The myth of wartime 1911 inaccuracy

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

The myth of wartime 1911 inaccuracy

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 19:42:23

Larry sets the record straight.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Re: The myth of wartime 1911 inaccuracy

Postby Chasbo00 » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 20:46:46

Most people don't shoot a pistol well. That's as true today as it was during WW2, and it's not the gun.

The good news is this is fixable if one is interested in doing so.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby HighExpert » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:16:04

There is also the problem of the term "accurate". I don't feel a group of 6-7" at 20 yes qualifies as "accurate". I have several custom 1911s that shoot 1.5" at 50yds. I have two out of the box Glocks that will stay inside 3" at 25 yes. Is the gun shooting well enough to solve a problem at 20 yes? Yeah, I guess. Accurate? No.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby Chasbo00 » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:58:43

HighExpert wrote:There is also the problem of the term "accurate". I don't feel a group of 6-7" at 20 yes qualifies as "accurate". I have several custom 1911s that shoot 1.5" at 50yds. I have two out of the box Glocks that will stay inside 3" at 25 yes. Is the gun shooting well enough to solve a problem at 20 yes? Yeah, I guess. Accurate? No.

You are right of course regarding accuracy; it's a relative thing. I suspect you are/were a bullseye shooter. Most folks, excluding competition shooters, can't shoot a 12 inch group at 20 yards even with an accurized bullseye gun having a light trigger.

A sub 2" capability gun at 50 yds. is what you need if you are shooting bullseye to win. But, a 1911 that can do that will likely have operating issues if it shoots a lot of rounds in a short time such as required by action pistol shooting or some combat situations. The gun heats up and thermal expansion plays havoc with those tightly fitted parts. A combat service pistol needs to be reliable under these type conditions.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby grumpyMSG » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 22:41:09

HighExpert wrote:There is also the problem of the term "accurate". I don't feel a group of 6-7" at 20 yes qualifies as "accurate". I have several custom 1911s that shoot 1.5" at 50yds. I have two out of the box Glocks that will stay inside 3" at 25 yes. Is the gun shooting well enough to solve a problem at 20 yes? Yeah, I guess. Accurate? No.

I respect Larry Vickers' opinion and enjoy it when he actually tests "conventional wisdom". Comparing a WWII Remington Rand to a custom tuned 1911 or a Glock is pretty pointless. John Browning designed a combat pistol with slop and clearances that would allow it to function in poor conditions. Larry and friend demonstrated that a 70 year old pistol could still hit the vital organs of a man sized target at a reasonable distance. Now I realize that there have been multiple parts replaced on that pistol along the way, but I would venture the guess that your custom 1911's shot groups will grow in size by the time they are that old and I have some serious doubts about how many Glocks will last that long.
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby WRW » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 23:13:54

The comment was made that merely changing the sights would considerably change the performance of the WWII firearm. It would have been nice if they had demonstrated that improvement.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby M1A4ME » Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:11:58

The 1911A1's we had in our armory where all WW2 guns. Remingtons, Ithacas, Union Switch & Signal, Singers, etc.

If you grabbed one firmly in you hand and shook it, it rattled like a coffee can with nuts/bolts in it.

I had no problems knocking down pop ups at 50 meters with the one I got out of the arms room.

What size groups would it shoot? I don't know, it hit the man sized targets just fine.

So many people get hung up on "match guns" when they can't really make good use of it anyway.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby HighExpert » Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:34:30

I was not comparing modern 1911s with WWII arms. I was commenting on the use of the word accuracy. I see it used all the time in the ads for modern weapons. The word, in its modern context, means virtually nothing. It is like "awesome". You definition and mine may differ considerably. I would prefer it be spelled out IE. Ransom rest, 25yds. White box hardball, 2" group for 5 rounds. Now I know what the gun will do. Otherwise, how good was the shooter? What is the group size? What was the ammo used?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby WRW » Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:08:11

The word used was "inaccuracy". The one time I heard the word "accuracy" used, it was quantified as "accurate enough for battle" and target use provided proof of that assertion.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 14 Jan 2015 08:52:26

WRW wrote:The comment was made that merely changing the sights would considerably change the performance of the WWII firearm. It would have been nice if they had demonstrated that improvement.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why demonstrate the obvious? Even as a 1911 fan, I'll tell you in a heartbeat that the GI 1911 sights suck.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby WRW » Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:50:37

dorminWS wrote:
WRW wrote:The comment was made that merely changing the sights would considerably change the performance of the WWII firearm. It would have been nice if they had demonstrated that improvement.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why demonstrate the obvious? Even as a 1911 fan, I'll tell you in a heartbeat that the GI 1911 sights suck.

Yeah, I've looked down those sights. When making a point, though, it is nice to demonstrate a proof of said point.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby screwedbygoogle » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:54:02

The 1911 has always been capable of combat accuracy!

Just not match accuracy!

I thought those two were pretty sharp. When they have nothing to say I suppose they get rather dull.

What's next? A beauty contest for glocks.

I had better get out my tiny Glock bikinis and send their evening gowns to the cleaners.

Barbie won't miss them for one day.

Message sent from my stupid phone (Samsung) and delayed by US Cellular

screwedbygoogle
On Target
On Target

Postby dusterdude » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:43:16

My springfield 1911 was a great shooting gun,i miss that thing everyday [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby battledrill4 » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 15:02:26

Yeah, comparing an original to the insanity that I saw some of the D-boys carrying around in Afghanistan is a little silly. But those things were unbelievable nonetheless.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
battledrill4
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Trent

My Arsenal:
Glock 19

Postby bali » Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:26:00

I"ve seen quite a few that would not group 10" at 25 yds. Back in the day, many bores had been ruined by not cleaning after firing corrosive priming.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:28:39

realistically, if you are being shot-at and all you have is a handgun, with no ear-protection, no cover, and nothing upon which to brace the gun, you're going to miss the entire man with half of your shots at a mere 10 yds, and most will do that badly at 5 yds. Most will miss the chest, most of the time, at 10 FEET. It wont matter that your pistol groups 1" at 25 yds, believe it. it wont matter if all it will group is 10" at 25 yds, cause that's all the better anyone's ever proven that they can do, while actually under fire. it's always one lucky hit, or multiple misses prove that the hit was a lucky one! :-)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

ads

Return to Handguns/Pistols