Lockdown Key RackKey Rack
Lockdown
    Lockdown Handgun Rack, 4 gunHandgun Rack, 4 gun
Lockdown
    Lockdown Handgun Rack, 6 gunHandgun Rack, 6 gun
Lockdown

Ruger LCP vs. SW Bodyguard (.380)

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Ruger LCP vs. SW Bodyguard (.380)

Postby speezack » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:50:57

Looked these two over very closely and decided on the Ruger. My take on it was that the Ruger was a little smaller in width and although I did like the SW safety... and it had a steel guide rod I think... they are both double action and the little Ruger (both in .380) just seemed to fit better... both had lazer sights attached to the trigger guard... the lazer on the Bodyguard had two different settings as opposed to simple on and off on the Ruger... but it was a bit harder to turn on and off, recoil is a bit less in the SW because of the additional small amount of weight.... Ruger is a tad lighter... both are Poly guns... it was a hard choice but the Ruger is now in my pocket...

I was simply looking for a very concealable small caliber weapon that I did not have to tote on my belt ... for some reason, I have always felt self conscious and looked like a "cowboy" when I had a gun stuck in my waistband or shoulder holster or small of the back... in the pocket and it is virtually invisible...

I always have a gun in the car, usually a .45 or .40... but what good is that if it is in the car and you are in a restaurant.. or a MOVIE THEATER... UNARMED?!!

.380... IMHO, is a rather light round but will still deter most... it certainly will still put a nice hole in whatever.... I load hollow points, but whether they will expand or not is questionable... I recon they will....

comments welcome... :packin:
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
... can you ever have enough????

Next Firearm:
always wanted..... M1918A2 BAR, for varmits and such...

Re: Ruger LCP vs. SW Bodyguard (.380)

Postby smd215 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:44:09

Both seam like very nice CCW pieces, though I would likely go with Ruger.

smd215
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
multiple 12 gauge, single break, pumps, bolt action goose gun.
30-30 lever action marlin
.22 pump
30-06 bolt action
7mm Mauser bolt action

Postby Jamie » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:33:00

I think after that Colorado shooting I'm going to start looking for larger-caliber carry guns. I like the 17 rds in my 9mm, but I'd like it a lot more if the one shot I hit him with would put him down.

Jamie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jamie

Next Firearm:
deer rifle

Postby Dooga » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:37:00

I have an LCP and really like it. The gun you're most likely to always carry is the best gun to have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby speezack » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 13:25:34

Yeah, I have a number of subcompacts but they all stick out from the belt or even inside the waist band they are uncomfortable and I have always felt like I was trying to be a "cowboy" when I carried.... anyway... I did buy the Ruger and it is only a .380 but I load the best defense stuff I can find and I like the lazer sight which really helps put the round on target.... and the #1 reason is because it is totally concealable in my pocket and is ready to go and pretty safe even though it has no safety... but being double action it would require pulling the trigger to go off... and of course... revolvers have no safety also.... so there ya have it... I would have liked to have a little more gun but this is better than nothing and I do feel less conspicuous with it in pocket. I do carry a .45 or .40 in the car between the seats.... but outside as mentioned... this will work fine.

Do ya get the feeling that society is changing us.... only recently have I actually felt the need to carry... I always felt like I could take care of myself physically if the need arose but now.. with all the crazy sht out here... I have finally come to the conclusion that you better damn well have a decent weapon in order to keep yourself and your family safe... and that is, unfortunately, a very sad state of affairs.... I'm 68 and I can tell you when I grew up... no one was the least bit concerned about someone pulling a gun in a fight.... at least not where I was raised..... oh, well.... things change... sorry... just got a bit carried away.... :roll:
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby mk4 » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 13:46:39

speezack wrote:Yeah, I have a number of subcompacts but they all stick out from the belt or even inside the waist band they are uncomfortable and I have always felt like I was trying to be a "cowboy" when I carried.... anyway... I did buy the Ruger and it is only a .380 but I load the best defense stuff I can find and I like the lazer sight which really helps put the round on target.... and the #1 reason is because it is totally concealable in my pocket and is ready to go and pretty safe even though it has no safety... but being double action it would require pulling the trigger to go off... and of course... revolvers have no safety also.... so there ya have it... I would have liked to have a little more gun but this is better than nothing and I do feel less conspicuous with it in pocket. I do carry a .45 or .40 in the car between the seats.... but outside as mentioned... this will work fine.

Do ya get the feeling that society is changing us.... only recently have I actually felt the need to carry... I always felt like I could take care of myself physically if the need arose but now.. with all the crazy sht out here... I have finally come to the conclusion that you better damn well have a decent weapon in order to keep yourself and your family safe... and that is, unfortunately, a very sad state of affairs.... I'm 68 and I can tell you when I grew up... no one was the least bit concerned about someone pulling a gun in a fight.... at least not where I was raised..... oh, well.... things change... sorry... just got a bit carried away.... :roll:

you might want to investigate and invest in a pocket holster. it's easier than you think get a finger or something else caught in the trigger guard when presenting from a pocket. i've seen some holsters that are designed to stay put in the pocket as the gun is drawn, while others come out with it and must be shucked off before firing.

another thing to consider is that pocket carry and presentation are quite different than iwb or owb. for one thing, you initial grip on the firearm won't likely be a true full combat grip which means there's a grip readjustment needed in the process. one of Mas Ayoob's books does a great job detailing the differences/strengths/weaknesses of the various carry modes.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby m4a1mustang » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 13:52:42

I looked at the LCP myself until I realized that I could carry a Kahr CM9 in pocket just as easily. I'd rather carry 9mm over .380.

But, it's always better to carry something than nothing at all. So if you're sure the tiny 9mms would still be too big, I'd probably opt for the LCP. It's well built and gets great reviews. One of these days I might still pick one up just to have.

Oh, and ALWAYS carry with a holster. I'd never even think about throwing a chambered pistol in my pocket without a holster. It's far to easy for something to snag and result in a ND, double-action or otherwise.
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

Postby speezack » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:17:07

M4A1, that is very good advice... I will take a look at a holster... in fact, the shop I got it from had one but it seemed a little restrictive, but it may be a good thing to have... I will check them out. I have at least 4 other small frame, subcompacts ranging from 9's to .45... but I just always, as said, felt a little self conscious about carrying on my belt... because no matter how I tried, it was always pretty much visible and I felt like I was trying to be a cowboy... this little pocket pistol is light and very concealable... and as with most things in life.... personal preference and your own value judgement is all that matters... nuff said. :packin:
Bill Marx, Sr.
"Will Rogers"

speezack
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby m4a1mustang » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:33:58

The holster will be tight at first but once it forms to the gun it won't be so restrictive.

Pocket draw takes practice, too. You've to to pull out and hook the hooked portion of the holster on the side of your pocket. That causes it to snag and allows you to pull the pistol out easily.

I highly recommend a holster. The last thing you want to do is shoot yourself in the leg because something gets snagged (or you fumble your draw), or worse yet shoot someone else on accident. You'd be surprised at how easy it is for the trigger to get caught up on fabric or debris in your pocket and result in a ND!
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

Postby Moist » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:29:26

I'd definitely go with the 9mm over the .380. I bought an LC9 as my carry gun and I'm very happy with it, Ruger definitely got a lot of things right with this gun. I carry in an IWB Kusiak holster with Crimson Trace and extra magazine holder. Wearing a shirt that's one size bigger, no one ever knows I'm carrying, and getting to the gun is no problem at all.

Moist
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Mindflayer » Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:47:16

Any gun is better than no gun. I looked at the LCP and LC9 as slimmer deep conceal guns compared to my Airweight 642. Then the M&P Shield came out and I was sold!

In any case get a pocket holster. It will ensure a draw is clean and protect the trigger.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby SherKhan » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:44:16

I have a Mika pocket holster for my LCP. It works very well for me, and is very reasonably priced.

www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
SherKhan
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Hugh

My Arsenal:
Current favorites: Glock 30, Henry .22, Bersa .380 CC

Next Firearm:
.357 Magnum carbine

Postby newdovo » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:08:58

I'll echo the pocket holster suggestions. They are made in many different shapes, sizes, and materials, so you can find one for your gun.
pocket holster.jpg
pocket holster.jpg (28.97 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

The attached picture isn't mine, but is a good representation. I usually carry on my belt. But depending on my clothing choice for the day, I carry a S&W j-frame in a simple Blackhawk pocket holster, similar to the Uncle Mike's in the pic. Covers the trigger guard to keep junk out, and makes it so that the gun stays upright in my pocket. Also keeps the gun from printing. The exterior is kinda rubbery/tacky, so the holster stays in my pocket when drawing the gun.
One nice thing about pocket carry is that you can put your hand on the grip, if your Spidey sense says something's not right, and will not draw notice from others.

Parry

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Postby RocKor » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 23:54:40

If I had to choose a .380 for carry, I would choose the S&W Bodyguard over the LCP. Fit, finish, features and feel are superior to other pocket .380s. Plus it comes with a laser by default, which is nice but not a gamechanger. Also, it has usable iron sights unlike the LCP.

Pocket holsters are a great way to go, but there are very nice IWB options for the Bodyguard as well.

But yes, I would echo getting a quality micro 9mm if I had the choice.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance... wait... when did that happen?
http://www.novaarmament.com/
:victory:

RocKor
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
Arsenal SGL-21-94 AK-103RK
Yugo M59/66A1 SKS
M1891/1930 Mosin-Nagant
Springfield Armory Mil Spec
Springfield Armory XD-45ACP
Polish Radom P64
M44 Mosin-Nagant
Arsenal Makarov
Glock 17Gen4

Postby Redhook98 » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:26:05

I went with the Sig P238. After doing a lot of comparisons, I found it to be the best gun for me. Fits in the hand better and I am able to hide it quite nicely. The quality is top-notch, it shoots like a dream and is accurate right out of the box.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
Redhook98
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Sig M400 Hunter
Sig M11-A1
Sig P238
Ruger 10/22

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:44:50

Jamie wrote:I think after that Colorado shooting I'm going to start looking for larger-caliber carry guns. I like the 17 rds in my 9mm, but I'd like it a lot more if the one shot I hit him with would put him down.

Between the four most common semi-auto defense calibers, 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, and .45ACP there really isn't much difference at all if you're shooting quality HPs. When they work as designed they are all about the same for stopping a threat. Good info can be found here: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defen ... /index.htm

Where things differ is their failure modes. Obviously, if both a 9mm and a .45" bullet fail to expand the larger initial size of the .45 is a benefit. On the downside, .45s appear to clog on heavy clothing much more frequently than say 9mm. Make your choices and pays your money, but there is rarely a one stop hit for any of these defense calibers. They're all underpowered, but represent the best general compromise.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby kanata67 » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:07:43

gunderwood wrote:
Where things differ is their failure modes. Obviously, if both a 9mm and a .45" bullet fail to expand the larger initial size of the .45 is a benefit. On the downside, .45s appear to clog on heavy clothing much more frequently than say 9mm. Make your choices and pays your money, but there is rarely a one stop hit for any of these defense calibers. They're all underpowered, but represent the best general compromise.

Says the guy I suspect has a desert eagle 50. I myself think that a head shot is usually a one stop hit... which is no reason to forget to double tap.
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

when in doubt set it on fire.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby smltooner » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:12:06

I have a Ruger LCP and love it for everyday CC.
I bought this holster from Sportsman's Guide and it is a perfect fit.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/b ... x?a=789164
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby SilentServiceVet » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 20:35:01

I tried the LCP, LC9, and even the Shield, but all seemed too small in my hand. Even my wife felt the LCP was too tiny and she eventually went with a Bodyguard 380. To me, that one feels the most comfortable in my hand, as far as small frame pistols go. My cc is an M&P9c because it's just the right size (to me). Although my favorite gun is my Sig 226, it's not a realistic carry weapon unless open carrying.

Also never been into the idea of a pocket holster, but then again none of my guns are suited for that type of carry. I did order an IWB/OWB holster from Hidden Hybrid for both my wife's Bodyguard and my M&P9c and we love them. Crossbreed is another good IWB holster for cc, but unlike the Hidden Hybrid, it cannot be converted quickly to OWB as well. Hidden Hybrid's small holster for the Bodyguard (and other subcompacts like the LC9 & LCP) is a comfortable fit. Check it out if you haven't yet -- it's their HHH M1 model and they also have one with a pocket for a spare mag.

Some ships are designed to sink ... others require our assistance.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member  
SilentServiceVet
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nate

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P226 MK 25
S&W M&P9c
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W Bodyguard 38
S&W Bodyguard 380
Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 26 Dec 2012 22:49:57

kanata67 wrote:
gunderwood wrote:

Says the guy I suspect has a desert eagle 50. I myself think that a head shot is usually a one stop hit... which is no reason to forget to double tap.

I've never carried anything larger than a 1911 in .45acp. I usually carry a compact Glock in .357SIg or 9mm. Yes, a head shot is usually a one shot deal, but head shots in real self-defense/LE situations are relatively rare.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Next

Return to Handguns/Pistols