Pistol sights - opinions

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Pistol sights - opinions

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:10:17

I am looking for others opinions.

I have a .40 S&W M&P and love the way it feels. But I find the sights are so big they contribute to inaccuracies. The front sight should be about 1/2 the width of stock, rear sight slot sized to fit the front width. The outside of the rear sight should be reduced to allow more view when aiming.

What do others think? Comments?
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Pistol sights - opinions

Postby Chasbo00 » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:55:19

Get what you like. Lots of options here:

https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/smith-wesson-sights/
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby WRW » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:06:28

For pinpoint accuracy ( hunting or target shooting ) I agree. For draw, aim and fire under duress and without warmup draws (cold, as in an emergency situation) it may be quicker to recognize and utilize the current setup.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:55:59

Trijicon Tritium sights. I tried, literally, everything. I put them on every pistol I own. Have zero interest in anything else.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby wittmeba » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:36:01

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking mostly at Dawson and Trijicon AmeriGlo but I want a smaller front dot/sight. I do like the Fiber Optics but don't want a large front sight. Need to hit a store and get some actual hands on viewing.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby M1A4ME » Fri, 30 Dec 2016 08:37:50

When I was younger and my eyes were so very good and I was more stable shooting off hand I never minded the width of the front sights on the 1911's, the S&W or Ruger revolvers. Never gave a thought to it. What I did want, for a carry gun, was a little more distance between the sides of the front sight and the notch in the rear sights. I'd take my S&W and Ruger revolver rear sights apart and file the side of the notch to give me a little more clearance. On the 1911 (Combat Commander) I filed the notch with the rear sight on the pistol (very carefully).

These days, my eyes are the greatest (getting worse over the last 20 years) and I find the iron sights are worthless unless I have my glasses on. That began to concern me greatly a couple years ago and I finally decided to spend the money to take care of that. No, not lasik, but a dot type sight. I can no longer see the front sight without my glasses, but the dot is still there, glasses or no glasses. It is fuzzy without the glasses, but still plainly visible and easy to put on the target.

I had one pistol done. It turned out so well I had a second pistol done. And just a month or so ago I had one done for my wife.

With the dot there is not need to line up the sights, keep them aligned and then align the front sight with the target. You put the dot on the target (the dot doesn't even have to be in the center of the lens, it just has to be on the target) and the bullet hits the target.

It's not cheap. The dot sights I bought cost as much as the pistol cost. The machine work on the slide and the back up sights (in case the dot fails and I do have my glasses on) and the slide refinishing cost about half what the pistol or dot sight cost. I now have more money in a single pistol than I would have ever believed I'd spend on a single pistol, but after the first one I realized it was worth it.

My first (this was an accurate pistol before the work but so much easier to shoot well afterwards). CZ P09 9MM with a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated sight (fiber optics light up the dot when you have enough light, tritium lights up the dot when the fiber optics don't have enough light - no battery/electronics to fail and good for 10 to 12 years).

One of the sight in targets. Only about 7 yds. or so, and I rested my wrists/forearms on the bench as I was making adjustments to the sight. The second group (down in the lower right corner) was aimed at the emblem on the target. It's 7 shots. I'm very happy with it. Happy enough, as I said, to have two more done in a similar fashion. My EDC is a CZ P07 with a similar dual illuminated Trijicon sight.

The one I had done for my wife. CZ 75 Compact with a Delta Point Pro. Uses the DP Pro rear sight on the back of the DP Pro. This one is battery operated. Happy with it so far, can't comment on battery life yet.

My wife shot this target (last of the day) on her first range trip with it. We'd been there two hours (Black Creek) and she was cold and tired and wanted to rest her forearms on the table to make sure she didn't affect the group by wobbling/shaking. The group is 7 rounds. Five with the dot sight and two with the back up iron sights. The one above the big hole is the 3rd shot with the dot and the one below the big hole is the 2nd shot with the iron sights. She's happy with it. Oh, this group was shot with fast/loud 115 grain hollow points, the rounds used for carry/defensive purposes.

As they say, your mileage may vary, but these are working well for us.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby wittmeba » Sat, 31 Dec 2016 13:34:16

That's some pretty good shootin'. Looks pretty consistent.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Return to Handguns/Pistols