good 1911 a solid firearm? You bet but they are expensive and the less costly ones to me aren't up to standards and like stated You can have some issues with them.
While I was serving I was issue an M9 at one point. I took that weapon and I cleaned it, lubed it, blessed it, all from the manual. Took it to the range and cursed it for all it was worth. Went to the armored and told him to give me a new one. Went through the same procedure and when I got to the range, I nearly cried as this one was no different. I finally got a properly functioning M9 on the third try. Never had one issue with it and I loved to shoot it. Very smooth, accurate, balanced and just a wonderfully crafted handgun. I became sentimental towards it because the other two just didn't function properly. I thought all pistols where like this. Then came glock. Pull trigger, go bang. Every time with every gun. Anyone should know by now that it is a gun's sole purpose to propell a missile from the barrel when you pull the trigger.

Is the 1911 a good weapon? Hell yeah if you find a good one.
Is the glock a bad weapon? Well if the purpose of said weapon is to propell a bullet from a barrel when the trigger is squeezed then absolutely not. The glock leads the way in this aspect. When heading into a hot zone, I always carried a glock. So do my brothers still serving. There is a reason why my friends. They shoot when dirty, wet, sandy, hell they shoot underwater if the spring cup allows water blow-by as the maritime ones do. Even ones without this cup will more than likely be able to fire more than a few submerged. You can throw your glock on the floor of your truck, step on it, knock it in a puddle, pull it out, shake it off and pull the trigger- go bang. Just like that. And will continue to do so.

The 1911 and the glock are 2 separated beings made in two completely different times. They both have a dedicated following. I'd trust a WW2 era 1911 but I'd trust my glocks even more. This is my opinion. I hope it to be respected as I will respect yours.

Fwiw, I'm saving for a nice 1911. I welcome any suggestions pertaining to this fact.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby scrubber3 » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:40:31

On a side note, the YouTube poster, no matter what his opinion is should have used better tact if he wanted to get his point across. The vid should have been titled "why I prefer glock". No need in being a childish prick. I think the testosterone injections are affecting his judgement. That's just my opinion though.

I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby TheBigHeadGuy » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:03:53

Just throwing it out there.

Had we not beat the Germans...

We would all be arguing over P38s and their variants.

And the only companies that would exist would be:
Heckler & Koch
Sig Sauer
And other GERMAN manufacturers.

But please, for my entertainment, continue your fruitless comparisons.

:-)

TheBigHeadGuy
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Own:
Remington 870 20GA
Ruger 10/22
Owned:
DPMS Oracle
Mosin-Nagant

Postby ratherfish » Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:34:50

No one has to like my 1911's.

I've left instructions that they be buried with me or the survivors are disinherited....
:whistle:

John Moses Browning was a genius, his design is still as dependable as 100 years ago and much more accurate. Just look at the Browning 50!

Glock is easy to train. That's why it has such widespread acceptance. Just immagine the savings of not having to train a 18 year old a manual of arms! Slap in a mag, rack, fire...easy!Bet if John Moses Browning was alive today he'd be channelling his gift through metal and plastic with elegance and simplicity into designs that would meet the same criteria and not be so dad blamed u gu ly!

PS: My opinion only. I would have never delivered it but for a jerk putting down a pistol that's been a hallmark of the art for 100 years. Glocks are great. Be interesting to see if their still in service in 100 years.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
-C. S. Lewis

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
ratherfish
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Will do for now

Postby scrubber3 » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:17:00

TheBigHeadGuy wrote:Just throwing it out there.

Had we not beat the Germans...

We would all be arguing over P38s and their variants.

And the only companies that would exist would be:
Heckler & Koch
Sig Sauer
And other GERMAN manufacturers.

But please, for my entertainment, continue your fruitless comparisons.

:-)

:coffee:
What's your point? This is a forum.... Fruitless comparisons are the driving force behind this kind of stuff...

scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:26:56

If the Nazis had taken over the world in 1945, we wouldn't be allowed to argue unsupervised on the internet. There wouldn't be an internet, and we would have long since had any inclination to argue either bred or beat out of us.

Ve vould haf our orders, und zat vould be zat.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby scott9050 » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:58:01

grumpyMSG wrote: Funny how he seems to think Glocks always go boom when you pull the trigger

Sometimes in more ways than one. :hysterical:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
scott9050
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: William

My Arsenal:
Springfield .40 XD sub
Beretta PX4 Storm compact .40
Beretta PX4 Storm 9 MM
Stoeger Cougar .40
DPMS AR15
Taurus P145 Pro
Mossberg A500
91/30 Mosin-Nagant

Postby speezack » Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:14:48

I qualified with and carried a 1911 from basic at P.I. (USMC) in 1961.... I have owned several over the years... I don't own a Glock but I am sure they are great guns.... my take on this entire thread... guns are like cars and women... whatever 'flips your trigger' (no pun intended) is what you buy, carry and shoot. My experience has been very good with the 1911 and I will continue to carry mine regardless of all this hupla...

I do however, want to make sure I find and buy............... a BLUE GUN !!!! :roll:
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
... can you ever have enough????

Next Firearm:
always wanted..... M1918A2 BAR, for varmits and such...

Postby zerodown1 » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:44:13

Chasbo00 wrote:Caution: Not family friendly for language

My thoughts on this are that you can learn something from everyone. If this guy is as experienced as he says, and I have no reason to doubt Him,then the observations he has made over the years are valid. Personally,I don't care what kind of gun it is,I have 1911s and glocks, if a gun malfuntions and it is not a shooter induced malfuntion,I don't trust it for a defensive firearm. So far my glocks have never malfunctioned but neither has the particular 1911 that I shoot.(Kimber). IMHO,for a defensive carry gun,simple is best. The less you have to do to get that firearm into service when you need it,the better. Like he said,it has to go bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of what gun it is. There will always be the Ford is better than Chevy mentality to deal with with guns and every thing else,and thats ok. Differences of opinion as long as they are based on factual information is how we learn. Like any gun you want to,like em all,I do,just ask yourself about the one you choose to carry for defensive purposes, and answer yourself honestly. Has this gun gone bang every time without fail.If not reconsider. Remember old Murphys law, it will let you down if its going to at the worst of times.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor basic pistol, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter
Beware of wolves in sheedogs clothing

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
zerodown1
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Sensai

My Arsenal:
All my gun were stolen. I did not file a police report.

Next Firearm:
Hello kitty bubble gun

Postby Wolvee » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:04:39

I'm in the 1911 Haters club but for a couple reason. The first is I don't like .45acp. You give up too many rounds and generally speaking, and unless you're a Rob Leetham you can't shoot it as fast as you can a a smaller caliber. Lastly, I when I run my guns I beat the crap out of them. 1911's unless you spend $3k, you're not going to get a combat pistol, you're going to get a nice range gun. ...nothing wrong with that if that's all you want. I'm also not a pro so transitioning platforms just screws me up.

I've made the joke several times that I can't afford to make a 1911 reliable so I shoot Hk's. :hysterical:

One of my instructors at MDFI told me that if there were a production 1911 he had to choose for $1k it would be a S&W or a Sig. I know he has had a S&W but in the classes when he does run a 1911, it's a Nighthawk. He said that if the S&W or Sig runs right out of the box they can be tuned for very little in order to keep up with other guns in the classes.

YMMV of course If that's what tickles you fancy, I'm cool with it. No gun is perfect I do think that a nice stainless 1911 is a piece of art.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
*No evidence found*

Postby speezack » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:18:19

I think this guy is probably correct... I certainly don't have his expertise in this matter... but, having said all that... and for whatever reason... I like my 1911's... I might mention that I don't carry one... in fact, my carry weapon has the absolute worst trigger of any small guns I have.. .but it has never failed to fire and I have put many, many round through it... are ya ready for this.... Taurus, Millennium Pro... .45... ok, I know... I know... but it is concealable, small and has never given me a minutes trouble... of course, I do keep it very clean and shoot it often.... sure wish I could improve the trigger but have been told... impossible to do... so I just live with that... I am used to it.... must be the 'macho ego' thing with me I guess..... at 68 years old... I need all the 'macho ego' sht I can muster............. :roll:

PS: never owned a Glock... fired a few... I don't like the "feel".... for whatever reason... I also drive an older Chevy Duramax... like I said... 'cars and women'.... whatever flips your trigger............. you choose.
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
... can you ever have enough????

Next Firearm:
always wanted..... M1918A2 BAR, for varmits and such...

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:46:11

Wonder what Mr. Pistol-wizard would say about THIS 1911?
Attachments
Glock-1911S.jpg
The mythical Glock 1911
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:22:50

"Nice Photoshop but you're living in a dream world."

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
*No evidence found*

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:23:12

Wolvee wrote:"Nice Photoshop but you're living in a dream world."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It may be somebody's dream, but it ain't mine. Shame there ain't an emoticon for "tongue in cheek".
-Thomas Jefferson

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:54:21

speezack wrote:I think this guy is probably correct... I certainly don't have his expertise in this matter... but, having said all that... and for whatever reason... I like my 1911's... I might mention that I don't carry one... in fact, my carry weapon has the absolute worst trigger of any small guns I have.. .but it has never failed to fire and I have put many, many round through it... are ya ready for this.... Taurus, Millennium Pro... .45... ok, I know... I know... but it is concealable, small and has never given me a minutes trouble... of course, I do keep it very clean and shoot it often.... sure wish I could improve the trigger but have been told... impossible to do... so I just live with that... I am used to it.... must be the 'macho ego' thing with me I guess..... at 68 years old... I need all the 'macho ego' sht I can muster............. :roll:

PS: never owned a Glock... fired a few... I don't like the "feel".... for whatever reason... I also drive an older Chevy Duramax... like I said... 'cars and women'.... whatever flips your trigger............. you choose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've got a Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro myself. Bought it not too long ago on the recommendation of a friend. Compact for a .45ACP, dependable, and holds 10 rounds of .45ACP. Not a bad heft and feel. All in all, a pistol worth having. But it ain't no 1911, is it?
-Thomas Jefferson

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Previous

Return to Handguns/Pistols